New England Trip

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My oldest son who became an Iron Butt Member this summer insists that we take a New England Trip yet this fall. We are planning on leaving MO on 10/12 and headed to central PA where we will pick up his 13 year old son. From there we are headed to Niagara Falls and thence across NY to VT, NH, and ME. From there we head south thru MA, RI, CT, NJ and back to PA where we drop his son off on 10/15 and return home on 10/16. Streets and trips puts it at about a 2,900 mile jaunt. WE know we will not have time to stop and smell the roses much but he wants to get in one more long ride before winter as do I. My question to all the Yankee's in the group is what kind of weather do you typically have at this time of year?

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Grease your boots and bring good rain gear. Electric heated jacket/vest will be comfortable. I hope you have heated grips. The NT has pretty good protection, but that doesn't mean it is warm.

Expect short days and longer nights. You will probably run out of daylight. You will probably see some frost in some of the AMs.
But then you could luck out and have an "indian summer" ride. But I don't trust the weather for a long ride that far from home. It might be a "character buiding" experience - but then you're already a character.

Good luck and have fun. If it were my son I'd ride with too.

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
Over the years I have made 2 trips from Michigan to Bar Harbor Maine in late September. They were 11 years apart. The first trip was sunshine and warm weather. The second trip was cold and rain for most of the ride. Hopefully you will have good weather, but take good rain gear and heated gear if you have it.
On the first trip we were able to ride to the top of Mt Washington, the second trip, road up was closed due to ice.

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
well...if you find yourself on Rt 70 in SE Ohio and need a place to camp....we'll let you stay at our place for free.....we're 4 miles north of 70 on Oh rt 285....exit 186....tent area is towards the back of the property...where the drive turns left, look to your right, you'll see some fire rings and picnic tables...if no one is home...set up anyway....the shower house will still be open.....big sign at driveway says "Barn Yard Camping"

Bike
2010 NT700V
My oldest son who became an Iron Butt Member this summer insists that we take a New England Trip yet this fall. We are planning on leaving MO on 10/12 and headed to central PA where we will pick up his 13 year old son. From there we are headed to Niagara Falls and thence across NY to VT, NH, and ME. From there we head south thru MA, RI, CT, NJ and back to PA where we drop his son off on 10/15 and return home on 10/16. Streets and trips puts it at about a 2,900 mile jaunt. WE know we will not have time to stop and smell the roses much but he wants to get in one more long ride before winter as do I. My question to all the Yankee's in the group is what kind of weather do you typically have at this time of year?

Mike
I just returned from New York and Vermont. Not sure where you going to be in Pa, bit I live in Mechanicsburg, on the west shore of the Susquehanna River. A buddy from Arkansas and I went to Watkins Glen, up along Seneca Lake, East to the Adirondacks, crossed into Vermont on the Ticonderoga Ferry, and stayed at a friends house near Braddleboro, Vermont. The temp last week was in the mid 80's until Friday night...there was frost in the morning. Better to be too warm then cold!

Rt 6 across Pa. is great, there is a short stretch on Rt 59 where you can see Kinzua Dam. A short distance from the dam is the Kinzua bridge, an awesome sight. A short hike up Watkins Glen Gorge is beautiful well worth the time in NY. If you stay in Watkins Glen there is a Hostel at the entrance to the gorge called The Local.

A real highlight of your trip would to spend a couple hours at Motorcyclepedia in Newburgh, NY. It's just over the NE corner of Pa., you'll see over 450 bikes of all types. You can look these places up online. Check Mt. Washington, you have to take a track mounted van...they have snow now.

Honestly, RI. and NJ. are not worth your riding time in my opinion. PM me if you have any questions. I won't be home October 13-15, but I should be home on your trip back through. You would be welcome to crash at my house. BB

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The temp right now is 49 deg. But it is a dry cold. The range this time of year is 90 ti freezing. Just do it.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Right now in Bangor, Maine sunrise is at about 6:30 AM and sunset it 6:18 PM. It starts to get cold fast as sunset approaches. Mornings will be frosty in Maine at this time of year. The long range forecast looks good right now. Enjoy!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mike, If you come to Belfast (On the coast Rte 10 You are welcome to stay with me. I have two guest rooms and two couches. PM me for phone number and details.

Top Bottom