New Farkle

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Not so sure... The dedicated ones are much easier to use so far than any of the ones they are integrating into the bike's software/dash display.

The RT, '21 and up, has a large display and you can integrate Tom Tom maps via your phone. But, the software is very buggy in my opinion and there have been several updates from BMW. It also doesn't have weather like you can have via the XT or other Garmins. When you stop for gas it might take several mins to reload/start after you take off and then may not work the same way each time. They have a long way to go before they are zumo-like.

IMG_20211130_112903.jpg

I much prefer the zumo and if you happen to have multiple bikes, it's easier to switch between those.

IMG_20211114_111304(1).jpg

I think mirroring a phone using android auto or car play would be a much better than trying to support manufacturer gps software. I love the screen of the RT and don't use any of the bmw connected app which is fine, you just don't need it.

The XT has some issues with regards to imported routes and bypassing waypoints automatically vs routes created on the unit. The older units would go to the next waypoint once you get so far past one and get you back on track whereas the XT will keep trying to get you back to the waypoint you missed. Adding a skip waypoint icon help that but hopefully Garmin will fix this in a future update.
I thought BMW was using Garmin as their OE GPS system. I have Tom Tom in our Subaru and Miata and I think the Garmin devices are far superior to the Tom Tom product.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
For the bikes w/Nav unit add-on it's a Garmin device called nav v... but, for the new RT w/large screen it integrates w/bmw connected app which uses tom tom maps.

RTs prior to '21 with analog and lcd dash have a spot for the BMW Nav unit that Garmin builds.

1692884502234.png

The GS bikes that started getting the newer digital TFT dashes also had the ability to utilize the BMW Nav units.

1692884601022.png

The advantage of the above setups is you can utilize the wonder wheel controller on the left handlebar. I don't know how well that actually works so I don't have an opinion on it. I personally like a gps w/touch screen closer so I can access it easier.

In '21 the RTs started getting the bigger dashes and the BMW Nav unit was replaced with the ability to integrate your phone via the bmw connected app.

1692884758853.png

Seems like a great idea but it just doesn't work as well as it should/could and believe it or not the dash feels like it should be larger to accommodate that, even when you use it full-screen.

1692884926913.png

I believe in '22 they started using the large TFT dashes in the K1600 bikes as well.

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
During my working days, I often used MS Streets & Trips but it has gradually been replaced by other software. I still have my original Streets & Trips DVD (non-GPS version) somewhere!
Yep. I still use MS Streets and Trips 2013 (loaded on laptop from CD). I select the route that I want. Export as a GPX file. Insert my Zumo 590 micro SD card and copy the routes. The 590 also allows me to use Tire Pressure monitoring on the Triumph without the expensive OEM system.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I lost my S&T discs but found MS MapPoint 2013 on line for download. It works just like S&T. I've found that even if the names of some motels, gas stations, and restaurants have changed, that there's still something there at almost every intersection or POI. Like Frosty mentions with S&T, routes can be exported as GPX then loaded into micro SD card for my Zumo.

Has anybody tried Tread which has apparently replaced Base Camp?

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have Tread installed when I got my new Zumo, but I don't think it takes the place of base camp. I haven't fooled with it much so I don't understand all I know about it yet.

Mike

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Great topic. My struggle with routing led me to Tyre which worked for a short while and then... stopped working. Had something to do with Google maps license or some such nonsense. Recently I started using gpx.studio. Still learning my way around it. Used it to create a route from my home in Pennsylvania to Marietta, OH. Plotted my course but couldn't import to Zumo 665 due to too many waypoints. Come to find out, gpx.studio placed over 1,000 waypoints along the route. Fortunately, the program provides a way to reduce that number to a manageable amount relatively easy.

I've always had problems importing routes on my Zumo from the micro SD card. Come to find out, my Zumo has a maximum card size of 8gb and I was using a larger card. Fixed that.

Mapping and importing routes to my Zumo still feels awkward to me. Importing custom routes is difficult because they don't always show up in the menu as an option, even though I know they are on the SD card. Later on I'll get a notification that there are new routes to import and Zumo asks if I want to download them now. Is the operating system on a Zumo that slow, or am I just that lucky or expecting too much from this $600 GPS?

You can find gpx.studio at https://gpx.studio/ if you want to take a look. Little bit of a learning curve, but we're getting there. One of it's arguable benefits is that is online, with no native software other than saving your gpx files locally. Apparently, it is also useful to hikers and bicyclers for off-road routing.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
you can try TomTom mapping website. IT is free and lets you export the route to gpx.

IF you have a tomtom gps and it is linked to your tomtom id, the route will automatically sync with your GPS.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You can also try myrouteapp. It is a mapping tool developed in the Netherlands. It is easy enough to use and downloads easily to the Garmin devices but their map depictions don't clearly call out the highways.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Hikers, bicyclists and motorcycle riders are the only ones who rely on a dedicated GPS but that is a tiny potential market.
Yeah, the snake oil of convenience...
But I (and my GF for that matter, who planned all routes for the entire Norway trip) prefer to plan my routes en detail on PC/netbook...
Phone/Google are nice to have for checking accommodations, ferry schedules or potential road blocks ahead, but I like the versatility, accuracy and reliability of my ancient GPS/netbook/MapSource setup...
Deb's 590 died so he opted for an XT and loves it. My 590 is still working so I'm not anxious to jump on the XT bandwagon but maybe next year?
The XT is getting slammed over here in Europe... dreaded RUT issues, obviously can't deal with European road networks/architecture, traffic allerts just destroy your (carefully) planned routing, etc...

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I bought an XT2 for my VStrom and I'm impressed with it so far.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Within the next few months, I'll upgrade from my present 590 to either a XT or XT2? The 590 has been a good unit but too often seems to corrupt the downloaded route with too many unwanted diversions.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Within the next few months, I'll upgrade from my present 590 to either a XT or XT2? The 590 has been a good unit but too often seems to corrupt the downloaded route with too many unwanted diversions.
I have had good service and really like my 595 but the display is really washed out. I have left it attached 24/7 to Traveller due to the built in TPMS system so I suspect the LCD screen had been damaged over time by UV light.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Within the next few months, I'll upgrade from my present 590 to either a XT or XT2?
I'd go for the XT2, improved bike holder/cradle stability, overworked software with less issues...
OTOH is there the size issue; where to put that gadget when un-mounting...

And FWIW: my old '04 Garmin Quest-I just clocked over 130,000km/80,000miles... solid like a Swiss wristwatch...

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you get the XT2, by all means get the protective case. It's worth the extra $.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Looks interesting! Has all the features one could want. Looks like they are still crowdfunding it. I'll wait and see.........

Mike

I'll chime in with my two cents - I had a Zumo XT1 and liked it but...... I just found it challenging to plan your routes on it. Before my big trip last October I upgraded to a Zumo XT2 and fell in love with it. It was so easy to use and easy to see in the sun light. The feature of what's ahead was so useful as it keep me informed as to the nearest gas stations, rest areas, etc, etc. It just added a lot of enjoyment to the long distance ride. My new iPhone 15 pro was no match. And the route planning on it was so easy. It even worked for the Texas Three Twisted Sisters. I did buy a special locking pin set up that kept it perfectly safe on the bike. I also purchased a sun shade visor that looked great and worked great. You can tell I'm a believer!
Wedell

Top Bottom