New FJR

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nice lookin' scoot! Nice upgrades for 2013 as well. I didn't see price on website tho'.

Mike

1fastbob

MSRP* $15,890 (Stone Gray) Available from October 2012

It's there under the specifications tab. I want one!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The FJR has been one of the best (or at least most-favored) LD rides out there. I think they've added everything folks have been wanting without making it a Goldwing sized beast. I believe they've hit a home run if the chassis dynamics and ergos are as good as the features.

And it's only about 50 pounds heavier than our NT.

I'll stick with the NT, though.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I consider that I spent close to $4000 in farkles on my NT before getting it where I wanted it to be, there's not that much difference in price.

But I love my NT and I'm not about to get an FJR.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
When I consider that I spent close to $4000 in farkles on my NT before getting it where I wanted it to be, there's not that much difference in price.

But I love my NT and I'm not about to get an FJR.
Nobody said anything about replaceing my ST700. :)

Bob

Very Nice Update! If Honda does not at least announce a new sport tourer in the next 12 months the Yamaha may be my next bike.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've always thought the FJR was the best looking of the sport tourers.

The C-14 used to be the best bang for the buck but these recent changes to the FRJ w/only a $300 price increase is making it a tie...

I do wish it had the built-in tip over protection of the ST but some have said the frame sliders are okay even if not as good as Honda's solution.

I do hope Honda answers the changes in the market to the competition.. Kawasaki didn't change anything on the C-14 but it was already a great value and the FRJ may not be a new ground-up version but it wasn't bad to begin with so no reason to redesign the wheel when your design is competitive and works well.

Bike
choosing
Once again, competition blows Honda out of the water.
While others improve and innovate, Honda sits on its
ever widening backside and gives us electric bikes and
new off road models. Oh, I forgot the mega ugly model
with the auto transmission. Bummer.

Joe

OP
OP
This is a very interesting bike on paper. It also appears to be a great value for the price. The only thing I can see I don't like is the digital display for the fuel capacity which has very few apparent levels and that reference to a stainless steel exhaust. Hope it is more stainless than some others I have dealt with. Mellow makes a good point about the tip over protection also. Have to get a look at how much protection the paint has when I see it. Notice it has a gear indicator. And some kind of adjustment for the outflow for the engine heat. Would like to see a 3 year warrenty but I guess you have to buy that extra. And it is in some kind of silver. Would save any riding clothes changes for those of us fond of grey. And in my case a dealer five minutes away. Temptation is going to be difficult to ignore.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i wouldn't be surprised if the ST1300 gets a big overhaul to place it firmly amidst the new FJR, the new Trophy, etc. That new FJR does look quite nice indeed.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
i wouldn't be surprised if the ST1300 gets a big overhaul to place it firmly amidst the new FJR, the new Trophy, etc. That new FJR does look quite nice indeed.
Yup... the 1200 engine in the VFR and also CrossTourer sure seems to make sense.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Not sure how I feel about this move to drive-by-wire. I figure it was inevitable. But I've had the experience of rats chewing into my ST1300 wiring (where it couldn't be seen) such that the bike would unpredictably have starting problems. It's hard to anticipate what kind of behavior might result from this or some other compromise to the wiring between the throttle control and the ECU.

My reasons for going to the NT from the ST still stand vis-a-vis the FJR. The latter is 70 pounds heavier (comparing the specs on the Honda and Yamaha site) and is unlikely to get particularly good gas mileage. I have to drive at least 25 miles before I hit any roads where the speed limit is more than 60 MPH, and then only if I'm traveling north. Otherwise it's more like 50+ miles.

There are a couple of things the ST is still better at vs. the FJR - cruising range and warranty. If I were in the market for something in this class I would have to consider the FJR. I agree Honda has traditionally neglected both ST's for years at a time. The ST1100 was basically unchanged for all its model years, as has been the 1300.
A couple of footnotes about the ST1300, from my experience:

I bought my first one in November 2002. I bought an extended factory warranty for $400 through hondadirectline.com, for a total of 7 years of coverage. About two weeks short of having had the bike for three years (to wit: in Nov. 2005) I totaled it. So I went and got another one. Because I had not yet entered the coverage period of the extended warranty, it was transferred to the new bike. Had I not traded it in last year it would still be under warranty for the next month or so. As it turned out I never needed it.

When I bought the replacement ST1300 I considered both the Concours 14 and the FJR. But the relative warranty situation and range was important to me then. And of course I was already used to the ST.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Not sure how I feel about this move to drive-by-wire. I figure it was inevitable.
I have the "throttle by wire" feature on my Tri-Glide and it is not even noticeable when riding. One big advantage of the "throttle-by wire" is less cables to adjust, lube, and generally mess with...and it makes the Cruise Control a clean install as well. The rats chewing wiring are another issue...maybe a terrier or cat "option" for the garage would help...:D

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The new FJR might be the replacement for my ST1300 in a couple of years, if Honda does not GET OFF THIER COLECTIVE BACK POCKETS.

Hope that is better.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The Super Tenere has the Throttle By Wire system that is not going into the FJR - the way I understand it....

Anyway, the Super10 has a more smoother throttle than the ST1300 did. I did things to the ST1300 to make it better but I'd say it's just about as good as the Tenere now.

The one VERY COOL thing about the yamaha version is you have a Sport and Touring mode.... anyone riding fuel injected bikes these days is familiar with the abrupt on/off throttle response that shows up as a jerky or twitchy throttle... well, with the yamaha system, you change it to Tour mode and everything is just a bit smoother and lazier... I've run the mountains in Tour mode just to see if it was somehow less power but I never felt that way... in sport mode it's just a bit quicker on the throttle... Tour mode is also great for when you go off road on the Tenere and you need to be even smoother on the throttle.

So, I see that as an improvement if it has the same result on the new FJR... I've never ridden a previous version of the FJR so I don't have any specific experience with that.

Top Bottom