New FJR

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have the "throttle by wire" feature on my Tri-Glide and it is not even noticeable when riding. One big advantage of the "throttle-by wire" is less cables to adjust, lube, and generally mess with...and it makes the Cruise Control a clean install as well. The rats chewing wiring are another issue...maybe a terrier or cat "option" for the garage would help...:D
Yep. Agreed. I just have to warm up to it. After all, I've been driving a Prius for the last 5 years and one entrusts almost everything about the control of the vehicle to the computers based on input sent to the electronics from the accelerator, brake, drive mode control and steering wheel. As long as the kill switch on the bike is a real kill switch I'm good.

And cable-based systems can give you scary moments as well. I've had those hang up when a single strand wore out and snapped, producing a kind of latching behavior in the cable. In the case of throttle linkage, any of the single-cable systems are vulnerable to this. On bikes, I don't think anyone uses single-cable throttle linkage any more.

The vermin deal is real. I've had them dine on the plastic in the engine compartments of my Camry and Subaru (neither of which I have any longer). But even the direct-linkage systems can have a problem with this. My wife barely got the Subaru stopped in time one day because squirrels were in the process of building a nest and left some twigs where they fell down in the throttle linkage while she was driving, preventing it from dropping off a cruise power setting.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The vermin deal is real.
I don't doubt that for a minute... When I was looking for a classic Corvette last time I opened the glove box on one that mice / rats had nested in... I have also seen them nest in air cleaners, "When did you say was the last time you started this car was?" :rolleyes1:, and in the heater A/C systems of first generation Mustangs. I periodically let my dog "pack" out in to the garage when I'm working. I have a Schipperkee, which are bred to be a vermin hunter, and two Dachshund mixes that will hunt anything that moves...frogs, lizards, bugs, cats, each other, you name it... One of them was chasing a butterfly across the yard a few days ago leaping up in the air trying to catch it. So far so good as far as vermin in the garage...:D

skiper

can't comment on the fjr but i"ll certainly use mothballs around the bike - THANKS

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Wayne,
The Schipperkee is the penultimate "boat dog" With one of those guys on board--nobody in their right mind will mess with your boat. Give him a big hug for me.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have also seen them nest in air cleaners, "When did you say was the last time you started this car was?" :rolleyes1:
Some years ago I drove my Camry 200-ish miles to Vancouver to visit my son over Thanksgiving. While there, I decided to take the car into jiffy lube for an oil change. The opened up the air cleaner and out jumps a big ol' rat. The thing had ridden all the way down there in this car that was used regularly. So finding a rat's nest in there does not, by itself, necessarily mean the car hadn't been driven recently.

My beagles are now doing a great job keeping them away from the house and the cars.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back when I was rich (LOL) and could afford to fly, we had taken a borrowed Cherokee 180 to Branson to visit my folks and to Mt. Pleasant, TX, to visit my wife's folks. The plane sat on the ground for a week in Texas and on the day we were leaving, I took my 7-year-old nephew up so he could see his house and his town from the air. We'd been up maybe 10 minutes and I started smelling smoke. We got down pretty quick and learned that birds had built a next in the heater muff. We got it all out but smelled the smoke for the first half-hour of our flight back to Casper.

OP
OP
They're here!! Saw the new FJR today. Point one: it is a SPORT tourer for sure. I was surprised by the riding position even seat full down. No competition for the Bmw RT crowd I'll warrant. Point two: it looks good but it has an unusual tint to the gray; I would swear there is a green component in there and I saw it in full winter sun. Three: after market windshields here we come. The stock just is not very big nor does it come very high in adjustment. Four: nice touch with the LED vanity headlights. Five: better seat but still narrow. Six: like those heated grips. Seven: sales says the tour mode really smooths it out; I'll know better if I test drive it. Eight: can't imagine that monster motor wound out to the 9k redline in any gear but I bet its exciiiiiiIIIIIIIIiiiiiting.

Top Bottom