New FJR

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I just bought a new, well nearly new, 2013 FJR1300. I was sort of looking for a 2014 ES, but I was down at the Irving, TX Yamaha dealer today and he had just got in a 2013 with only 630 miles on the odometer for $3K below list. It wasn't the real pretty red one, but $3K below list for a nearly new bike! He even said he would deliver it to my house early next week.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Congrats John, they are sweet bikes and Yamaha continues to improve them..

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Congratulations! I'm not sure I would have been able to resist leaving the car behind and riding home.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Congratulations! I'm not sure I would have been able to resist leaving the car behind and riding home.
I didn't. The bike hit the floor yesterday. Guy priced it this morning. It hasn't been detailed yet. He said he would deliver it to the house next week or maybe this weekend, which worked out well because I really didn't want to ride it back on DFW highways.

The FJR is about 150 pounds heavier and twice as powerful as my old GPz750. Plus, if I had really ordered my first choice, it would have probably taken three or four weeks to come in. Yamaha underestimated the demand for the '14 ES model.

The choice was between a new red '14 with electrically adjustable suspension and 100 mph cruise control or a grey '13 with 82 mph cruise control plus $4K. My wallet won.

I can afford to be a little patient. :)

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Congratulations, John! They look great and everybody I know who's got one of the '13-'14s has been very happy.

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Hope to see it up close in Spearfish.
Well, Spearfish will be my first long trip with it. From the DFW area, it's about 1000 miles one way. I figure about 2500 miles round trip if I take the long way home.

Phil, that is one of the reasons I decided on a Gen III FJR. IBA and other LD riders like them. They are a lot like an NT on steroids: reliable, shaft drive, regular gas, 5 speed transmission (perhaps a downer), and simple enough for me to do most of the routine maintenance.

And to the rest of you, thank you for your good wishes.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
John, Congratulations! You made a very intelligent choice and got a great deal. That power will take some getting used to.

slider

Congrats! I think the '13 looks way better than the '14. I'm holding out for the black '15. :smile:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I will also add my congrats and envy. If something would happen to Traveller, the FJR would be on my (very) short list. Out of curiosity, did the dealer say why the previous owner got rid of the bike after only 600 miles? I am always curious (nosy?) about stuff like that.

Mike

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Did much the same thing a few months back. I've been delighted. Just be sure you mean it when swinging your leg over the panniers, as they are mounted high and wide compared to the NT. FWIW, as old and feeble as I am, I found no difficulty dealing with the weight difference.

Let the farkling begin anew.

Silver Ranger

I have had one for a year now and love it. The power is easy to manage with the drive mode. I have found no need for a 6th gear with the way it is set up. With over 5,000 miles I have averaged about 45 MPG. The things I like the most, drive mode, weather protection, cruse control ( even with the limit ), power adjustable windshield and the smile on my face when you twist the grip. :smile:

Have fun and ride safe.

John, I add my congrats along with all the others and it was good to hear that you plan to make it up to Spearfish - see you then (and the new bike). Wendell

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Slider, I am of mixed thoughts about the color. Red is more visible, but like I said, the barely used '13 was $4k less than a '14ES. I don't really need the ES parts, but the ES KYB parts are supposed to be a little better than the OEM suspension parts.

Mike, I asked about why the bike only had 600 miles on it. The dealer said the previous owner said that between two other bikes and other things, he just wasn't riding it enough.

By the way, the dealer, Jason has real pretty blue 2012 demo in his shop. I have no idea how many miles or what he wants for it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yamaha must be putting something in the water, this followed me home today...

S10 Med.jpg

Top Bottom