New FJR

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Nice! I've seen almost as many Super Teneres in the last week as I have anything else (including HDs!) I saw one on my way in to Denver Wednesday morning when I was taking the NT to Sun for final drive repair and then saw two yesterday between Fort Morgan and Pueblo.

skiper

Yeah - Real Nice , just saw one today parked at a bar.. such nice fit and finish / materials look Great .. this one was white -- sweet ..

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Sweet, indeed! My only question is if there is a (physical or psychic) connection between the blue bin lid and the blue bike? That's not a top-secret-extra-large topcase back there, is it??

That could be THE BIKE.
That's the new eGivi.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Were I to want a literbike, I would be hard pressed to choose between a Triumph Trophy and an FJR

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
My brief impressions of the FJR so far:

Jason (dealer) offered to deliver the bike to my house. I accepted. I finally got the bike Saturday afternoon.

This thing is taller, heavier, and wider than my GPz750. This is taking some getting used to. I am learning to really streeetch when I get on or off of it. I have about a 31" inseam and I cannot flatfoot the bike. Under about three mph, it handles like a pig. Right now, I am simply devoting much to much of my attention to stopping. I feel really insecure with the weight when I come to a stop. So far, I have had it up to just under . . . 40 mph in my immediate neighborhood. I am getting a little impatient to go somewhere, but I plan to spend about a week close to home doing stop and gos and learning all the switches to where they become instinctive.

I have the engine set to wuss (well, Yamaha calls it "Touring") mode, not sport mode. I need all the control I can get right now.

This has a great engine. It starts pulling right off idle. I had to spin the GPz up to about 3K rpm before I got useful power. I cannot judge the high speed fuel injection metering, but low speed is great.

I ordered a set of canyon cages for it. I am not planning to drop the bike, but who knows what will happen down the road?

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
The red one is a very visually appealing bike and thirty pounds lighter than my Concours C10. You don't need a sixth speed. I find myself double shifting my Connie a lot anyway although if first were lower and 6th were higher, the sixth gear would be very useful on my bike. I don't race so I don't need a close ratio tranny. I like the sound of a 26,000 mi. valve set interval. Gotta set the valves on my Connie in a month....easy but lots of wrench spinning.
I cant imagine what the power must be like....all I know is when I do a max acceleration with my C10, it only lasts a few seconds because I am soon way over the speed limit.
Not to beat a dead horse, but this FJR , 50 lbs lighter and 400 cc smaller and $3,000 cheeper would be totally irresitable....let me know if the bag latches work.....
Phil, a canyon cage is kind of a fancy roll bar.
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149059

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The Canyon Cages look pretty good. I wish they made something like their pannier protectors for the NT.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
John if you just can't get used to that bike, come on down to Richardson and I'll trade you Even-Steven to help you out. :wink:

MAC

John,
That is a great bike, I really like mine, I just got back from a trip to Fort Myers, FL and it ran great.
Check your book, the seat may be in the high setting and is very ease to change to the low setting. Good Luck with it.

Bike
Bonneville T120
My brief impressions of the FJR so far:

This thing is taller, heavier, and wider than my GPz750. This is taking some getting used to. I am learning to really streeetch when I get on or off of it. I have about a 31" inseam and I cannot flatfoot the bike. Under about three mph, it handles like a pig. Right now, I am simply devoting much to much of my attention to stopping. I feel really insecure with the weight when I come to a stop. So far, I have had it up to just under . . . 40 mph in my immediate neighborhood. I am getting a little impatient to go somewhere, but I plan to spend about a week close to home doing stop and gos and learning all the switches to where they become instinctive.

I ordered a set of canyon cages for it. I am not planning to drop the bike, but who knows what will happen down the road?
Because of my 31" inseam, the seat height difference (30.3 in with the low seat option) was one of the reasons I went with the Trophy over the FJR. Also the FJR required a little forward lean and the Trophy none. Of course the FJR cost a bit less. It was a trough call. The new fully-loaded FJR wasn't out yet.

Though the seat is a tad lower, I was in the same boat as you with respect to fear of dropping it. I was very uneasy at every stop. However with about 4200 miles on it now I've become confident at stops. I'm still cautious, watching for uneven pavement or sand on the road. I was in the White Mountains of New Hampshire over the weekend and came upon loose sand in parking lots several times. This lead to a few close calls but I've not dropped it yet (KNOCK ON WOOD). I'm sure you'll soon be confident, but remain vigilant!

Get out there and put that puppy through the paces. I remember somewhere you said you were going to visit your mother in western Maine this autumn. Are you coming up on the FJR???

OP
OP
JohnC
Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Clay, Thanks, but I think I will keep the FJR. However, when I get more comfortable with it I will come by for a visit.

Sam, I am not going to wear platform boots. I only need about a half inch more inseam to flatfoot the bike. I will learn to deal with it. It just feels a little strange. I have never had that problem before.

Sam, MAC: the rear suspension is already in the Soft position and the seat is in the Low position.

I really do not think I will have much problem with the power.

Right now, I am just putting around the neighborhood getting used to the bike. Biggest problem is that below 2 or 3 mph, it handles like a pig, a heavy pig, a heavy top-heavy pig.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Biggest problem is that below 2 or 3 mph, it handles like a pig, a heavy pig, a heavy top-heavy pig.
Sounds like you need to name it "Oinker" :pf1:....:eek1: ;) My FJ1200 is a tad unwieldy at low speeds as well...but the "Ludicrous Speed" makes up for it....:D

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
All of this piggy stuff is why I bought the NT in the first place. I needed a bike that was used for commuting 95% of the time and touring 5%.

One reason I love the Guzzi is the quick steering makes it feel like a much lighter bike in parking lots and such. Well, and it is lighter. Even with the fairing, cans and such it is right at 500lb.

If I were to mostly ride on the highways with my bike I'd be inclined to get a touring bike. But, maybe not :) My next bike will be a ???? Stelvio, Norge, Super Tenere, ?? You can bet that whatever it is it will have a shaft drive :D :D :D

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You'll get used to it John. I have a shorter inseam than you and have ridden 2 ST1300s for almost 100k miles and you just learn to be careful when slowing to a stop, something you take for granted when you have a much lighter bike. The STs are even heavier than the FJRs too... Once they get moving though, you'll appreciate that weight and planted feel along with the power and responsiveness...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Charlie, Sun Enterprises in Denver has a 300-mile '10 Stelvio for sale. I'll ask the price when I'm in there next time. It's a beautiful bike. But it looks too tall for me.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Thanks Phil, but, it will be a bit over a year before I get one.

There are quite a few available at decent prices. That's Guzzi speak. It means there are fewer than 10 used Stelvios for sale that I know of in the entire country. :) I think I've seen the ad for the one in Denver.

Top Bottom