New GIVI Top Box

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That will be another great one and not too many bugs either. LOL

You need to wait a month longer so you can be there during the infestation of the Mormon crickets. When Joanne and I did our honeymoon 12 years ago, we were going into the east unit of Dinorsaur National Monument, came around a sweeper and saw the road moving ahead of us. There was a swarm (?) of the Mormon crickets walking across the road. They covered maybe 200 yards of road and went off into the grass (well, there wasn't a lot of grass out there) as far as you could see. We crossed several more groups, riding very slowly and trying not to do anything to overwhelm the extremely limited traction offered by a hundreds of squished bugs.

This sounds strange, but those crickets were one of the great things about our honeymoon.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
It is just perfect. Fact is, Twisted Throttle sent me a video on how to latch it and I admit I had no idea how it worked until I saw the video and this may have been my problem with the second one. I can't confirm that because it is on its way back to Twisted Throttle but I gave this one a 100 mile test today and it's solid as a rock. Latches great too. : )
When I installed myV46 Givi I had a terrible time figuring out the latch mechanism. I installed it at the house of a Shadow Discussion grouper in Conway AR. Neither of us had the humility to carefully read the directions- it's a disease that is common to a certain type of male... And when you put two of them together...

Fortunately I had some private time back at the hotel to figure it out and still my wife's anxiety about an eight trip with no lock and her stuff popping out of a broken top box. The key was the key....position.

Igo

You need to wait a month longer so you can be there during the infestation of the Mormon crickets. When Joanne and I did our honeymoon 12 years ago, we were going into the east unit of Dinorsaur National Monument, came around a sweeper and saw the road moving ahead of us. There was a swarm (?) of the Mormon crickets walking across the road. They covered maybe 200 yards of road and went off into the grass (well, there wasn't a lot of grass out there) as far as you could see. We crossed several more groups, riding very slowly and trying not to do anything to overwhelm the extremely limited traction offered by a hundreds of squished bugs.

This sounds strange, but those crickets were one of the great things about our honeymoon.
I saw this same thing with grasshoppers in the early 80 outside of Kingman Arizona but I was in a cage. I turned around and went another way.

Igo

When I installed myV46 Givi I had a terrible time figuring out the latch mechanism. I installed it at the house of a Shadow Discussion grouper in Conway AR. Neither of us had the humility to carefully read the directions- it's a disease that is common to a certain type of male... And when you put two of them together...

Fortunately I had some private time back at the hotel to figure it out and still my wife's anxiety about an eight trip with no lock and her stuff popping out of a broken top box. The key was the key....position.
Oh my goodness. I sent you a PM about the latch on these some weeks ago but I'm sure I miss addressed it or it just didn't fly. I had the instructions folded up and carried them in my back pocket for 3 days. The Italian to English translation was so bad I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. Funny thing, I'm an Industrial Maintenance mechanic in Special Projects with a Mechanical Engineering department. Or coarse to make a water tight seal on a very pliable seal there would have to be some kind of Cam mechanism to fully draw the lid down. I called Twisted Throttle and told them they need to put a decal on the Top Box with an address for the video because I knew hundreds of Americans were ready to toss top boxes off the roof of their houses. In the end, it is a solid article; I just need to stop kicking it every time I get off the bike.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Oh my goodness. I sent you a PM about the latch on these some weeks ago but I'm sure I miss addressed it or it just didn't fly. I had the instructions folded up and carried them in my back pocket for 3 days. The Italian to English translation was so bad I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. Funny thing, I'm an Industrial Maintenance mechanic in Special Projects with a Mechanical Engineering department. Or coarse to make a water tight seal on a very pliable seal there would have to be some kind of Cam mechanism to fully draw the lid down. I called Twisted Throttle and told them they need to put a decal on the Top Box with an address for the video because I knew hundreds of Americans were ready to toss top boxes off the roof of their houses. In the end, it is a solid article; I just need to stop kicking it every time I get off the bike.
I just checked my notification inbox and didn't see anything on the latch. Great idea about a video, it is tricky latch.... Suspect there might even one already...if not maybe you're the man for the job.

Twisted Throttle sent two top boxes by mistake. We got so frustrated figuring out the latch that we open up the second box figuring the first one was broken. What other explaination for two "experts" having trouble...:rolleyes1:

elizilla

Is the V46 latch different from the latch on the E-series boxes?

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
Wayne, it is not just you...I had the same thoughts a while back. I hope they don't drive each other crazy!

elizilla

I'm just jealous of them that they each have a local riding bud so close by and so agreeable. I had a neighbor like that for a while but his girlfriend got a new job and they moved out of state. I miss them both.

Igo

I just checked my notification inbox and didn't see anything on the latch. Great idea about a video, it is tricky latch.... Suspect there might even one already...if not maybe you're the man for the job.

Twisted Throttle sent two top boxes by mistake. We got so frustrated figuring out the latch that we open up the second box figuring the first one was broken. What other explaination for two "experts" having trouble...:rolleyes1:
Twisted Throttle DID make a video specifically because the masses were not able to figure out the latch. The lady on the phone said half the customers couldn't figure it out and thought the latch was broken. I'm probably one of them.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
To those that have the V46.....Did you use the Givi rack or the SW-Motech alu rack and adapter? I went SW-Motech and don't like the looks of the quick fasteners on the adapter plate. Since they are the only thing holding the top box to the rack I am suspicious. I am having trouble compressing the washers and worry about the stress on the little tabs. They just seem so small to hold everything together. For the amount of money SW-Motech is charging I expected a better system.

It looks like the Givi rack is solidly mounted and uses the same holes I drilled for the alu-rack. I don't really need the the alu rack and really just want to be able to quickly remove the topbox. I think the standard Givi rack might do everything I want and be a more solid connection. Anyone seen both?

Igo

I have the Alu-Rack, Givi V46 and the SW-Motech flat luggage rack and the adapter. I like the luggage rack best but for long travel the GIVI will be more practical. As for the adapter plate for the GIVI I felt the same way but the rubber bushing spread out the load nicely and everything seems quite sturdy.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the Alu-Rack, Givi V46 and the SW-Motech flat luggage rack and the adapter. I like the luggage rack best but for long travel the GIVI will be more practical. As for the adapter plate for the GIVI I felt the same way but the rubber bushing spread out the load nicely and everything seems quite sturdy.
Thanks. I didn't have a chance to work with it tonight, but I will refrain from buying the givi rack for now.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
To those that have the V46.....Did you use the Givi rack or the SW-Motech alu rack and adapter? I went SW-Motech and don't like the looks of the quick fasteners on the adapter plate. Since they are the only thing holding the top box to the rack I am suspicious. I am having trouble compressing the washers and worry about the stress on the little tabs. They just seem so small to hold everything together. For the amount of money SW-Motech is charging I expected a better system.

It looks like the Givi rack is solidly mounted and uses the same holes I drilled for the alu-rack. I don't really need the the alu rack and really just want to be able to quickly remove the topbox. I think the standard Givi rack might do everything I want and be a more solid connection. Anyone seen both?
I haven't seen both but have the Givi rack and am very pleased with it. The only time I take the box off is when the wife and I are traveling. Very easy off/on. Very solid. I did discover bolts that needed tightening two weeks ago, but that's me not Givi. Once iread the directions and figured out the latching mechanism...very pleased.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Finally found time to get the Top box on using the SW-Motech rack and adapter. I feel like a real dunce. The fit was really tight and all my problems were because I didn't get the adapter plate pushed far enough down into the rack. Once I got it in there the quick release cam thingees did what they were supposed to. It holds the case pretty good, although I wish the rubber standoffs were just a hair thicker. The top case didn't seem to move around at speed so I am probably being too picky. On a decent ride with the girlfriend it stayed on the bike just fine. She even leaned against the top rack during the ride. Glad I didn't get that givi back rest, she seemed to be fine without it. I checked it out back at home and I feel confident the little quick release cams will hold it on adequately.

I really like how the V460 looks on the bike. I bought the gloss silver and it is a great match.

Igo

I bought the matt silver. Mine has about 17 pounds of gear in it right now and is headed for a 1300 mile California coast road trip. I only got in last Monday. I better hope it works.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Have a great trip Igor. I intend to make it the california coast next month with lots of cool stops along the way.

Top Bottom