New Goldwing first impression

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I posted on another thread (Bike Show) that my Brother in Law had his almost new Goldwing in for service whilst I was visiting him in Japan and that it was bad timing. We fly out from Narita in the morning for home and I actually just had a ride on it. He got it back a couple of days ago. Conditions were not particularly good for a test ride: first time carrying a pillion in 50 years, extremely windy, stayed in ECON mode and Tokyo traffic.
I have ridden his previous model Goldy but it was about 3 years ago and conditions were the opposite: outside of Tokyo, riding solo and calm weather so a comparison is not valid.
My impressions are: very smooth except that in ECON mode it upshifts very early and there is some resonance. The exhaust note is very nice, especially on overrun. The electric screen is very nice to have as I could adjust it easily when the wind changed between the buildings and open spaces. Balance is very good and was easy despite the pillion weight and the wind. I had no problems stationery or when moving. The DCT works extremely well and is very smooth from a standing start. I did find myself looking for the gearlever to downshift as I like to use engine braking. I did use the "downshift" paddle a few times. It is difficult to judge the power as we never went over 75kph and the engine was almost always under 2000 rpm but there is plenty of torque from 1500 rpm. Luggage space is OK but I would prefer a larger Top Box. We started out with me as the pillion so that I could try out the back seat. It was comfortable but I would prefer the armrests to be a little longer. He had the seat heater on and within a few minutes my backside was too hot.
After about 10 minutes we changed over and I felt pretty comfortable within just a few minutes. Low speed steering was easy and precise with the new front end. Tokyo roads are generally very smooth so I did not get a chance to really test out the suspension. It was set to "2 people" and I found it firm but comfortable, just as I like it. The front brake us very goid with a firm lever with a cery shirt travel. The rear brake pedal felt very much like my NT, a little soft but responsive if you need it to be. We crossed a very high bridge and despite the heavy bike and two full sized men it did move around a bit. There were a couple of sphincter tightening moments on the bridge as we touched the edge of our lane during a very strong gust. I believe that my NT would have really struggled to stay upright in that wind.
Question: would I buy one?
Answer: too early to say. I would need to try it in its intended role as a tourer outside the city. It is really outside my riding budget but if it was brilliant on the highway and I really wanted it, the treasurer said that I could have one. ☺
Perhaps I should try to arrange a proper test ride back home.

Macka1403814039

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Never, ever, pass on "treasurer" approval....;) What there be any major difference in the Wing between Japan and Oz?

OP
OP
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Goo
Never, ever, pass on "treasurer" approval....;) What there be any major difference in the Wing between Japan and Oz?
Good question. Other than the obvious things like the Navigation (GPS or NAVI as it is known in Japan) I suspect not. Another thing that I confirmed from YouTube reviews is that the engine is a lot closer to the front wheel as the wheel moves up and down, not up and back. They have moved the engine forward for better balance. I would really like more time on it to find out if we suit each other.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Honda in the states also refers to its onboard GPS as "Navi," at least in their cars.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Almost 4 years ago I got to ride the DCT Prototype in the Mojave desert on a closed track. I am sure the bike was "Rough" in comparison to the bike you got to ride. I liked the DCT and could see me getting one at some point, just not now.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
My Tracer 900 GT has a quick shifter... which only works for up shifts... but it kinda gives you a taste for how a DCT would perform on manual.. and I really like it.. the newest Kawasaki 1000? I think has both up and down quick shifters... and some other bikes do as well.. I know it's not exactly apples to apples maybe it's truly apples to oranges but both fruit related... anyway, at some point I can see myself going back to a wing and the DCT version would surely be on that list.

I got to take a 2019 Goldwing Tour manual transmission out for a few hours and it was an eye opening experience. Well balanced and easy to ride, never knew an 800 lb bike could be so nimble and dare I say fun to ride. Having reverse and most of its weight down low made parking anywhere a non event. All the features were overwhelming initially but after some time with the bike pairing my phone, blasting music like an idiot, and playing with the power windscreen and cruise control felt natural. I thought I was high tech by adding Bluetooth speakers a few years ago to my helmets but I’ve been living in a cave apparently. By far the GW is the most modern feature laden machine I have ever ridden.

The exhaust note is surprisingly loud for a touring bike and it acceleration is impressive, brakes are STRONG, wind protection excellent and comfort is great. I took the bike home to show it to my wife who liked it but she prefers the look and size of the NT. My wife doesn’t ride but supports my life long affair with bikes. Have to agree with her, too much bike for the riding I do but an impressive machine for those who tour.

Thanked my dealer for the test ride and moved on. Made me appreciate how good the NT is even if it is an old school low tech machine.

Here’s a pic of it sitting in my garage.

OP
OP
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I got to take a 2019 Goldwing Tour manual transmission out for a few hours and it was an eye opening experience. Well balanced and easy to ride, never knew an 800 lb bike could be so nimble and dare I say fun to ride. Having reverse and most of its weight down low made parking anywhere a non event. All the features were overwhelming initially but after some time with the bike pairing my phone, blasting music like an idiot, and playing with the power windscreen and cruise control felt natural. I thought I was high tech by adding Bluetooth speakers a few years ago to my helmets but I’ve been living in a cave apparently. By far the GW is the most modern feature laden machine I have ever ridden.

The exhaust note is surprisingly loud for a touring bike and it acceleration is impressive, brakes are STRONG, wind protection excellent and comfort is great. I took the bike home to show it to my wife who liked it but she prefers the look and size of the NT. My wife doesn’t ride but supports my life long affair with bikes. Have to agree with her, too much bike for the riding I do but an impressive machine for those who tour.

Thanked my dealer for the test ride and moved on. Made me appreciate how good the NT is even if it is an old school low tech machine.

Here’s a pic of it sitting in my garage.

If I am lucky, I may be back in Japan again in November this year (twice in one year?) and I may get a longer ride on my Brother-in-Law's Goldie.
I am sure that it has a lot more to offer me as my first ride was too short and under poor conditions.
Macka

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I don't know you managed to get a Test Ride for that amount of time and distance. My only local dealer will not allow Test Rides. The other dealer would only allow me two times around the block. I later ended up buying that same bike about a month later.

I would prefer the DCT model if I were to purchase one. I did get to ride the prototype DCT model at Honda's Mojave desert test track about 4 years ago. It was a bit rough and I am sure that it more refined now. I enjoyed the DCT on a bike of that type.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Perhaps some dealers are lightening up on not allowing tests rides with the market in the tank as it is.

I don't know you managed to get a Test Ride for that amount of time and distance. My only local dealer will not allow Test Rides. The other dealer would only allow me two times around the block. I later ended up buying that same bike about a month later.

I would prefer the DCT model if I were to purchase one. I did get to ride the prototype DCT model at Honda's Mojave desert test track about 4 years ago. It was a bit rough and I am sure that it more refined now. I enjoyed the DCT on a bike of that type.

Honda Powerhouse dealer here in the South Bay has a really nice owner that doesn’t put any pressure on his customers. I have been to the dealer for filters, oil, a battery and things like crush washers. I’ve been there half a dozen times buying parts or just hanging out checking out the bikes with none of the weirdness experienced at multi line dealers, just friendly laid back conversation.

I decided to give his service Dept a try and took my vfr in for throttle body synch, brake fluid and coolant change. I jokingly said to the owner “let me borrow a wing to get home”. The owner said hold on and pulled out a 2019 GW, showed me the basics, and I was off. He said put some gas in it if you want and take it for a good long ride. The thing had maybe 50 miles on it and had the strongest new bike smell known to man it was so fresh.

Had a great time on it and was completely sold on the bike but definitely not in the market for an expensive touring bike. Even with that knowledge the owner had no issues with me riding the bike. It took a few days to get that thing off my mind, really an impressive machine.

Oh yeah, the service dept did an excellent job on my vfr, no more snatchy throttle off idle and the brakes have a nice firm pedal and lever, very well done.

Ultimately in my case the owner knew me well enough to let me ride the wing with no real expectation of selling me one that day. I will admit after the long ride I had it was tempting to see what kinda deal I could make but I held off......maybe for my 60th birthday........

Top Bottom