New guy

OP
OP
Oldbluesguy
Welcome to the NT world. Hope you bond with your new ride soon. The final drive is a tad vocal on overrun. It ticks a bit and the fairing seems to send it up to you as you ride. The oil aging makes a noticeable change in the gearchange. I change the fluid in the diff each time I change the oil. Still noisy. Normal too. Fresh oil and earplugs and the bike feels much better.

Enjoy your new ride. and welcome.

QQUOTE="harryhendo, post: 179998, member: 3375"]
First, welcome to the forum!

Did you check the oil? With only 2500 miles, it may have the original oil that came from the factory 12 years later. I'd do a fresh oil and filter change and see if it persists. That engine is noisier than the parallel twin on my other Honda, but is bulletproof reliable, so I doubt if at 2500 miles it is a valve problem.
Changed the oil ( Rotella T6) and she quieted right down. Going to take her out for an extended run today. Thanks for the welcome

Dave

OP
OP
Oldbluesguy
Welcome to the world of the NT and the forums Oldbluesguy. I would definitely change oil just to make sure it's good and it couldn't hurt to have the valves checked. The only time I noticed a (obviously) loud metallic ticking was the one time a valve got a bit loose and it was only just off idle. However, I noticed you said when you get on the throttle. Wen you do that, make sure your RPM's are up no less than 3500 to 4000 while rolling, otherwise you will get spark knock with some fuels.

Hope you enjoy your NT as much as I have mine. I also have a 2010 although I'm about to roll over 76K on it and still going strong.
[/QUOT

Thanks WV gives me some things to shoot for.

Old Blue

JustPassinThru: I've slept in Walmart parking lots all over in a converted van and never have had a problem - I keep a low profile and try to blend in -

OldBluesGuy: Welcome to the forum and a great group of guys and gals. I live in DeLand and have bicycled up to Deleon Springs. Just took my visiting family up to the Old Spanish Mill Pancake house not too long ago. I loved my NT but after 7 years of not riding I'm now the owner of a 2015 CB500X. I have not been happy with my skill level so am taking the MSF course today and tomorrow down in Sanford. Today was fun and by tomorrow I should be a hot-shot again :)
Wendell

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I loved my NT but after 7 years of not riding I'm now the owner of a 2015 CB500X. I have not been happy with my skill level so am taking the MSF course today and tomorrow down in Sanford. Today was fun and by tomorrow I should be a hot-shot again :)
Wendell
Glad to hear you're riding again, Wendell! Glad to hear you're taking the MSF course, too. Seven years is a long time not to have ridden! Enjoy!

Glad to hear you're riding again, Wendell! Glad to hear you're taking the MSF course, too. Seven years is a long time not to have ridden! Enjoy!
Thanks Phil - Heading in a straight direction and twisting the throttle open takes no skill - going slow around cones - now that’s a different story. The class was very helpful and I took it exactly 40 years after my first (and only) MSF course
. Hey, you probably need to take it every 40 years rather you need it or not! Yesterday, A college girl who had never ridden dropped the bike every time she stopped but she eventually got the hang of it and aced the test today so that was fun to see her progress. There is an amazing amount of online ideas for practice sessions in parking lots and I’m going to continue to work on my skill level -

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Utah is an incredible place to ride. I've done a lot of it on a bicycle and way more on my motorcycle. When you get ready to go back, holler and I'll make some suggestions if you're interested.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Welcome from KC MO and congrats on the bike! I’ve had mine for two years now, switched from a Harley and still love it.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
JustPassinThru: I've slept in Walmart parking lots all over in a converted van and never have had a problem - I keep a low profile and try to blend in -

OldBluesGuy: Welcome to the forum and a great group of guys and gals. I live in DeLand and have bicycled up to Deleon Springs. Just took my visiting family up to the Old Spanish Mill Pancake house not too long ago. I loved my NT but after 7 years of not riding I'm now the owner of a 2015 CB500X. I have not been happy with my skill level so am taking the MSF course today and tomorrow down in Sanford. Today was fun and by tomorrow I should be a hot-shot again :)
Wendell

I am approaching nearly 30 years after taking the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course. I took mine out at Edwards Air Force Base. I got the only Yamaha TW200 that they had. My best friend took the course a month or so before me. He recommended me to get the TW200. He did the course on a Yamaha Route 66 250.

MSF_SafetyTrainingCert.jpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When Jim Rau and I left Spearfish on the start of our ride to Alaska (and the start of my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride") we spent our first night in Lovell, WY. As I was checking in, an old guy (remember, Jim and I were young back then...I was only 70) who was touring on a TW-200. He said, IIRC, that he had come from either the Panama Canal or somewhere in South America (maybe Jim can remember which). He had made a fairing out of the windscreen from a bigger bike and mounted some plastic luggage that he'd bought at Harbor Freight. He was broken down in Lovell and the nearest Yamaha dealer was a long way off somewhere in Montana. His "adventures" were somewhat interesting, but he was a royal pain. He tried to follow us into our motel room until one of us asked him to leave. We got ready to walk for supper and lurked where he could see us and followed us. He talked constantly, and if you know me, you know it's not easy to dominate a conversation when I'm involved. We walked back to the motel and he tried to follow us into our room again. We threw him out and were lucky enough to get away the next morning before he saw us.

As far as the TW-200 being a touring machine, it looked interesting, but marginal. IIRC, he said he could cruise at 55-60mph.

OP
OP
Oldbluesguy

Wendell
You know my wife is the manager at the Old Spanish Sugar Mill for the last 39 years.
We will definitely have to meet up and ride together when you are ready. Hope the MSF course went well.

Dave

Talk about a small world - we've probably gone to the Old Spanish Mill Restaurant off and on for 39 years!!!! All we do now when we go there now is reminisce about family meetups there of long ago..... and yes lets do a ride together in the future -
Wendell

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I get the reason for the idea of checking the oil on the sidestand but it seems there are too many variables involved to be an accurate enough measurement.
The ground has to be nice and level, the handlebars in same position every time, and does the bike set the same on the sidestand every time, for instance is the suspension topped out?
If you are consistant enough it might be doable but I would want to check it with bike straight up as designed. Maybe just balance it on the tires and not use the centerstand.

My Versys does not have a centerstand and it uses an oil sight glass. I personally like the dipstick better than a sight glass. The sight glass is of course pretty low so I hold the bike upright with the handlebar and bend way over to see the oil level.

Brad

Top Bottom