New Heli bars. Is it worth it?

Tuesday I took my bike in for new tires--always a joy to have new tires. Again, I bought the PR4s--$400 for front and rear and $112 for installation. In Port Townsend, WA we have a small independent shop that I'd like to keep in business. I took a trip to San Francisco at the end of April and when I got back my right shoulder was killing me from going down the Pacific Coast Hiway in a spirited manner, trying to keep up with my riding buddy. I'm guessing there are at least 200 tight turns in the 200 miles on PC hiway. I think the forward lean and putting weight on the handle bars, particularly when turning hard, led to the bursitis. Chris (Daboo) had some great reasons for 'upgrading' to his BMW800GS and I thought long and hard about changing out my NT for something similar to his. I even went down to the Seattle BMW dealers and talked awhile about this possibility. I'll be 70 in six months and wondered whether or not I really needed to change bikes. If I was 60, I'm sure I would have. I look at this forum and see older riders (think Phil) who are riding the heck out of their bikes and thought that perhaps I could change the ergonomics of the NT I'd be happier. So, in come the heli-bars I purchased through Revzilla ($320) and when changing out tires, asked the shop to install the heli-bars. It took the tech six hours to install this. $500 in labor for this. After taxes, I was close to $900 for this change. Is it worth it? I don't know yet. I've had it two days and I do notice there is no load on my wrists I've not taken any longer rides with it yet. At this point, while I'm still working, it made sense to keep the bike and try and make it work better for me. We'll see.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
EX-WINGER (Eldon) installed the Heli-Bars on his bike, IIRC, and loved them. I was happy with the MC Larry risers and the electronic cruise control. My shoulder used to hurt more on long stretches of freeway than it has while riding twisters. Keep us posted on what you think as put more miles on with them.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Anything you can do to allow you to continue riding the NT (it's paid for!) is a good thing! :)

Bike
Silver NT700V
I also opted for the MC Larry risers, call Bar Backs if I recall. They moved the bar up 1" and back 1". I had to install a longer clutch cable as the stock one had a bind that caused some premature wear. The Transalp cable is a straight bolt on and is 2" longer than stock.

My issue was lower back strain due to the slight forward lean. I found this early and the risers fixed it right up.

At nearly 63 I have now gone to a Goldwing which seems to fit me well at 5' 6", 28" inseam.

I say do whatever helps you to keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I installed a set of the anti-vibe Rox Risers:
http://roxspeedfx.com/collections/street-cruiser/products/2-pivoting-anti-vibe-bar-risers-for-7-8-handlebar?variant=1031251681
I installed them myself in 30 minutes, and I'm no mechanic. I used the stock clutch cable, for a year, before I decided it was running too tight and was wearing out, and I installed the clutch cable for the Transalp in about 1/2 hour with the help of my Son's small hands for feeding the
cable through.
The rox risers were well worth it for my back, and I think it helped the buzz in the handlebars. I was one of those who complained of the buzz that was uncomfortable. I finally had the valves adjusted last Winter at 10,000 miles, by my shop, and that seemed to really help the buzziness, as I no longer find it uncomfortable. While the tech had the plastic off, I had them install the heated grips, and they gave me a very good deal on the parts and labor, I thought.
The valve adjustment, Honda heated grips and harness, the recall spark plug caps, and all labor was right at $700.00 total since they could do it all at once. And this is the only NT700 they sold, so it was all new for the tech. I think they treated me very well, as they always do. (Travco Motorsports in small town of Olney, IL)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the handlebar clamp with power, but have my GPS wired into a fused switch in my Fuzeblock. I've gotten a double USB port powerlet outlet to use in charging my cell phone when I'm riding. One of the problems with camping is that sometimes there's no place to charge a cell phone. I'll also use it to keep my Kindle charged.

OP
OP
banjoboy
I got the heli-bars with the power outlet and since they had everything apart, they wired it to the battery but didn't connect it yet. Apparently I'm inheriting my wife's iPhone 5 as I've never had one of these new phones. I guess I'll have a reason to have it 'live' now. I know literally nothing about how to use the power ball. Do you have to buy an adapter to connect the phone to the power?

Terry

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I had the helibars installed last fall just before my trip to Mississippi...between tires, brakes, and helibar install I think I was in at about $1100.00 . Worth it? I'd say yes....but like everything else, the value derived from any aftermarket product depends on the rider...the combination of Helibars and the Airhawk seat cushion made it so I could ride all day, sleep, then ride all day again...I've not ridden anyplace that required a third day on the road yet...so I don't know when I would have to take a day off...

I need to order back up brake and throttle cables, do you know how much longer the new cables are over stock?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
IF I were to buy another NT today I would do two things immediately after I completed the transaction!! I would call Russell Day long and have Kim set meup with RIDE IN APPT asap , AND THEM GO TO MY dEALER AND HAVE THEM OREER THE hELI KIT WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT MY BIKE EOULF BR SCHEDUALED FOR A INSTAL APPT IMEDIATLY UPON RECIET OF THEM!!! , nEXT WOU7LD BE A SET OF dENALOIE d-2 DEIVING LIGHTSnd Ntious stebil air horn to get installed at the same tume as the heli risor

This will make your ride compatilble to that of a stock GL1800 Wing wih HORN TO Mtch!!

Eldon

Eldon

OP
OP
banjoboy
Swingshift, I don't know the cost of the longer cables as it came as a package. Interesting also, with new tires, installation, etc., my bill was $1118. Pretty close to yours. I'd contact Heli-bars and I'd guess you can simply get the cables from them.

Terry

OP
OP
banjoboy
Chris, thanks for the info. Once I learn how to use the coming iPhone, I'll call Powerlet. Eldon, thanks for the confirmation. A few days into this, I'm liking it better. BTW, how are you doing?

Terry

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Swingshift, I don't know the cost of the longer cables as it came as a package. Interesting also, with new tires, installation, etc., my bill was $1118. Pretty close to yours. I'd contact Heli-bars and I'd guess you can simply get the cables from them.

Terry
I think Heli-bars has the cables made by another vendor. They are nice people and I am sure that they could give you that info. I don't think they are manufacturing the part for the NT anymore but there are kits still out there.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I don't know the cost of the longer cables as it came as a (Heli-bar) package...]

The Heli-bar NT-kit was actually quite a bargain at roughly $325. I looked into it but the handlebar rise (5-1/4"?) was much more than I wanted.

I bought Rox Risers/w rubber dampers (2-3/8" rise), a longer brake hose, and 3 longer cables, and it came out to nearly the same price. There was no labor charge because I do all my own work. :)

Last edited:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Looked at cable packages (3) from Helibars Kit install. All marked Barnett Tool & Engineering. Possibly these package labels may help:

HELI MODIFIED INC
2010 HONDA NT700
150-0105
Clutch Cable

HELI MODIFIED
150-0104
2010 HND NT700
Thr Push Cable

HELI MODIFIED
150-0107
2010 HND NT700
Thr Pull Cable

Also Clutch cables from top to bottom:
Original OEM (aound 43.25")
Honda Trans Alp (aound 45.25")
Barnett cable (around 48") from Helibars kit

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Motion Pro, the tool company, also makes custom length cables and the price is around $40 each (in black). I've been happy with their stuff and it's so close to the Honda stuff in appearance that no one ever notices.

They have a extensive inventory of standard OEM cables so when you call and say, "I want a x-longer clutch cable for an NT700V," there is no need to send your old cable as a guide. I believe Flanders also makes custom cables but I've never used them.

Just ordered the Heli pilot model for the NT, arrived yesterday. I'm ordering the longer cables from Barnett where Heli originally had them made. Heli had Galfer make the longer brake line but I'm having trouble finding out what the correct length should be. Any thoughts here? Thanks, Jack

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Heli had Galfer make the longer brake line but I'm having trouble finding out what the correct length should be...]

The longer brake line is just an extension added to the standard hose and it adds approx 6" to the length.

It comes in a Galfer bag and labeled as P/N 150-0122

Top Bottom