New member intro

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Hi, all. I'm Randall, a long-time CX500 owner. I had the chance to ride a Deauville last summer, and I was very impressed.
Now, I've got my eye on one. Are there any model-specific deal breakers I should be on the lookout for? I've got decent mechanical skills, but mostly with the CX500 and Silverwings.

Thanks.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hi, Randall! Welcome to one of the best forums anywhere. We got started back in the early teens and are still (sorta') flourishing because of our connection made through one of the best motorcycles anywhere.

I started riding in '97 and bought my first bike in '98. It was an '83 GL650i, the trusty Silverwing. After riding it for a year and 19K miles, I bought my 1st '99 Kawasaki Concours. I rode two of those 165K miles before buying my 1st '10 NT700V. I rode it 139K miles before trading it for one that was 16 serial numbers older but only had 22K miles on it.

AFAIK, the only differences in the '10s and the '11s (the only two model years imported to the US) are color and the existence of non-ABS '10 models.

The only major trouble I had with my 1st one was two total rebuilds of the final drive, both caused by the failure of two Honda techs to lube the splines when replacing rear tires. I also had a fuel pump failure at about 120K miles.

Good luck on getting a good one. If you do a member search for Minnesota, you can see all the members we've had in the state. Quite a few of them are no longer active, but some are. You might connect with one of them to take a look at the bike you've got in mind.

OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
My second rider is a GL650I. I'll probably sell that if I get a Deauville, since they fill the same niche.
I do my own tires and there's Honda Moly60 Paste in the cabinet. No concerns about spline maintenance.
The NT I'm looking at is near Milwaukee, so it would be a travel-and-ride purchase. (It might not even be there when I can do it in the spring.)
In anticipation, I'm trying to become familiar with the model so I'll know to buy a return bus ticket.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Welcome. Lots of good info on this site.
The pannier latches are a poor design that many have had issues with. Some can be repaired or beefed up, sometimes external latches are a good answer.
Do a little searching here to get up on it.

Arknt

OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
That's what I'm seeing. I'm hoping there's an internal fix, rather than adding external latches.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Hello Randall. Welcome to the forum. I also haD a CX500D and then a GL500 Interstate back in the day. I absolutely love my NT and have enjoyed 86K wonderful miles on it. There seem to be several NT's available online. You should be able to find one come spring.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Welcome to the NT. I marked the extra cost of ABS paid a couple of times and am glad I waited to get it,

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I also had a CX 500, great bike. I have a 2010 NT700 the only serious issue is the saddlebag latches they are almost guaranteed to fail and the only real fix is the addition of external latches.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Do yourself a favour and get one of the models with ABS breaks. One day you will appreciate this advice more than you know.

Seagrass
I've got to agree with Seagrass. My ABS saved my lunch twice on my 1st NT. Once was on a wet brick street when a driver ran a red light. With the ABS, I got slowed down enough to miss her. The second time was in rain and fog on the northern coast of Newfoundland. I was riding through Eddie's Cove at about 25mph and a woman was ready to pull out of the little grocery store there. She looked right at me and pulled out. I didn't ease on my brakes -- I grabbed them! I missed her rear fender by maybe a foot. She went on down the road at 30 and I just followed her. She pulled into the next little store and I followed her in. When she got out I asked if I could talk to her. She came back to me and when I asked her realized how close to her I came, she said she hadn't seen me. She was very apologetic and told me her husband rode a motorcycle.

ABS has been worth it to me even if I haven't used it in my last 72,000 miles. :cool:

OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
At 85k miles, my NT still has the original latching system. I believe WVRider's NT with just a hair more miles also has the original latches. :)
I came across a thread detailing how to clean and lubricate the latch mechanism. I suspect the real shortcoming in the design is that it collects dust in hard to reach places.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
At 85k miles, my NT still has the original latching system. I believe WVRider's NT with just a hair more miles also has the original latches. :)
Once you learn how to use the OEM latches properly, they dont give much trouble. Put slight pressure on the pannier to the inside with your knee to unload the system. Flip the lever and ease out the lid. Dont slam the pannier shut. Leave yourself an out. Where would have have to drlll to manually unlock the latch from the inside with a 3/4 hole saw? There is nothing wrong with external latches.....This forum has all the tricks you need to know about makeing an NT live. Just remember, you are not riding a new bike anymore. Unless there is paperwork, you will have to do all the fluid changes, valves, etc yourself and make sure the rubber isnt 6 years old. I like ABS, but if I found a good 2010...one of the fast red ones, that was been maintained, I would still buy it....many of us are of means so we have moved on to newer bikes...but that doesnt mean we dont respect what the NT was and is. And since you are from MN, you have no excuse to not make our ralley.....do you drink?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I came across a thread detailing how to clean and lubricate the latch mechanism. I suspect the real shortcoming in the design is that it collects dust in hard to reach places.
I like your optomism!!!! But as an aircraft mechanic, I can tell you its fragile and of poor design....even honda can make mistakes. Some people have even installed an inocuous piece of wire sticking out the front of the pannier fixed houseing that can trip the Port latch if need be.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
BTW, there are very few inherit flaws in the engine....the crank position sensor can go but if you know how to fool it, it wont leave you stranded....unless the bike was left out in the MN/WI road salt, then all you have to worry about is make sure all the maintenance is done and done properly. Dont let your splines go dry.....as you know. Did the bike live all its life in WI? How many owners? Any farkles? How old are the tires (the date is on them). A great conditon 10K bike with free shipping is $5500 negotable.
They can go up to $7000
You can find them for $4000

Personally, a 2014 interceptor with less than 4K on it for $8400 is a much better deal

BTW, I would absolutely get the delux version...I have a 2015 delux with bags that they will get from my cold dead hands

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Some pannier latches do hold up but it is a fragile design. Mine never failed in 45,000 miles.

Edit: The latches on my big lids never failed. I think the posts on my original lids were cracked from the showroom. I had forgotten that on my original post. I only had the original lids on for a very short time.

I would at least reinforce the posts inside the lid that the latch screws in to with high strength epoxy or JB Weld. Easy preventive maint.

Arknt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randall-in-Mpls

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
The Deauville is 30 years newer than what I'm accustomed to. (Of all my projects, the '83 Silverwing is the newest bike I have.) So, I'm ready to do my own work.
Details on the rally? I don't drink much. (Never if I'm riding. I'm inept enough already.) But, I do like riding and socializing with gearheads.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The latch mechanism isn't as oddball as people would think. If you've ever had the inner door panel off a Honda automobile and probably other brands you'll find pull cables running from door handles to the locking mechanism. The NT's achilles heal is these mechanisms are mounted to plastic. Reinforcing with epoxy before breakage occurs can do wonders.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hey Randall,
I have two NTs (one for sale, listing on this forum), and they are great bikes. I've ridden each of them cross country and they perform flawlessly. All have the original pannier latches... I never had any trouble with them. The engine sings sweetly, it has plenty of power, and the bike takes the curves telepathically. Very comfortable everyday for month long rides. It's a sleeper bike... as the Haynes manual says "it does everything competently, the type of bike everyone wants, but everyone inevitably buys an overpowered, uncomfortable alternative". Hence their rarity in the US.

Top Bottom