New Member - Just bought an NT700V

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

This is one thread. There may be more. The Hyperpro lowering link that DirtFlier mentions is the one I had on Dudley and I'm pretty sure that it's the same one that's on Horse. Shortening the sidestand was my biggest issue. The Honda dealer who installed the link for me refused to shorten the sidestand. The bike was standing almost straight up with the stock sidestand length and when I'd get on or off the bike, my weight would compress the shock and the sidestand would lever the bike to the right, sometimes before I could get my right foot down. A friend shortened it, but not enough, and I continued to have trouble with it. In a two week trip to West Virginia, I dropped the bike in my driveway as I was leaving, again at a motel during the week between the WV Rally and a Stayin'Safe rider safety course that started in Morgantown, a 3rd time at a gas station just minutes before starting the course, and a 4th time during the last briefing period while taking the course. I was ready to quit riding forever! But I made it from Morgantown, WV, back through Columbus at rush hour, and the rest of the way home without dropping it again. My friend shortened it some more a few weeks after I got home and I didn't drop Dudley again and I haven't dropped Horse yet. (Knock on wood!). In addition to installing the lowering link, you slide the fork tubes up in the triple clamp by about 1/2-1". I have noticed no difference in handling.

Here's another thread that specifically talks about the installation of the Hyperpro link on Horse: http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/threads/yet-another-lowering-thread-via-a-shorter-rear-shock-eye.6819/page-2

hondafan67

I've been lurking and asking questions about the NT. I'm physically small (5'-8" 135#) and recently sold my 1999 Kawasaki Concours because it was just to heavy and too tall for me to deal with in the mountain parking lots and such any more. Loved it, but I needed a tad smaller and lighter bike that still was water-cooled and shaft drive.

Just bought a really nice one today. Have to have it shipped to me since it's too far away. It's a red 2010 with complete maintenance records and the following accessories: OEM Air Deflector Set, 2" Handle Bar Riser, OEM Tank Pad, Corbin Seat, OEM Tail Trunk, spare OEM Seat, Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Motorcycle Cover, RAM Mounts Tough Claw X-Grip Mount.

I'm sure I'll be posting up lots of questions after it gets here. Been doing a lot of searching on the forum already for add-ons and such. Gonna need a USB power port for sure to power my cell phone. Here's some pics:

2010 Honda NT700V Orange Park FL-1small.jpg

2010 Honda NT700V Orange Park FL-2small.jpg

2010 Honda NT700V Orange Park FL-3small.jpg

2010 Honda NT700V Orange Park FL-6small.jpg

Looking forward to some mountain rides soon!
that is sweet! what kind of seat is that do you know?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
that is sweet! what kind of seat is that do you know?
The seat on the bike for sale is a Corbin. Not my favorite, but to each his own. My "own" is the Russell Sport Seat shown in my post above.

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
My recently-purchased 2010 NT came with a Corbin seat identical to Wingman's. Unfortunately, the OEM seat was sold off long ago by the PO so I have no way of comparing the two. As someone has mentioned, the Rider sits "lower" in the seat with the Corbin (more "dished-out" than OEM, from what I gather from pics).......which may be a PLUS for some riders shorter than 5'-10" or so. I may be adding an AirHawk Pad or Sheepskin cover to boost me up a tad.........my ball/socket pelvic muscles tend to cramp-up when the peg-to-seat relationship is small (short??). Happens on my ZRX1100 too, no so much on my Vstrom650 (peg-lowering kit along with GL1800 footpegs, which are lower than OEM pegs). Signs of old age (67) and somewhat out-of-shape physically (even tho I do run a mile 3-4 times a week)........

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
So, do GL1800 foot pegs fit on an NT700V?
I can probably pull one off the vstrom and see if it will. I am fairly sure it will.......just by observations. The GW peg was 1/4"-1/2" lower than my vstrom peg. They pop up on Ebay from time to time, but not always at cheap prices. There are chinese knock-off GL1800 pegs for $45 shipped on Ebay.........I would probably get those vs paying $50-$60 for a used set.

P4060027.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
WingMan71
Here's a Luddite tip: Leave the fuse block alone.

Get a battery-charger lead. Wire it to the battery. Then get a Battery-Tender brand converter to USB - plugs right into the battery charger pigtail - and run your charge cord to where you have your phone mounted. If you don't have it mounted, where it's stored. Although, I can say by experience - if you put an iPhone in the forward bins...they get hot and your iPhone will shut down from the heat and not take a charge.
Yup, I use Deltran Battery Tenders on all my bikes. Keep them on all the time when the bike is parked. Makes batteries last much longer.

I didn't know they made a pigtail for it that has a USB connector on the other end. Thanks!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Splain to me why you need a USB connection. I've got a pigtail with an SAE connector that I use for my battery tender and my air compressor. What's the advantage of a USB?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Splain to me why you need a USB connection. I've got a pigtail with an SAE connector that I use for my battery tender and my air compressor. What's the advantage of a USB?
To charging one's smartphone while riding.

All my bikes have a USB port for this purpose.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK. I've got a plug mounted on top of the triple clamp that has 2 USB ports. I've never used it. Of course I don't use my phone while riding. Not using my phone is one big reason I ride. :cool:

Top Bottom