New Michelin Pilot Road 3's

dbandach

10,000 miles pretty much wore out my factory Bridgestone's. I had an incredible flat spot on my rear tire and barely any tread on the front. I also developed a bad shake in the front end if I took my hands off the bars. With the new sneakers,(lol) I had a new confidence in cornering and my front end shake has completelyimage.jpg disappeared. Still not quite over the sticker shock but I haven't bought a cycle tire since the late '80's...things have gone up,(lol.)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

OP
OP

dbandach

Just took it for a "GOOD" ride in some twisties. I scared the $@*# outta myself but it stuck to the road...WAAAY better than the Bridgestone's...I think I'm gonna like them ��

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This week I remembered how good they are in rain and learned how good they are in snow. :)

Just put the PR3's on this week, haven't tested them yet. Only got 7200 miles on the original Bridgestone's and they were on the wear bars and I don't ride aggressive. Heading to west Ky, Tn. and Mo. Thursday and was not sure the Bridgestones"s would make the loop. Not worth the chance. The rear was a lot of fun to change and I did it by the book, muffler off etc. The only issue was the muffler shield screw that is under the rear foot peg, difficult to remove because there is not enough room to get the hex drive onto the screw. I used the dremel tool to remove just enough metal to get the screw out. With the muffler off, I ground the area out so no problem in the future.

Just returned from my 4 day ride to ST-Owners Ferry STOC in West Tn. The PR3's were just amazing, the NT was a different bike. We had plenty of rain and I believe the tires were better in the rain than the old ones were on dry road. I am not the most aggressive rider but I could tell the difference. I did 1400 miles so it was a good test. Now, If they will just give me 14 or 15,000 miles, I will be happy.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
John, I can't believe you got 10K out of the OEM tires. My rear was gone at 6K. If you got that much out of the BT-020, you may get 15K out of the PR3.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Oh, yeah! "dbandach" had said, "10,000 miles pretty much wore out my factory Bridgestone's."

My mind is going fast! Good thing I'm retiring in 12 days!

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I ordered a set of PR3's last Thursday, got a call this afternoon that they are in, I will pick them up Thursday.

Total bill for a set of PR3's came to $133, used my gift certificate for $400 that I won in a poker run.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I just put Michelin PR3 on, with a 3.5K trip planned the OEM tires had the rear tire with a flat center. I only have about 4.5K but the rear being so squared off I was not going to ride down to Barber with them. I got the bike with 2.1K so I do not know about the first miles but I know the since the pressure was correct. I not had tires have such a squared off back tire before. I have Metz and Avon on my Airhead, and road the same areas, and never got such quick wear on tires.
I think I avoid Bridgestone in the future.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
avoid OEM BT020, I ran BT023, got better mileage. Alot better was the PR3 that I just took off front @ 22,119 miles woohoo!!!!!!! I'm at work, but I can post all tires with miles I put on them at home.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I found it strange that on my OEM BT020's that at 8,000 miles the fronts were at the wear bars and badly cupped but the rear still appeared to have a lot of miles left in it. That surprised me as most of you have said your rear tires wore out first.

Bob

Ditto with some of the others. My OEMs were gone in less than 6000 miles. Put on a set of the Avon Storms but developed a front vibration within 2000 miles. Replace just the front tire with a PR3 and it worked really well. My next set will be PR3s front and back.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
How and where you ride has a big influence on how your tires wear. Most companies make a range of tires that are very different and cater to different priorities. All the new tires that have gone on my bike felt better than the ones that came off, even the same type and brand.

Bike
Front OEM did have tread but cupped badly, I never seen tires with that much tread cupped so bad: That was when I purchased the bike with 2.1K was on the clock. I think I hang them in the barn, and keep for an emergency.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Getting 10k out of the originals is an achievement in itself. I gladly got rid of my stock tires around 6400 miles. My PR3s were put on before 2012 Spearfish trip and still on the bike. So I have almost as many miles on them as the ones they replaced, and they still look like they have enough tread to ride anywhere in the states and back.

It took me awhile to get the confidence to really lean in some corners, but now I don't even think about it and really enjoy making her lean. I think part of my confidence issue was that my stock fronts were so badly cupped that they were scary leaned over and when I first tried the PR3 they were still too slick.

Bike
For the first time, I do not feel a shake in the front from the cupping of the OEM tires. I got a local shop to install and he said the next time he will match the lowest price I find on the web. But he only charge $80 to take off and install. On my BMW CLC the dealer was going to charge me $125 to install.
I hope to give these a good workout this week down to Barber for Vintage days. 6 days of riding etc and back up to Michigan.

Bike
After the ride down to Barber and back: both on highway going very fast and some of the most amazing twisties these tires are very good at both. I think anyone looking for tires should consider the PR3, maybe a little more but I believe in this case you really get what you pay for.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Left my dealer last night with PR3's installed. It was raining really hard and even though they are advertised as having good traction in the rain I decided to take it easy on the way home. Not sure if mold release is still an issue with new tires or not. My dealer charged $100 to install and balance them. The tires cost about as much as I could have bought them online but unfortunaltey since TN has no state or city income tax the sales tax was a big bite.

Top Bottom