New NT Convert

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That's the ONLY advantage of a chain drive over a shaftie. And one I'm not willing to trade for.
I disagree. I don't intend to start an argument here but only share my thoughts. I really don't much care whether my motorcycle is chain, shaft, belt or direct drive electric. Any further discussion from me will have to take place over a beer at a picnic table in Spearfish. Can't wait to see who shows up for that.

Rear tire changes are much easier on my Tiger than they were on my NT. Removing the wheel is easier because it is not necessary to remove/loosen the exhaust or deal with getting the wheel out from under the fender. There is no need to worry about the O-rings and messy moly paste either. New chains have an undeserved bad reputation. The sealed o-ring/x-ring chains last much longer than the old roller chains as do the sprockets. (My first chain/sprocket change the Tiger was over 30,000 miles.). New/replacement chains are commonly available and chain repair is pretty easy with a quality chain tool and repair kit. Some engineer friends tell me that a chain is still then most efficient way to drive a motorcycle wheel (by up to 10% for some). Chain drives are generally less expensive, but who cares how much our motorcycles cost.

I've owned several shanties - Honda Shadow (1980s), Kawasaki Vulcan 750 91990s), Concours 1000, and the NT 750 and the drive lines have always been trouble free. And in between those shaft drives I've had chain drives as well. I did an engine swap on the Concours and the shaft drive made that chore lots more difficult than if it had had a chain drive. I used to prefer the shaft drives but the new chain drives have really leveled the playing field for me. But I'd gladly trade my Tiger for a BMW RT unless I had to pay for it (or even for a GS unless it was blue). [Sorry, just wanted to see if you were paying attention Mellow]

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Where were you riding the NT? Because if someone were to ask me about fuel efficient motorcycles, I wouldn't suggest the NT. I would suggest bikes like the CB500F or NC750X.

A quick search shows Tiger owners get MPG in the low 40's. The NT really isn't any better than that at high speed riding, and gets very thirsty during highway RPMs. I've only seen 50 - 60 MPG from the NT on back roads where speeds might be 50 or under.
My NT got a high of 68 mpg on the Blue Ridge Highway and a low of 37 mpg crossing the Dakotas in a strong headwind.
The Tiger got a high of 65 mpg on relaxed backroads around home and a low of 37 mpg on I90 trying to keep up with Tip on the way to Spearfish.
Overall my NT was usually about 55-60 mpg and the Tiger is 50-55. Sorry, I don't keep records like Phil Tarman.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've been averaging 48-49mpg running at 70-75 on interstates and 2-lanes out here in Colorado. Often times in the mountains, I'll get 53-56mpg.

Top Bottom