New NT for 2022?

The pictures floating around the internet are computer generated so who knows what it will end up looking like. Should be interesting to see what they end up with.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah... Honda is pretty good at keeping secrets and motorcycle sites like to show things that will generate activity/discussions on their sites.

When/If Honda is going to create another version of the NT, THEY will let us know or THEY will leak info... until then, it's all just a guess.

There is no current NT so ANY new version will be a good thing... I'm sure it won't work for many, I'm sure it will work for many, I'm sure it will be OK for many.... lol

I suppose EICMA in November would be a good place/time for Honda to give us a peak. I think it'd be neat to own an NT700 and an NT1100 given I already have the original Africa Twin Adventure Sports and the 30 year anniversary model as well.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I am a frugal owner when it comes to my vehicles. I own them as long as I can to get my money's worth out of them. When they start giving me numerous troubles or other inconveniences, financial or otherwise then I look into getting rid of them. So far both my NT and NC are not in that category at this moment. So, they stay in my inventory. The Zero SR was ousted after 2 years and 23,000 miles. More trouble than it was worth.

Even if Honda were to come out with a bike remotely close to those images. I do not think they will be marketing it as an NT or Sport Tourer. I think that they would drop it into the "Standard" category with no factory-equipped storage. They may offer some Hondaline storage options that would mostly be undersized or have an awkward shape to be of any use. Aftermarket top case and saddlebags would probably be the best option. I would also give this bike an $18-19k price tag as well to compete with the AFRICA TWIN ADVENTURE SPORTS ES $17k price tag. I would look at it hard if it had a DCT option. However, not at $18k. Even $12k would still be a stretch with me.

I would not get my hopes up in any way in the near future. I believe Honda would have to start looking hard at trying to tract more of the Gen-Xers and Millennials with models geared towards them specifically. That would probably entail more electronic gadgetry or some sort. All I want is an ambient air temperature gauge on the cluster. Electrically adjustable windscreen and Electronic Cruise Control would be icing on the cake, not a requirement. Keep things like TPS far away...

The NT sold very well in Europe and the UK for years, Honda kept updating the bike over time and we eventually received it for two model years after the vfr800 was axed in the U.S. in 2009. The American market place supports more recreational toy like machines like crazy big and expensive Adv bikes, overstyled cruisers, 200 hp sport bikes and quads and dirt play bikes.

Everyone is trying to save a buck so I don’t think it will have a shaft, likely the same electronics found on the current AT and an external luggage option. It will be interesting, the AT is too big for many and the Rebel 1100 is cramped for taller riders so this new NT1100 might be the Goldilocks version.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Everything these days has this insectoid look... the UJM... it's gonna be hard hard to find your motorcycle again at a gathering...
No fairing, no integrated panniers, no shaft-drive, no surfaces or dash-space to add any farkels...

A friend's wife has the NC750X... the panniers (highly expensive aftermarket acc...) jus "hover" at a palm's width aside the rear frame, kinda auxiliary and sticking out the sides way too far, one needs to "think like a Kardashian" while filtering and such...
The thing has absolutely no rear fender, road spray everywhere, washing unhindered onto the rear shock, swingarm linkage, engine parts and at the outside as high as your helmet backside... we just installed an aftermarket "hugger" to cover that rear wheel at least to some degree...
Another issue are those "single use only" fairing fixings, they're just snap-in clips, not designed to be taken off again... ever... a nightmare for servicing or installing farkels...
(I mean compared to my thrusty ST1100 already the ST1300 or the NT700 are a nuisance to work at... but that NC ideology, purely designed to be as cost and time effective as somehow possible while assembly at the plant, is beating this by far... 😕 )

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I saw two other patent drawings regarding this bike and both depicted chain drive :well1:

Oh well, can't have everything.

Mike

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I saw two other patent drawings regarding this bike and both depicted chain drive :well1:

Oh well, can't have everything.

Mike
Face it. Shaft drive is dead for any bike under 700 pounds or has a bunch of low end torque.

A good high quality drive chain cost over $150 and another $80 or so for set of sprockets. The costs of a shaft drive system came be will over $1,000. There’s a huge cost savings going with chain drive and for it’s simplicity.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
That article is the same February click bait.
I will say that I just got back from another 1000 mile trip on my VFR and the adjustment of the chain hasnt changed. I will clean it and lube it and call it good. Both it and my Susy Vstrom will go 20,000 with their present chains. I just wish they would enclose them.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Honda may be aiming that model at the Yamaha GT900 and the BMW touring 800. I was surprised by the 1100 Rebel (and the cost). An NT1100 makes more sense than the Rebel. I am partial to the steering feel of 19" front wheels. If it comes with a 19" front, I would give it a close look. It all seems unlikely though, until the supply chains are stable again.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The NC DCT, is fine for a leisurely ride. Perfect. But it's hard-put to outdrag a Harley - and that is low-hanging fruit.
I do it all the time with NaNCy. Your not doing it right. Put it in S-Mode and hold the throttle wide-open. You’ll see an immediate difference.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Due to new laws coming in in the EU, a Deauville/NT700 replacement is probably more likely. This is due to the fact that new bikes sold in the EU will be speed limited at some unspecified date.

Note: New cars, light trucks (<=7.5 tonnes) and vans from 2022 will be speed limited to the maximum speed for the road they are on . The law covers motorcycles but, as the technology isn't mature for motorcycles yet, the date of introduction for motorcycles is unspecified.

Now, you live in the "land of the free" and this won't apply to you. Right? No, wrong.

The vehicles will be fitted with the technology as standard (because it's cheaper from a manufacturing point of view - like ABS on new bikes) and most State legislatures and governments will think this is a good idea. Also, it paves the way for fully autonomous vehicles.

So, "litre bikes" will become things of the past and most vehicles won't be able to exceed the speed limit so, there's no point making fast vehicles. Ergo, slower bikes like the NT700 (yes, I know it can exceed the speed limit) that can only exceed the limits by a smallish margins will be what the manufacturers will make. Possibly great news for Harley.

The scary part is: the time, your speed and location will be continuously logged and stored in the ECU! Retrospective speeding tickets are on their way. So, get ready to lobby your governments against this!

The law :
https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/better-regulation/have-your-say/initiatives/12222-Vehicle-safety-technical-rules-&-test-procedures-for-intelligent-speed-assistance_en

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I'll have to try that.

I use S to avoid silly, inconvenient upshifts in traffic; but I'd found that pinning the throttle on a start keeps the shift points high, even in D.

Maybe S changes fuel mapping as well.

If I can remember, next time I'm alongside a Hardley-Driveable...old age doth manifest.
I always put mine in S-Mode when I ride around town or when carving a canyon. I only use D-Mode to move the bike to the front of the house and when out on a highway where I will not be stopping often. I also used MT-Mode when Lane-splitting or when situations where I do not want an unplanned gearshift.

You should also put yours in S-Mode every time you get on it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My 1st bike was an '83 GL650i. I had a friend who, at the time, had a GL1200 Goldwing. He had owned an '80 GL500. He was amazed at the difference the extra 150cc made to the GL650. I could stay with him on acceleration till about 75mph. The Silverwing topped out at 94mph, but I did have a huge windscreen -- the biggest sold by JC Whitney.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Where I really felt the GL's change from 500 to 650 was with the Turbo model. The 500 had low compression to compensate for the turbo so it was really gutless in town while the additional 150 cc improved that greatly. And in both cases, I'm talking about riding it off boost!

Top Bottom