New NT Owner

Bike
Silver NT700V
Congrats on your purchase and first ride. Half way to break in. The black ones are certainly striking.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Congrats, Chris.

A question for you and anyone else who may want to chime in.

You rode a brand new bike 330 miles. Right off the top of my head, that seems to be a hard way to break in a new engine. Did you intentionally vary speeds? Anybody else have any ideas as to whether a long ride could be harmful to the bike in the long run?

There is a reason I ask - I too may be buying a new NT and riding it home. Just curious - and don't want to hurt the machine.

BUT - I had to chuckle and identify with Chris on shifting. I know Chris from another forum - one for Suzuki Burgman riders. Again, like Chris, it has been many years since I shifted a bike - I've been shiftless for the past two years on my big scooter. (The time I spent in Asia riding motorbikes in the past few years doesn't count - centrifugal clutch and a totally different shift pattern.)

Anyway - love to hear thoughts about running the NT so hard right out of the crate.

skiper

Hi Daboo - that's fun to say, "Daboo" he he. Sounds like you had yourself a good adventure there. The part about first riding jitters reminded me of my NT pickup. Some fun.I think this machine is going to surprize you for a long time. Mine seems to break in and feel better all the time. Part is me becoming a better rider, but this machine is sort of underdog style. it's really great at what it is and fits me extremely well. Good Luck to You. Hey - my lost friend Frank Donahue was at Mildenhall in 1980. Giv em a shout out if you know him.. and I don't think your breakin was hard on the engine. I believe the debates on break-in are real but may only show up in timed racing scenarios . Your engine is fine. But the rituals of break - in are fun .. it's all fun

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I bought mine in Arkansas and traveled 1800 miles back to Long Island. The advice that I got and wanted to believe was that modern manufacturing techniques made much of the old school break in advice dated. I varied speeds and ranit hard in short bursts. Nearly 40,000 mi later all's good.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Okay - thanx for that, Chris. I ride like most people my age - a little bit on the conservative side. I'm thinking that if I just vary the speed on occasion on the trip home, I should have no problem at all.

(I am beginning to sound like I have already made up my mind to get an NT.)

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The things to avoid are
A: droning on and on at one speed for long periods
B: hard acceleration from low rpms
C: Jackrabbit starts

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Comanche, have you thought about the one in Idaho? He'll arrange shipping for you with the same company that ships motorcycles to him. He'll have them deliver it to a local dealer where you can pick it up from.

$7600 is a hard price to beat...and it would be new with a warranty. :)

Chris
LOVE the name for your new bike, Chris!

Yes, I have thought about it. The price is right and shipping might bring up the cost a bit, but then so would a trip to Dallas (a 10 hour car trip), so it might just work out even.

mntsansea_girl

Great pics. Great choice.
I am living in Germany right now and was over in Rudeshiem (Rhine River Valley) and so what looked like my red 2010 NT700. But it was a gold color. I walked up to the guy riding and smiled when I saw the Deauville on the side of the bike. I told him I had one in the states. He said his was 12 years old and he loved it.
So,who knows, you may one day be able to say you have a 12 year old NT700, and you love it.
Meghan

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks for sharing the pics and congratulations! Coeur d'lene is such a pretty town, haven't been there in quite awhile now.

Chris,
Great bike and thanks for the info on the dealer. I called and they do have one left. He quoted me $8,049 however. Guess the 7400 is plus freight and setup. Or were you able to negotiate these fees?

Craig

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Even $8000 is better than the price most people paid at $11,200. You have one thing working against you if you really want this bike. There are few left that are new. When I did the Search Tempest query, there was that one and another in California that I believe was Red, so it didn't have the ABS if that's important to you. I was basically looking across most of the western half of the USA. I'm not saying the used ones aren't good, just if you want a new bike, there's not a lot of choice.

Chris
I just bought my new one yesterday, though I won't take delivery of it until Monday, May 20. The bike is at a dealership in Dallas and I am ten hours from there, so I'll fly up there and ride it back.

But, in my search, I found another new one at Maxim Honda, also in Dallas. Silver 2010 with ABS. http://maximhonda.reachlocal.com/?scid=1857622&kw=12648322&pub_cr_id=7732470581

New ones are still out there - just not a lot of them

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Do a search on Cycle Trader. Check for both NT700Vs and NT700 Varadaros. There are 99 of them listed there. Quite a few are '11s. There's supposedly one at DFW Honda for $7699. Sometimes these bikes aren't there when you call, but these are scattered all over the country.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Absolutely none. There's no such thing as an NT700 Varadaro. There's an XL1000 Varadero in Europe, as well an XL125 Varadero. Some dealers want the "V" to stand for something. But as far as I know, all it stands for is "V." :)

But listings for NT700 Varaderos will show you some different bikes than the listings for "plain" NT700Vs will.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...The advice that I got and wanted to believe was that modern manufacturing techniques made much of the old school break in advice dated...]

Very true. Many (most?) modern Honda cars have their first service at 8k miles and only require an oil change but no filter change so they're pretty confident about the lack of contaminants or machining residue inside the engine.

Top Bottom