New or Used...and Some Questions

Skeptic

Think depreciation here... how many miles will you put on before you decide to sell? How does a '10 with (say) 48k stack up against an '11 with 25k on resale? Of course, you need to consider the fees associated with the new one, but even so it still seems like that is the way to go.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
In my humble opinion..New with ABS, especially at that price. And I don't even have ABS....You can make the new one your own over time. No need to rush adding farkles, take your time and add as you discover your own needs.

freezingalaskan

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd go for the new one with ABS. My ABS has only kicked in once, but I think I would have nailed a woman who ran a red light right after a rain storm. With the ABS, it just raised my pucker factor a bit, but once I got my shorts pulled out, all was well.

Like freezingalaskan says, you can always add the farkles as you decide you need or want to. Plus the warranty on that new one can be extended (although some would say that's unnecessary, I think it paid off for me when I replaced a water pump and a muffler at 53,000 miles and three years.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Like most of the others, for the price difference I would opt for the new one. This is especially true if you tend to keep the bikes for a long time and/or put a lot of miles on. Check on extended warranty and pre-paid maintenance. I got both as I intend to keep this bike 5 years or more and will have 100K miles on it by then. The maintenance agreements are dealer specific so the they vary widely (wildly?) depending on who you talk to. Mine is for three years, unlimited mileage. It never hurts to ask.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
It's a no brain-er. NEW ABS. In two days you won't even think about those extra $. After only one time that the ABS does its job, then it has saved you more than a 1000 dollars. Had mine had ABS last June than I would not have fallen down and would have saved the insurance company over 3 grand. And it was a 5mph fall-down. (Ask Phil, he saw it.)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The new one without any doubt.... The ABS alone would make the decision for me. Add in the warranty and no unknown history for 23K miles and it is not even a close decision.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Ditto.

I would not buy a newish bike these days without ABS. In fact, I passed on several bikes when shopping for the NT because the ones available did not have ABS.

And, if the 2011 is the black one then even more reason to get it :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Had mine had ABS last June than I would not have fallen down and would have saved the insurance company over 3 grand. And it was a 5mph fall-down. (Ask Phil, he saw it.)
I did! And I've never even thought about Chuck's fall being an pro-ABS argument, but it definitely is...and a very effective one. He was doing 5, front wheel went into a crack in the center of the road, locked up and he was down veryfast.

That means we both have one instance when the ABS was (or, in Chuck's case, would have been) worth the grand.

Where is the new one?

Johnny Canuck

Hey...tell me the location of a new NT at that price and I'll buy it!

tawilke46

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I agree, The ABS new is a great buy with warranty.
I prefer the red, but that is a great price and I wish I had ABS.
The used one is about $1,000 too high to make it fair.....although there is still a lot of bike left after 23,000....if it were standing on its own and not compairing to the new one.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That was a very good deal for a new 2011. WOW Motorcycles, a very large used motorcycle dealer in the Southeast, is asking $7K for a used 2010 without ABS...and they don't move much on price. Maybe that is why it has been sitting so long...:wink:

how do you normally route power to the front of the bike? I'll want to hook my GPS up at some point.
If you haven't already take a look at the How-To and Reviews tabs at the top of the page. There are several good threads on installing a FZ-1...and all sorts of other farkles!

MorleyJC's is good, see it HERE.

This thread has a lot of useful info on installing a FZ-1 as well....

Top Bottom