New Owner

Just picked this up today for $1,500. It's got 12,000 mi on it. Overall it's in good shape other than the faded plastics and the fact that the previous owner unfortunately decided to access the saddle bags with drill and hammer instead of just drilling out the lock. They're pretty destroyed.
Overall the bike seems to be in good shape though.

Attachments

12,000 miles, I think you got a very good deal. There are special paints made for plastics that should make the black plastic parts look like new easy enough. I'm not sure why the previous owner did all that damage, but then again maybe he didn't do it. Maybe someone did that trying to access the bags without the key and knowledge of how the bags work. At any rate, I'd see if the latch system still seems to work, then start looking for a set of bag lids. In my opinion, unless you have some maintenance records, I'd change all the fluids and give the bike a good look over. You might check the date on the tires also. Originals would have a lot of years on them.

Enjoy your new ride!

Cliff

OP
OP
Tires are from 2011 and will be changed. The previous owner got it without keys and broke into the boxes trying to get the seat off. Unfortunately it's all pretty much destroyed. I'm going to end up having to put some sort of strips over the top to cover the damage and then create external latches I think for it. Not going to be pretty but parts in the US appear to be pretty much unobtainable for it and I'm not going to put $1,000 into plastic parts on a bike that I paid $1,500 bucks for. I'm pretty much just going to do the best I can with it and go have fun with it :) One of the advantages of a super cheap bike is not being too terribly concerned about cosmetics.
All the fluids will also be changed.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You will have a lot of fun with it! They are very good bikes, it's a shame some idiot destroyed the pannier lids.

Mike

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Just picked this up today for $1,500. It's got 12,000 mi on it. Overall it's in good shape other than the faded plastics and the fact that the previous owner unfortunately decided to access the saddle bags with drill and hammer instead of just drilling out the lock. They're pretty destroyed.
Overall the bike seems to be in good shape though.
The good news is that all the plastics are still available from American Honda. The pieces that hold the locking mechanism should be replaced on both sides I'd say as they are integral to the integrity of the locks.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The black plastic parts can be repainted using a satin black trim paint. The pannier lids are still available according to Parts Fish, but are about $1000 for the set. They seem expensive, but with a $1500 purchase price plus $1000 for lids, you still have a bargain for a 12K mile bike that with a little work and TLC will look like new. If it were mine, I would give it some thought. Either way, you will have an enjoyable ride.

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
He could have taken the number off the key lock and got keys made from a good locksmith. :rolleyes: That may be good info for you. Hopefully he didn't damage the ignition switch too. They all took the same key. Good buy though. That is very low mileage. Hopefully you can get it all going and enjoy the ride. Still in love with my 2010 even after 92,000 miles.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't think you're going to find the pannier lids for the right side. I'm not sure you'll find any big lids for either side.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I don't think you're going to find the pannier lids for the right side. I'm not sure you'll find any big lids for either side.
When I first saw his post, I thought the same thing. Just for funsies, I checked Parts Fish and they show as available once again so apparently Honda felt there was enough volume to start a production run. They ain't cheap though.

Mike

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I think that I still have the original silver panniers from my 2010 NT. They are probably in storage. Unfortunately, I will not be able to check until May.

Top Bottom