New PR3s comming

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just ordered a set of PR3s from Bike Bandit, $283 with a free $50 bike cover to my door.
Just curious if anyone has toyed with the idea of changing sizes as far as aspect ratio, etc.
I run Gold Wing Dunlap E3s on my Connie and although it is a tight fit, they work out really well for me....
My NT bike now has 4500 miles on it and my calculations say that I will get a tad over 8,000 out of the OEM tires.....
When I take off my wheels, I plan on making a ramp and platform where part of the ramp can be taken quickly off to let the rear tire drop free.
Any ideas on how high the platform must be? Man I love this bike.....what will I ever do when they take away my steam gages and only give me
digital readouts????:(

tawilke46

Just installed some PR3's on my NT. Have taken the bike out only one time on the new tires.
Definite difference over the OEM tires. Smoother, quieter, with quicker transitions in turns. I found the ride to be just a tad firmer than the 020's. You will really like them!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
In my opinion you would gain little by changing the sizes as specified for the NT. The front is already in the most common size for sport bikes and sport touring bikes and while the rear 150 is perhaps on the small size it contributes positively to the handling of the NT. A larger rear would slow down you turn in abiltiy and with the low hp of the NT it is not really needed for traction etc. I also like the accuracy of the NT's speedometer and changing tire size's can also effect that.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris,

I will be suprised if you get much over 7,000 from the stock tires, My rear was almost toast at tha point, The front might have made 8 or 9000 , but I replaced both at 7,000. I have not looked back. I have been rater hard on the P-'s tough Or t SD and back and Oregon to Denver and back at speed limits plus 10 in hot weather ec and the rear looks like a dark side car tire. I have 10,400 and will probably get another 2 -3000 out of rear. I will most likley go with the same thing again.

Eldon

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My OEM rear tire has about 5K on it and looks like it will make it to about 6K. The front is quite cupped and getting quite a buzz to it. The tread depth is good, but it is quite noisy already. I'm looking forward to putting on some new tires in a couple weeks. I wish there was a way to do a front wheel burn out to reduce the cupping.

Dealers around here are refusing to mount tires that were not purchased from them. They say their insurance prohibits them from mounting tires that customers bring in (even new in the package tires). There are 3 shops in Duluth and they all have the same policy. So it costs a few bucks more to buy the tires from them, but then they don't over charge for mounting.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My OEM rear tire has about 5K on it and looks like it will make it to about 6K. The front is quite cupped and getting quite a buzz to it. The tread depth is good, but it is quite noisy already. I'm looking forward to putting on some new tires in a couple weeks. I wish there was a way to do a front wheel burn out to reduce the cupping.

Dealers around here are refusing to mount tires that were not purchased from them. They say their insurance prohibits them from mounting tires that customers bring in (even new in the package tires). There are 3 shops in Duluth and they all have the same policy. So it costs a few bucks more to buy the tires from them, but then they don't over charge for mounting.
The insurance line is so over used. :rolleyes1: They just want to try and force you to pay their tire price (which is normally to much). I've stopped dealing with dealerships for tire changes (and most other things actually). If you can find an independent shop, they'll likely do the tire change especially if you bring them the rims off the bike.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The insurance line is so over used. They just want to try and force you to pay their tire price (which is normally to much). I've stopped dealing with dealerships for tire changes (and most other things actually). If you can find an independent shop, they'll likely do the tire change especially if you bring them the rims off the bike.
I agree with you about the "insurance line". But good independent shops up here are about non-existant. There are a couple in Duluth-Superior, but from just looking through the door none of them are a place I'd trust with my motorcycle (or wheels). I had one guy bend my rim for me while mounting a tire. When I returned to complain he hammered it straight He wouldn't spring for a new one because "it wasn't broke". It is easier to get a snowmobile track replaced than tires on a motorcycle.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Very interesting about the "insurance" card. It is bravo sierra, of course. You can track the tire right back to Michelin. It is not a fake. The Honda dealer here has mounted pleanty of tires for me.
Some days, I would love to be a lawyer and tell these dealers that want to soak you that I represent Michelin and Bike Bandit and my firm is openning up a defamation law suit against
them.
Imagine a dealer saying, "Oh, we cant sell you tires and put them on your rims cause you took them off yourself and we cant be held responsible if you put the wheels back on up side down."

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris,

I will be suprised if you get much over 7,000 from the stock tires, My rear was almost toast at tha point, The front might have made 8 or 9000 , but I replaced both at 7,000. I have not looked back. I have been rater hard on the P-'s tough Or t SD and back and Oregon to Denver and back at speed limits plus 10 in hot weather ec and the rear looks like a dark side car tire. I have 10,400 and will probably get another 2 -3000 out of rear. I will most likley go with the same thing again.

Eldon
I did my clackatations using a depth mic and of course there are many variables....many of my touring miles are done in cool weather, which helps. At 4500 miles, I am gonna guess I have 3500 miles left to the magic legal .062 in level. But you could be right. This bike DOES cruise very nicely at 80 mph in Montana...and that does wear the tires faster. The Gold wing sized Dunlop E3s on my Connie last 22,000 miles and would probably go more but then I ride the connie more in the fall....like to THE RENO NATIONAL AIR RACES IN 7 DAYS 15 HOURS AND 10 MINUTES, BUT WHOSE COUNTIN'!!!!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!!! (Eldon, about those low speed limits and non self serve gas pumps in Oregon...we gotta talk.....)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Any ideas on how high the platform must be?
Chris, My platform with droppout is about 16 inches high and is really a little too high. I sit on the floor and rest the tire on my knee as I line up the splines and brake caliper.
I'm not sure what the minimum height would be but probably not very tall. Someone with an adjustable lift may better answer that question.

Brad

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, My platform with droppout is about 16 inches high and is really a little too high. I sit on the floor and rest the tire on my knee as I line up the splines and brake caliper.
I'm not sure what the minimum height would be but probably not very tall. Someone with an adjustable lift may better answer that question.

Brad
Hey Brad, thanks! You are now the expert. Go ahead, make a guess. I wont yell at you.... 8 inches? 6 inches? Dremel off 3 inches of the rear fender?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I agree with you about the "insurance line". But good independent shops up here are about non-existant. There are a couple in Duluth-Superior, but from just looking through the door none of them are a place I'd trust with my motorcycle (or wheels). I had one guy bend my rim for me while mounting a tire. When I returned to complain he hammered it straight He wouldn't spring for a new one because "it wasn't broke". It is easier to get a snowmobile track replaced than tires on a motorcycle.
Bummer! Around $500-$600 and you can get a nice machine to mount/balance your own stuff. I haven't since I have plenty of shops that can mount tires that I bring in for about $30 a pop. But if I had to pay $100 more because the local dealers insisted on screwing me over, that machine would surely pay for itself in short order.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I need tires too, and want to do the "ramp with drop out" so I do not have to dissasemble the whole bike. If 16 inches works but may be a little high can anyone give me more info? Down to 10 maybe? I got 10800 out of the OEM tires and the ride is getting bad and probably dangerous! I was hoping to make it to winter but that is not going to happen!

chillman

Chris,

I had 18,887 miles on mine with the old Battlax Bt-20's. They were so flat the bike almost stood on their own. Put PR3's on it and it is a whole new bike. Much better feel, in my opinion, when I have her footpegs touching the pavement!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Chris,
I measured my dropout platform and it is 18 inches. (the 16 inch was an estimate).
While I had a tape measure out I measured the bike. It looks like 10-11 inches would work to me. The tire has an 11 inch radius so if you could drop it that far the top of the tire would be at axle level. That height should clear the fender without much fuss.

Brad

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris,
I measured my dropout platform and it is 18 inches. (the 16 inch was an estimate).
While I had a tape measure out I measured the bike. It looks like 10-11 inches would work to me. The tire has an 11 inch radius so if you could drop it that far the top of the tire would be at axle level. That height should clear the fender without much fuss.

Brad
Thanks! They came today....how fast was that!!!!! Rear tread depth is about .250 inch and the front is about .150 in. Legal minimum in the state of WA is .062. I plan on doing a graph of tread depth vs miles to see how linier it is. They go on next year.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks for the tip Coyote, ordered mine just now and Bike Bandit was the best deal. Cheap Cycle Parts dot com was out of stock and more expensive!
I am on the free shipping club list...no part too big or too small. I ordered the clamp you are supposed to replace when you pull the High P fuel line....no hassle...no handleing fee...just good
service....Occasionally, they send me $5 just cause they like me. I always get a small credit when I order anything....cant say enough good things about the way they deal with me.

Top Bottom