New Rear-Wheel bearing and PR4s

My PR3s gave me 23,000 good miles, but the air was threatening to show through . . . so I finally replaced them with PR4s. In the process I discovered that the rear bearings were so tight I could not turn them at all with my finger! Someone here had posted a link to All Balls Racing, so I gave them a try (http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1020.html) and bought a kit with both bearings and a new seal for less than $30. These bearings appear to be a higher quality than the OEM ones were. My bike is my main transportation, so I also opted for the overnight delivery, and managed to get my order in three minutes before the same day service deadline. To my delight, the new bearings were delivered by ten the next morning. All Balls definitely came through for me!

The bike feels very different now, and it's all good. My feet don't quite reach the pavement like they used to, and this is noticeable, but at my age some shrinkage is to be expected. Overnight shrinkage was not expected though . . . The real surprise was that the greater diameter of the wheels changed the steering feel rather dramatically! It now requires much less force to turn the handlebars, almost to the point where it feels too easy. Cornering is a delight, though, and the tread seems more "grippy" than the older PR3s, which may simply be a function of the reduction in tread on the old tires. Both front and rear were getting somewhat "V" shapped from cornering. I have lots of curves in my daily commute.

With over fifty years of riding experience, this is the first time I've ever had a motorcycle wheel bearing go bad. I'll be putting the bike on the lift table for maintenance in a few weeks, and I plan to replace the front bearings at that time, simply because I didn't like that the one OEM bearing failed.

Bill

I replaced the steering head bearings on my NT and the new ones came from All Balls, at the recommendation of my mechanic at Sun Honda in Denver. He said they provided a better bearing than the OEM ones. I got great service, although I didn't pay for overnight.

When I replaced the front wheel bearings a month ago, I used OEM because I was leaving on a trip and didn't have time to wait even the one day for the repair.

Back
Top Bottom