New Ride - "Blackbird"

CheeseyRider

Well, my NT is now in used bike row at my local Kawasaki dealer and I left with a 2009 FJR1300 with 8400 miles on it. Of course, I do like it. I've named it Blackbird.
i traded a 2007 FJR for my NT - I miss the raw power, power adjustable windshield, and the awesome hard bags.
That said, I spend 95% of my riding in town commuting to work and running errands. The NT gets much better mpg, not as hot in stop-n-go traffic, and feels much more nimble in slow speed traffic.

I hope to take longer rides when I retire and fully expect I'll be looking at the FJR again when That day comes...

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Cool Congratulations on the FJR. I need to rent one for a weekend and see how it would compair to my aging ST1300.

Had some thoughts of trading the NT and the ST in on a late model FJR. However, today I had to return the cable come-along that I borrowed to retrieve my DR from the mountains, and wondered how I would carry it on my bike. NT to the rescue. The handle of the come-along fit into the pass-through. So I was able to carry it in the saddle bag. I find that when I have errands to run around the metro area of Denver, the NT gets the call. Maybe the FJR would be a great compromise between the NT and the ST.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good looking bike, Ken! Enjoy! I look forward to seeing Blackbird in "person."

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hey Chuck, "retrieve my DR from the mountains"? With a come-along? There has got to be a story hidden there.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
THe FJR is a lot quicker than the NT and I know several riders that realy run them hard, more than one with well ovr 100K on them, also the rear will tak a dark side tire, also fuel cell is not a major chore on them!Yours looks good!

Eldon

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Chuck -- Wow! Just checked out your post on ST-Owners.com. Quite a story. Glad the recovery went well. Happy ending!

Last edited:

YKnot

Well, my NT is now in used bike row at my local Kawasaki dealer and I left with a 2009 FJR1300 with 8400 miles on it. Of course, I do like it. I've named it Blackbird.
I am jealous. That is my halo bike. I may have to stop by and just stare at it next time I am visiting the family in Colorado.

Hey Ken, I hope you still plan to join us next year in Spearfish. It is a nice looking scoot. What are the differences that you notice between the FJR and the NT? Wendell

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hi Wendell, if I'm still kicking next year I plan to be in Spearfish. Differences...definitely more power, somewhat more weight, I think the NT was 562 wet, before adding any accessories, this FJR is 639 (the Gen1 2003-2005 ones are around 610), better saddlebags from the standpoint of latching and that they can be removed from the bike, less fuel economy, not as flickable, better night lighting (2 low beam & hi beam sources with H4 bulbs), dramatically less vibration, more gas capacity 6.6 gallons, more engine heat but I haven't messed with the adjustable side cowl positions yet. Valve adjustments are shim under bucket type so camshafts would need to be removed - but valve checks are specified at every 16,600 miles. Now realize that I have only ridden it for 2 days. For me it needs bar risers, and a custom seat - most likely a Russell. I've had 3 previous Russell Day Long seats on my previous bikes and I really like them. Oh, the seat is a 2 piece affair so I would only need to have the drivers portion customized. And IT COMES WITH A TOOL KIT! Also the front forks (48mm tubes) are adjustable for compression and rebound damping and the rear shock is adjustable also.

Last edited:
Nice bike Ken. There are times I lust for other bikes, yours being one of them, but as I get older (67 in a few weeks), I'm liking the NT more and more. Good luck. Keep in touch.

terry

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Terry, I know what you mean! I'll be 74 in October. I sold my Valkyrie, which I had for 12 years and really enjoyed, because I felt that it was getting to be too heavy for me. Not when riding at anything above walking speeds, but when getting it out of the garage, out of a slight downhill sloped parking space, etc. Had 1 too many drops that way. So I got the NT. It's a good bike, and an excellent commuter. But...I though to myself that if I'm ever going to do this, it had better be soon or it will be never.

MAC

Ken.

LMAO, I got rid of my Valk and NT for my 2013 FJR, boy what a bkie. Even though the FJR weighs 68#'s more then the NT and has a 6.6 gal tank it handles very well. I looked at the ST1300, but the FJR had far more goodies and was about $2000.00 less.
Enjoy your new ride.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Terry, I know what you mean! I'll be 74 in October.
Interesting. I am 70, and bought an NT because I was wondering if I would be able to hold up a bigger bike (like the FJR) in a few years.

Most of the big sport touring bikes, such as the FJR, ST1300 and Concours, have a reputation of being a bit top-heavy. Have you noticed that? Not that I'm in any hurry to get a big bike - just askin' :tongue:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Shoot, Comanche, when you've got camping gear loaded on the NT, plus a loaded trunk, it's top heavy. I like the FJR and would be really tempted, but suspect I'll keep this NT till it wears out in a few years. Then I'll look for another one.

But Ken's a lot younger at 74 than I am at 70. :)

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Doug, can't say that I have really noticed that as yet, but remember I just got it. I'm not actually riding it hard until my MC Enterprises saddlebag guards and Canyon Cages (engine guards) arrive. Bag guards scheduled for today, engine guards tomorrow. Once I get those installed I won't be so paranoid about a SAD (stopped and dropped) or low speed drop happening to me. They are powdercoated black and since the bike is black they should not stick out like a sore thumb. Anyway, like Phil said -- I've had the NT loaded up like that and it wasn't a problem.

Hey Phil, thanks for the complement. I'm questioning how factual it is, but thanks!

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Nice bike Ken, That looks real sweet. If you get out this way again, well you know...
Come on Chuck, I am still waiting to here the story why you did not stop by that night! Can you copy the story here for us to enjoy?

Top Bottom