New tire time

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Today I took advantage of a gorgeous spring day here in MO and washed the winter off of Scoot. After a thorough wash and detail I checked the tires with my tread depth gauge. Scoot now has about 7,300 miles on the clock. The rear tire still had 5/32" tread remaining with only a slight flattening in the center. The front tire however was down to about 3/32" tread which is about 1/16" away from replacement time... probably another 1,000 miles at best. I am planning a long trip to TN/NC/VA in May so I plan on replacing the tires before then. I really hate to "waste" the rear tire, but when I replace 'em I want to do so as a set. I sort of expected the tires to wear somewhat evenly and "need" replacement together or if anything, I expected the rear tire to be needed first. Has anyone else had their front tire wear out first? There are no signs of cupping nor are there any handling issues.

I have pretty well decided on the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 2's. The Michelin PR3's are a tad cheaper, but I just can't bring myself to buy a French product.

Mike

Mattb

I just put 2 Bridgestone BT-023's on mine and only have 100 miles experience with them, so I can't say how they will wear long term but I can say that the difference between these and the stock BT-020's is remarkable. The bike rides better than it did when it was new.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I sort of expected the tires to wear somewhat evenly and "need" replacement together...]

No such animal as the vast majority of bikes get shorter mileage from the rear tire by 10-20%.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Be careful if you put the 023's on. They let the bike run soooo well that it's like having another 10 hp...
Hmmmm.... another 10HP and mine bein' red, that means the silver ones don't stand a chance!.

:rofl1:

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am sure the Dunlop's are a fine tire. Your experience with the front wearing faster than the rear is odd. It appears to be opposite of what most of us have experienced. I have no explaination unless you are doing a lot of stoppies:)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I know the Dunlop Roadsmart 2s are made in the US; I'm pretty sure the PR3s are made here. But it is a global economy. I gave up trying to buy American cars when the last three cars I've owned have been a Honda made in the US, a Ford made in Mexico, and a Buick made in Canada.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I removed all the posts having NOTHING to do with the tire discussion.

Top Bottom