New tires for the bike-Bridgestone T30 EVO

I put nearly 600 miles on the 8 year old Oem tires on my new leftover 2011 NT and was surprised the bike handled ok but braking just didn’t seem to impressive. When I emailed, texted, left voice messages for the dealer that sold me the bike to take advantage of their discounted tires all I got was crickets. So ends that relationship.

Anyway found a great tire shop family owned and operated since the 70’s. When I called they knew the bike and mentioned bridgestones. I showed up Saturday morning for their excellent first come first served service and there was a set of T30 Evo tires set aside all ready to go. It was so refreshing to deal with a business that understands the power of customer service. They didn’t even have my name or phone number when I made my call earlier in the week, just my word that I would be in on Saturday.

With the new tires and stems installed braking has improved and the bike is smoother at speed. Cornering feels secure after about 100 miles on the tires. I’m going to change the oil and filter this weekend then take a nice long ride.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Finding a business that understands customer service can be quite difficult lately. Sounds like you found a good one.
If this is your first oil change just make sure to use the correct filter, the shorter one that the centerstand does not hit when folded up.

Brad

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The only way to compare tires is a good before (with history) and after (with history.) I also bought my bike as new-old-stock, albeit only 5 years old. I don't know what brand new Bridgestone Battleax's are like on this bike. Sure your new tires feel nicer, but pretty much all brand new tires will feel better than the old, hard tires they replaced. Even low-mileage ones. Tires release gasses over time, and become harder over time, regardless of whether they've been ridden. They're usually good for maybe 10 years tops.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
i haven't tried t30's, but you might find they wear quicker than Michelin pr3 & 4, Dunlop rd2 & 3

OP
OP
Camelot
Finding a business that understands customer service can be quite difficult lately. Sounds like you found a good one.
If this is your first oil change just make sure to use the correct filter, the shorter one that the centerstand does not hit when folded up.

Brad

Thanks for the tip, got the right Honda Oem filter, crush washers for the NT and my VFR, even Honda branded oil.

OP
OP
Camelot
The only way to compare tires is a good before (with history) and after (with history.) I also bought my bike as new-old-stock, albeit only 5 years old. I don't know what brand new Bridgestone Battleax's are like on this bike. Sure your new tires feel nicer, but pretty much all brand new tires will feel better than the old, hard tires they replaced. Even low-mileage ones. Tires release gasses over time, and become harder over time, regardless of whether they've been ridden. They're usually good for maybe 10 years tops.

The born on date indicated the oem tires were a bit over eight years old so yeah that’s why they got replaced. I will say I pushed the oem tires a bit and lived to tell the tale for 500~ miles but I never felt confident having them on my “new” bike. Riding on fresh rubber for me made a significant difference.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It's a great tire. I have been running them on several bikes over the years. I have a matched set on the NaTalie now, a new front put on this last Thursday. I have put over 5,500 miles on the rear and there's plenty of tread to go. I should get another 3-4k out of this tire.

I'd averaged about 8-9k on a rear and about 12-15k on a front.

The bike handles superbly in various riding conditions. I think that you made a sound decision with going this these tires.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
that's nothing!! Michelin Pr4 rear can get 12-14.5K, front best Dunlop rdsm 3 20-24K. try em you'll like them. yes they cost more, but longer interval between changes

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
As I have said on a previous thread, I went away from the PR4s because of the unpleasant wear pattern and noise, although they did do 27,oookm (17,ooo M).
I went back to the Bias Ply Pilot Activ on the front and Michelin Commander 2 on the rear.
The front currently has 19,ooo+km (12,ooo+ miles) and still has about another 8-10,oookm (5-6,ooo miles).
The rear was replaced recently (at 18,oooikm) due to a large puncture which destroyed the tyre, however it was only about 1/3 worn at the time. I can post a pic if you want as I still have the old tyre here.
I estimate the new rear Commander 2 will do 50,oookm (31,ooo miles). Ninety percent of my riding is fully laden with camping gear/food/water/clothes etc.
I am delighted with the Bias Ply tyres on the NT700.
The wet grip MAY be SLIGHTLY less but the feel of the bike is much improved over the PR4s.
It is much smoother on a good surface, even at 100+mph. It tracks a straight line much better. It is not affected by "tar snakes" like is was on the PR4s. It is not "squirrely" on gravel, like is was on the PR4s. It is QUIET, which it was not on the PR4s! Wheel out intervals are much further apart. I still scrape the pegs. They are much cheaper and fully legal (no insurance hassles).
For me, it is a win all round.
I know many people are happy with the PR4s but I was not and will not go back to them.

Macka

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I guess Michigan has really bad roads, I get about 8K and then I replace tires if I going out of area. At that there is tread, but not a lot and time to change for me. I do ride gravel, even it is just to get out to pavement.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
that's nothing!! Michelin Pr4 rear can get 12-14.5K, front best Dunlop rdsm 3 20-24K. try em you'll like them. yes they cost more, but longer interval between changes
Some of us are on a budget and have children in college. I just cannot justify spending $100-150 more per tire at this time at this stage of my life. Perhaps once my kids are out of college PR7 or PR8s will be available. :rofl1:

The Bridgestone T30 is a good "Budget" tire at a good price $$. The Michelin PR4 or PR5 may be a better tire for $$$.

I also like how the T30s stick in the road when cornering, especially in the twisities.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I thought the T30s were a great value but not a great tire. Details are in the T30 thread.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Price comparison at Revizilla with T31 vs PR5

120/70ZR17 - T31= $137.49, PR5 = $151.50. PR5 +$14.01 more
150/70ZR17 - T31= $159.95, PR5 = $179.23. PR5 +$19.28 more

PR5 $33.29 more per set.

Granted this is only one comparison and I looked at T31 not T30 as T30's are being closed out

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

PR5 $33.29 more per set.

Granted this is only one comparison and I looked at T31 not T30 as T30's are being closed out
All the dealers around me are asking near full retail for Michelins, about $250 front and $310-350 for the rear. Mounting is about $80 per tire if bring your own tires and ride the bike in. They charge $60 to mount and balance the tire if you buy from them.

So any savings on the tire are eaten up by taking in the bike into a local shop to get them mounted up for you.

I can get a T30 front or rear mounted up for about $200-240. California also charges a $1.75 tire fee per tire sold in the state. Bike Bandit charged me this fee for a set of dirt bike tires shipped from Nevada. I called them to dispute it and they told me to go pound sand. So, what am I gaining from buying online?

Another issue is that shops out here do not want to work on bikes over 10 years old. That includes tire changes. I have a local Honda Dealer that will work on any bike no matter how old it is.

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I thought the T30s were a great value but not a great tire. Details are in the T30 thread.
I'll tell you about a not so great tire that is still in production for over 25 years, the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire. I bought these back in the early 90's as a budget tire. They wore out fast and their performance was under par. I am surprised that they are still made and sold in great numbers.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700

PR5 $33.29 more per set.

You guys over there are so lucky.
Because of our small market size, everything is so dear here.
Bike tyres are 50-100% more expensive for us.
I recently bought a few parts for the NT from Partzilla and even with the ridiculous freight charge and exchange rate it was still half what I would pay from a Honda dealer here.

Macka

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I'm surprised to learn that. I mean, you guys have Holden cars, which have even been exported to America. (The Pontiac GTO was a Holden Monaro.) And you guys have those great 'utes' that we can't get over here. But maybe I'm answering my own question.....importing would be so expensive that you have developed your own auto manufacturers there.

Time for you to start your own motorcycle company. C'mon, a big, dusty land like that would be great for an adventure motorcycle start-up! :) Dingo Cycles or something like that.....

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Totally off topic.

The Australian automotive market was propped up by government subsidies for many years and ceased a couple of years ago. Once the subsidies stopped it was not feasible to continue manufacturing in such small volumes.

For many years there were high tariffs on imported cars (some of which still exist today) which also helped to prop up the Australian automotive market by making imported cars more expensive than they should have been.

It is a pity that automotive manufacturing has now ceased here in Australia as the last few models made by Holden (General Motors Holden), Ford and Toyota were some of the best vehicles ever made in this country (still not as good as the current Japanese or German vehicles though).

Seagrass

Top Bottom