New Transitions Photochromic Face Shield

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I had one on a Bell helmet I had and loved it but the Bell shields, for me anyway, were terrible in the rain and that had nothing to do with the photochromatic part, the regular dark and clear were also terrible so I sold that thing.. love my shoei and would like a transitions shield.

I know they are not cheap but it's so nice to not mess with stopping to change your shield or forgetting to change it at the last gas stop and having to stop again.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
My son had a helmet that had a photometric shield, I helped him sell it for $60 dollars because he did not like it. I sure they have improved the system, but if you still have to carry sun glasses for when you walk around, I don't think I want one. I think his was a Bell, but I really do not remember.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
My son had a helmet that had a photometric shield, I helped him sell it for $60 dollars because he did not like it. I sure they have improved the system, but if you still have to carry sun glasses for when you walk around, I don't think I want one. I think his was a Bell, but I really do not remember.

I have prescription transition glasses so they are fine and clear behind a transitions helmet shield, then darken a little if I lift it and walking around they change.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I find the drop down sun visor in my Neotec works just fine for me. I am not always interested in having a dark shield and would prefer to make the decision when I want it.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I find the drop down sun visor in my Neotec works just fine for me. I am not always interested in having a dark shield and would prefer to make the decision when I want it.
I tried one of those and while I did like it, it was also a hassle... I sometimes have to adjust my glasses and with all the movement of opening the clear shield, moving the lever to lift the visor and then adjust my glasses and reverse the steps, my glasses would move.. LOL! But, not one helmet works for everyone and every situation. I would like this shield as an option and it worked really well for me. I would forget it was even doing it's job most of the time. Again, just good to have options.

elizilla

I had a set of the transitions eyeglasses about 20 years ago. I hope they are better now. They drove me nuts - they didn't lighten all the way, they didn't get as dark as real sunglasses, they didn't lighten very quickly when I came indoors, and they didn't darken when I was in a space under UV-resistant glass (car, atrium, greenhouse, etc). They were so often in the wrong state! I suppose that technology would be less annoying in a motorcycle visor, since you take your helmet off before you walk into a building; the shield doesn't have to adjust very quickly very often and it's never used under other kinds of glass. Tunnels would be a problem, I suppose, but tunnels are a problem with any sort of tinted visor or sunglasses.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When I needed glasses I wore "photo greys" and then Transitions for many years and they worked well for me while riding. At the price of the shield I'd just get a pair of Transitions glasses I could use anytime and anywhere. Even if you have perfect vision a set of custom Transitions to use as eye protection and sunglasses would be about as cost effective and less likely to be damaged than a visor.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
When I needed glasses I wore "photo greys" and then Transitions for many years and they worked well for me while riding. At the price of the shield I'd just get a pair of Transitions glasses I could use anytime and anywhere. Even if you have perfect vision a set of custom Transitions to use as eye protection and sunglasses would be about as cost effective and less likely to be damaged than a visor.
The problem with transition glasses is they don't work behind a clear shield as it still blocks the rays needed to activate the lenses... or that's all I'd ever have. If they didn't block the uv rays then I'd look like a racoon with only the transition glasses.. LOL

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The problem with transition glasses is they don't work behind a clear shield as it still blocks the rays needed to activate the lenses... or that's all I'd ever have.
I guess I wore cheap clear visors prior to getting my eyes "fixed", about fourteen years ago, or the UV blocking in visors has improved a lot since back then.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The shields today, and car windshields, are all UV blockers.

I found that out when I tried the newer transition sunglasses. I had to carry an extra set of sunglasses for driving since the transitions would not darken. Ruined all the reasons for having them so have not used them since.

I love the drop down visor, but, it does add a few ounces to the weight of the helmet. It is also one more thing that needs to be cleaned :(

If they can get the transition shields down to the price of current tinted shields then I'd get one.

what would be even better is if they had glasses with manually adjustable tint. That I would pay for.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I found that out when I tried the newer transition sunglasses. I had to carry an extra set of sunglasses for driving since the transitions would not darken. Ruined all the reasons for having them so have not used them since.
Ah.. on a side-note, you're less likely to get skin cancer.... so it is a good thing..

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
English sun (when we see it!) must be different to US as my lenses work perfectly in the car(s) or on the bike - certainly no need to adjust anything or feel the need for sunglasses instead. Big peak would occasionally be more useful when riding into a low rising or setting sun though, so a pull out retractable peak on my flip front Shoei would be nice!!

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Ah now, French sun must be different to English sun. My photo-chromatic lens don't work well in the car or behind the ordinary visor.

For riding the bike,the drop-down sun visor works really well. Though I have noticed that, only when the sun is directly in my eyes, the photo-chromatic lens darken a little behind the drop-down, sun visor - an added bonus.

The photo-chromatic lens do work well when walking about. They darken quickly and also lighten quickly but, normal sunglasses work better in very bright sunlight.

So, I have a set of photo-chromatic vari-focals for normal use but in mid summer or when on holiday in sunnier climes I have a set of vari-focal RayBans.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
English sun (when we see it!) must be different to US as my lenses work perfectly in the car(s) or on the bike - certainly no need to adjust anything or feel the need for sunglasses instead. Big peak would occasionally be more useful when riding into a low rising or setting sun though, so a pull out retractable peak on my flip front Shoei would be nice!!
I always put a strip or two of tape across the top of my visors for that reason.

Sunglasses or at least UV protection, are required to keep from getting things like cancer in the eye. I also wear wide brim hats when I am outdoors to help protect against skin cancer.

My truck has a tinted windshield as well as side windows (darkest allowed by law) and very good UV filter. I rarely even have to wear sunglasses when driving it. The Honda is not, just UV. So I keep a pair of sunglasses in the car.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My truck has a tinted windshield as well as side windows (darkest allowed by law) and very good UV filter. I rarely even have to wear sunglasses when driving it.
I recently had our Mustang tinted with 3M Crystalline 40% tint, the darkest allowed here on a car, and now my wife's Transitions glasses won't darken at all. I tell her I can solve that by putting the top down....;) I carry a pair of RayBan sunglasses just for that reason...:cool:

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Transitions glasses won't darken at all
There is a type of Transitions that works using both UV and regular sunlight. I own a pair, and behind a visor, or inside a car, they work much like the early versions of Transitions: somewhat slow to darken to a reasonably dark shade. When exposed directly to sunlight the are extremely dark almost instantly, and are quick to lighten when they are in the shade. They always have a slight tint, but it is color neutral. However, that was a deal-breaker for my wife.

I can look up the details if you like; they are more expensive than the standard Transitions. I'm happy with mine.

Ken

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've sure been happy with my Transitions for as long as I've been wearing them. Mine don't get quite as dark on the bike as they do when I'm not wearing my helmet but they get dark enough for everything but riding straight into the sun as it sets.

I had some kind of cheap photo-chromic face-shield last spring when I was commuting to Rocky Ford. It darkened a very slight amount and was a "pretty" shade of light blue.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Note the part of not being able to wear them at night.

"IN BRIGHT LIGHT AND OUTSIDE CONDITIONS
Outdoors, Transitions Drivewear lenses are activated by both UV and visible light and change to a dark reddish-brown color. This color was designed for superior filtration of excess light and to provide increased protection from bright light. The brown color of the lens enables excellent color recognition with a special emphasis on highlighting greens. Because green is the most common color in the natural landscape, these lenses provide a great visual experience.

Transitions Drivewear lenses are designed for daylight and daytime driving conditions just like regular sunglasses and should not to be worn at night.
Because Transitions Drivewear lenses are sun lenses, the lenses never become completely clear. In low light conditions they will be a green/yellow color that provides high contrast, and maximize useful light information reaching the eye."

Top Bottom