New Year's Day Ride

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Warning!! This post is not suitable for all readers and contains taunting and may offend Yankee's and those living at or near the Arctic Circle. Reader discretion is advised!

'Twas a balmy 51 degrees at noon, clear and sunny when I fired up Traveller for a New Year's Day ride. I headed west on Missouri 94 which is the Lewis and Clark Trail which parallels the Missouri River. It also travels through Missouri Wine Country where some fine wines are produced from locally grown grapes. I crossed the Missouri River at Hermann Missouri which is ground zero for Missouri wine making. Hermann was founded by German immigrants in the 1800's and boasts some fine wineries and sausage shops. It is said that Hermann is where you can find the "best of the wurst". From Hermann. I continued on Missouri 100 which is also designated as the Lewis and Clark Trail as it too parallels the Missouri River except on the south side. Highway 100 terminates in Linn Missouri where I began my return journey eastward on US Highway 50. This is the same US 50 that is known as the "loneliest highway" in Nevada, but here in Missouri it ain't so lonely. All in all a wonderful 136 mile ride. Not many motorcyclist's out today as I only saw about 8-10 brave souls. Aside from some gusty winds from the south the weather was excellent. When riding thru Linn the bank thermometer read 58 degrees.

Mike

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Glad you got out also Mike. I braved a high of 45 degrees with a late start because I took a wilderness hike early. Got in a wonderful & sunny 80 miles before the sun started fading. Always great to start the New Year on the motorcycle. Enjoyed reading about your ride.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Warning!! This post is not suitable for all readers and contains taunting and may offend Yankee's and those living at or near the Arctic Circle. Reader discretion is advised!

'Twas a balmy 51 degrees at noon, clear and sunny when I fired up Traveller for a New Year's Day ride.....When riding thru Linn the bank thermometer read 58 degrees.

Mike
As an Official NT-Owners.org Moderator, I can tell you that the only thing that kept this post from being deleted was your barely adequate disclaimer at the beginning. But WATCH IT!!! You are on very shaky ground.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mike
Mike, glad to see you're living down to your reputation. I couldn't care less about your motorcycle ride, but the wine and wurst has my interest.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
not the NT, but spyder ride of 88 miles to a state park in 58 degree weather. I tied mike for the warmest ride of 1-1-2020

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It only hovered near freezing yesterday so I never left the house. We had some light icing on New Year's Eve so it made me wonder about road conditions but this is lightweight stuff compared to what occurs where Jungle Jim lives each winter. According to MikeSim, JJ's place is only a few miles south of the Arctic Circle.

Woodaddict - does your Spyder have a normal manual trans with clutch lever?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, glad to see you're living down to your reputation. I couldn't care less about your motorcycle ride, but the wine and wurst has my interest.
C'mon down sometime! The area wineries have tour days once a month from March thru November where they have a theme such as wurst and wine where they give you a sample of their cooking along with appropriate wine tastings. You can spend the day in the area sampling various culinary treats and wines.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Woodaddict - does your Spyder have a normal manual trans with clutch lever?
No clutch, its a semi auto with a paddle shifter on left cluster. operator shifts up, will automatically shift down at appropriate rpms. they do make a clutch / manual shift, but are not that many. well now that I think of it, for pryor years, now all semi auto for 2020

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ok, Ok..... I'll quit with the taunts for a while..... buuuut watch out the next time the ol' thermometer hits 50 agin'.... for now, I'm duly chastised.....

;)

Sorry, Aunt Mildred...

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I will tell you now that I went for a ride on New Years Day too. But my ride was on my fat bike with 4.5" studded tires and 3 psi rear and 2 psi front air pressure. I rode on my groomed snow trail in the woods which we ski and bike on all the winter (often into April). The trail is about 3 kilometers (there are more loops I could groom if I wanted). It starts and ends at my house goes through my 40 acres, onto my neighbors, and onto some County Forest land adjoining. There are no other access points so I the only one out there in winter.

Mike is convinced that all snow is bad, but it provides recreation for me and my wife. My dog loves romping along with us.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
WARNING: This post contains temperature content that might offend some readers. Proceed at "Your Risk".

No riding for me on New Years Day, I think that we reached the high 60's or low 70's. Yard chores are on my list of things to do for a couple of hours in a T-shirt. Thereafter into the garage to do some cleaning and organizing. I managed to pull out Megas from the corner of the garage to clean the area. When I got that part of the garage in order, then I turned my focus to waking Megas from her slumber. She sat for 6 weeks without any use. The battery could not power the digital instrument cluster. The battery is not needed to run this bike. After about 50 kicks and fiddling with the choke, she finally lit up and stayed running. Kickstarting a temperamental motorcycle helps keep you humble.

Skip one step and you are only wasting your energy kicking with combustion being futile.

Top Bottom