Newbie Instrument Panel Question

So, just bought my NT but it won't arrive via shipper until a week or so, and I need to get my new title.

Question on the present title to be signed over asks whether the bike has a 5-digit or 6-digit odometer. Haven't gotten the owners manual yet either. It's coming with the bike.

So, can the odometer display up to 999,999 miles or only 99,999 miles?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Interesting observation about myself. Just as soon as I posted that it's a six-digit odometer, I wanted to get up, go to the garage, and look to make sure. I'm going to be confident about my memory (this time) and not go because several people will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
currently my shows 5 digits... may be in another 82k miles I will know it is 6 digit :cool:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I told you about my memory! I just went out and looked and if it was a 6-digit odometer, I'm pretty sure there would be a zero on the left of the 27,xxx miles showing now. I change my vote to five-digits.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
6 digits when the NEED arises!!! Phil WAS using 6 digits on last bike, as well as me. I saw 201,111 on display. tenths only display on trip odo

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, David! I sure thought I could remember seeing 139,000 on the display! So, my memory sorta' works; it's just my ability to think clearly that's nearly gone. 🤪

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Karls remembery is not so good. Mine has six as well. It is currently at 128XXX.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
WingMan71
Thanks guys!

Gonna run to the DMV tomorrow and attempt to get my SC title. (May be an all-day affair at the SCDMV!)

Got the PO's title, keys, and full maintenance records in the mail yesterday. Bike won't arrive until next week sometime. Can't wait!

(But, gonna needs the temps and humidity to drop a bunch for me to get my ATGATT riding togs on. (It's been in the 90s and high humidity here for the past week or more. Can barely breathe outside.)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
(But, gonna needs the temps and humidity to drop a bunch for me to get my ATGATT riding togs on. (It's been in the 90s and high humidity here for the past week or more. Can barely breathe outside.)
Your weather sounds like ours! Except we've got a relative humidity of around 9%. But we compensate for that by having lots of smoke and ozone. We're predicted to get a brake over the weekend when we've got a good chance for rain Saturday-Monday. I've got my fingers and toes crossed. :)

OP
OP
WingMan71
Your weather sounds like ours! Except we've got a relative humidity of around 9%. But we compensate for that by having lots of smoke and ozone. We're predicted to get a brake over the weekend when we've got a good chance for rain Saturday-Monday. I've got my fingers and toes crossed. :)
Hey Phil, you've been fixing brakes too long. You fix brakes, you get a break! :rofl1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I feel like such a wimp with only 25,000 miles on the clock. Tomorrow in church I will pray that the Lord does not hit me with more health surprises. Monday I will be discharged from home care. Will see how long I can ride without pain.

OP
OP
WingMan71
I feel like such a wimp with only 25,000 miles on the clock. Tomorrow in church I will pray that the Lord does not hit me with more health surprises. Monday I will be discharged from home care. Will see how long I can ride without pain.
Hello Bear. Sorry to hear about your health issues. (I'll add you to my prayer list for a quick return to better health.)

I'm 72 now and so far blessed with pretty good health. I do work at it, but as my wife said to me yesterday: "It's hard to stay in shape when things keep falling apart!" I think I need to put that on some posters and sell them!

Get well, keep riding, and be safe.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
, I got beat up pretty good in Vietnam--and it seems to be catching up to me--four major surgeries in the past two years. Thanks for the prayers.

I noticed that you specialize in the restoration of Japanese bikes. I have a 1981 Yamaha XS 650. The only thing that keeps it from running is that I cannot find the four bolts that hold on the starter motor. Nobody seems to have them. Do you have an idea where I can look? The manual just says "bolt" and gives no length.

OP
OP
WingMan71
, I got beat up pretty good in Vietnam--and it seems to be catching up to me--four major surgeries in the past two years. Thanks for the prayers.

I noticed that you specialize in the restoration of Japanese bikes. I have a 1981 Yamaha XS 650. The only thing that keeps it from running is that I cannot find the four bolts that hold on the starter motor. Nobody seems to have them. Do you have an idea where I can look? The manual just says "bolt" and gives no length.
I'm a Vietnam vet too. (U.S. Navy SWO 1967 to 1976.) Was offshore shipboard floating around in the official combat zone but never in armed combat.

Will send you a PM sent about the 1981 Yamaha XS650 starter motor bolts.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hey, friend, with everything you've been through, you don't need to feel like a wimp!

Top Bottom