Nice Fall Ride on the Colorado Plains

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Another nice ride, although not quite as twisty or scenic as last week's. Today I was by myself. I went north on back roads and then east to the little speed-trap town of Ault, where I got onto US-85, the Centennial Highway. After Ault, 85 passes through the even smaller burgs of Pierce and Nunn (motto: "Watch Nunn Grow" -- I've been watching for 30 years and it's finally growing!). From there, you ride over some hills and through some draws on the west side of the Pawnee National Grasslands. When I entered Wyoming and was about 6 miles south of Cheyenne, I turned east on the Chalk Bluffs Road. I thought I'd ridden a motorcycle east on this road, but I must not have. After about 8 miles, it turned into a washboarded gravel road and that lasted about 12 miles. The best thing about the gravel portion was that there wasn't a lot of traffic. The gravel Chalk Bluff Road finally joined WY-138, and became the paved Chalk Bluff Road. Chalk Bluff is mentioned (although I think with a different name in James Michener's novel Centennial. Years ago, I was at a Rotary meeting in Loveland, when a professor from the University of Northern Colorado (located here in Greeley, BTW), gave a program on the geography of Centennial. I wish I could remember it! I think the native American people had a ceremonial use for the chalk.

After getting back on pavement, I rode past the little Wyoming town of Carpenter and through the tiny, dying Colorado town of Hereford taking a newly built road down to Grover. Grover's not very big, but it is fairly stable. Between the oilfield activity and a nearby huge wind turbine installation, Grover seems to have a good school and a few businesses. The Grover Market isn't large, but was very well-stocked and reasonably priced, plus they had a little restaurant with a good short-order cook. I blew my diet all to pieces and had an outstanding green chili burger and a couple cups of freshly brewed coffee before getting back on the road. I went south past the little (and nearly dead) town of Keota. Keota is the gateway to Pawnee Buttes, another site Michener used in Centennial and is not-too-widely-known as the hometown of a man who started as a track-maintenance worker and rose through the ranks to become President of the Union Pacific Railroad. You can tell he was dedicated to the UP's profit/loss statement because one of his actions was closing down the line that ran between Sterling, New Raymer, Keota, and Cheyenne.

From Keota, it was south back to CO-14, then west to Briggsdale, and onto CO-392 back to the north edge of Greeley. Another 160 mile ride, getting me up to 4,212 for the year.

2019-11-15 14.28.15.jpg
Pawnee Grasslands east of US-85

2019-11-15 15.00.25.jpg
Chalk Cliffs

2019-11-15 15.21.44.jpg
Pump Jack between Hereford and Grover

2019-11-15 16.37.20.jpg
Wind Farm east of Grover -- this stretches along this ridge for about 50 miles!

2019-11-15 16.51.01.jpg
Looking west toward Front Range from CO-380 between Grover and Hereford.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
November riding in Colorado is few and far between, glad you had a nice trip

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It varies from November to November, Woodaddict. Actually, it varies from winter to winter. Back in the days when my 2-wheel fix required bicycles, I had winters when I couldn't ride from early November to late March, and winters when I rode some every month. After I started riding motorcycles, I had one year when I rode all but 6 days from October to March and then couldn't ride any in March. We'll see what we see in the winter of '19-'20. :cool:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sounds like an enjoyable ride and sounds like Dudley is back to his old self.

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for sharing Phil. Good to see you back out there and that Dudley is still working great.

I don't think I have been on the roads you specified, but have been on highway 71 in that area. Came back from Spearfish one year by following 71 South.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
71 is a good road to ride. I've ridden all of it there is in Colorado and in Nebraska.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Sounds like a nice ride. I love the pictures, but your narratives put me in the seat. :)

Top Bottom