No fuel control valve?

Mattb

I can't locate the fuel control valve to switch to reserve and I'm guessing that means there isn't one.

How do we access the .9 GAL reserve fuel?

Sorry for such a silly question. I'm obviously an NT-NOOB. :)

elizilla

There's no reserve petcock. The "reserve" is just the last gallon in the tank, that is used when the fuel gauge has dropped to the red zone.

OP
OP

Mattb

There's no reserve petcock. The "reserve" is just the last gallon in the tank, that is used when the fuel gauge has dropped to the red zone.
Thank you. That's what I suspected.

I noticed that the needle drops more quickly for the last quarter than the prior 3.

That was my 1st tank of fuel. I'm on #2 now and I'm certain I'll get used to it.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Ditto what Katherine said. Reserve is last gallon. When the fuel needle gets to the bottom, there is about a gallon left. Gauge behavior is not that accurate until the end is reached. On mine, the gauge does not move from full for the first 80 miles or so. Then it drops like a stone until the last 1/8th is reached. I use the Trip A odometer to monitor fuel use by range and refuel between 180 and 200 miles (usually). I am used to this as my first bike did not have a fuel gauge.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
That's good information. Rick, How accurate is the MPG function? I am just beginning to use all that digital stuff.

elizilla

The dashboard average mpg is very optimistic.

I have a bit over 18,000 miles on the bike and I have tracked the mileage religiously ever since new. Current lifetime average is 51mpg, that's calculated from real fuel purchase numbers. But the mileage meter on the bike said I was averaging around 57mpg last time I checked.

In the summer, while doing all-day type rides in the countryside where I run through the tanks faster, I get real mileages in the mid 50s to low 60s. But in winter, or when I take a couple weeks to use up a tank of gas doing all short hops around town, I get real mileages in the mid-40s.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
That's good information. Rick, How accurate is the MPG function? I am just beginning to use all that digital stuff.
After 5000 miles, my readout says 57.1 mpg. My actual mpg is 53.0. The readout is a little optimistic, but great mileage any way you look at it. The longest I've gone on a tank of gas before filling up was 242 miles (I mis-judged how far the next station was).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Seems to me that none of the fuel injection bikes have a reserve petcock. I'm guessing that's because the injection system can't handle bubbles. Carburetor-fed bikes can run the carbs dry and then pick up a load of fuel and start running fine when you switch.

Top Bottom