No headlights, no low beam, no high beam, no lights

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
FYI... as a safety concern, be VERY careful using WD-40 around electronics as it is highly flammable.

All you need is a spark and you'll have fire.

A PTFE (Teflon) based fluid would actually do a better job displacing water and dirt (after using contact cleaner).

I worked in a couple of bicycle shops and WD-40 was never allowed in either shop.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
WD-40 is good for a limited number of applications. It leaves behind a lubricating 'mess' that works as long as it is not in a dirty environment. I use as it's name suggests, as a Water Displacing agent, or as a penetrating lubricant. And only where it can be wiped off or is in a 'clean' environment.

I NEVER use it on guns. A gunsmith friend calls WD-40 his 'gold mine'. He has had more work on guns due to use of WD-40 than any other reason. It really gums up triggers and especially revolvers.

Get the lube for the purpose you have. Use contact cleaner for switches (be careful of paint as some can destroy it).

CommuterNT

Had the same problem. It turned out to be my starter switch at 7800 miles. The service tech told me this is common in Honda's. The contacts just needed to be cleaned and to keep an eye on it every so often. I do ride year round in wet conditions very often.

I realized how importat that little bulb in the headlight housing is. It may be dim and not light the road in front of you but does give you some visability to be seen by others if you headlights do go out.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Try "Corrosion Block" instead of WD-40. Available in Marine stores everywhere. Designed for contacts in the marine environment. They make little spray cans like WD-40 as well. Been using it for years. Saved a TV that got doused by a wave.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
First answer should be starter button... Flip it a few times. No headlights, low or high will work if it is not making contact. If this is dicussed in other posts forgive me. That is likely the culprit.

DJ

Bike
Bonneville T120
Time to revive this tread. Last evening I went to meet my wife when she got off work. She rode her scooter in so I just thought I'd accompany her home, an excuse to ride the NT. I notice I had no head lights. However, when I started the bike again to come home, the lights came on briefly then went out. I planned to take it in to Bangor Motor Sports in the morning to see what they thought. When I fired up the bike this morning, no lights. I went to work for a short while. When I started the NT to go to BMS, I had lights and they stayed on for quiet some time. Then I switched between high and low beams and the lights went out so I suspect is has something to do with that switch.
I dropped it off and came home, checked the forum and found this thread, that I had forgotten about.
I see the switch for the high and low beams was the culprit for DOMINIO.
I'll keep you posted.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I got the bike back today. It wasn't the high beam/low beam switch after all. It was a sticky starter switch. I guess that the light go off when you start the bike so all the power can be directed to the starter. My starter switch was sticky, thus the lights were off, or on, intermittently.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Seems like that's the most common cause of that problem, doesn't it?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
old thread, but info is here. @191,050 miles had to replace starter / kill switch housing. lights only work about 20% each time I start it. also high / low beam is failing to work. so I replaced both right and left housings with the leads that plug in on left side connector group at tank. Honda didn't make a small switch to replace inside of housings, have to buy whole thing. I have sprayed contact cleaner before and currently. if I didn't have my extra dual 900 lumen LED driving lights to help me when switch didn't turn on, I would have to leave bike at home.
it was tough to get throttle cable off / on , but patience and trial and error got new one installed. now ready to take it to 200K

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I had this same problem. Start bike, no headlight, low or high beam. Checked fuses, cleaned contacts in starter button, no love. turned out that the post on the starter switch that attaches to the headlights had broken off. Soldered it back on and not a problem since.

Top Bottom