No, it's not the "new NT" but I'm interested in one of the offshoots

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

Honda may soon introduce a mid-size Africa Twin, with an engine derived from the NC-series. Looking at the photo, the cylinder inclination doesn't appear as steep as on my NC700X so they've had to redo the crankcase. I'm not interested in the ADV 800 version but the idea of a normal "roadster" or even "sport bike" does appeal to me.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It looks like it is in the works, but the question remains, will we get it here in the US? BTW, the cylinder inclination looks about the same to me. Perhaps its the camera angle?

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
On my NC, the cylinder head is facing clearly to the front so I stand in front of the bike with bike on my lift - not above it - to do a valve adjustment. And with the cyl head cover removed, I'm looking directly at the rocker arms.

They could have used most of the NC-derived innards and made new crankcases & cylinders to create a more upright engine or even made all-new parts?.

Last edited:
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
The dual disk brakes would be nice. The brakes are a little weak on my NC700.

I really don't see a big benefit of this potential Africa Twin when compared to my current NC. The NC does highway speeds with ease and it is more than fine on the gravel roads in rural Idaho too. I suspect my 70 year old age restricts my "adventure" riding to tamer gravel roads.

Last edited:
Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I've owned a NC700 DCT. It was under powered and a poor performer off the hard pack. I have an Africa Twin DCT now. It has decent horsepower and is a capable adventure bike but a handful for my declining 66 year old self. I think an Africa Twin 800 DCT would check off most boxes for me.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
That engine looks suspiciously like the one in my CB500X. VERY similar upright cylinders, etc. It doesn’t look like the laid down NC700/750.

Although I really like my bike, an improved ADV 500 (600?) model with more power, larger spoked wheels, etc would be interesting.

Honda could EASILY increase the power output to 60+ hp on this modern 500 cc engine. When engineered, it was held back to 47 hp to specifically meet the tiered A2 license in Europe.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
On my NC, the cylinder head is facing clearly to the front so I stand in front of the bike with bike on my lift - not above it - to do a valve adjustment. And with the cyl head cover removed, I'm looking directly at the rocker arms.

They could have used most of the NC-derived innards and made new crankcases & cylinders to create a more upright engine or even made all-new parts?.
Yeah, on second look the rocker cover is squarely under the tank isn't it? On the NC the rocker cover is easily removeable without disturbing the tank.... not a bad feature IMHO.

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's good & bad. With the upright cylinder, the radiator doesn't have to be disturbed. With the laydown cylinders, the radiator has to be disconnected but fortunately intervals between adj are long because the engine mostly runs at low RPM.

As Yoda mentioned - the appearance of the engine is closer to the CB500 although DCT is not available in the 500. My NC700X only has a single exhaust and single inlet. The intake & exhaust manifolds are essentially cast with the head and the Brits would call them bifurticated and it's contrary to creating high RPM/high power output. The prototype Africa Twin has twin pipes and probably twin inlet to allow it to produce more power.

And of course the big question is when and if it's released, will it come to the US and for how many dollars?

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Good conversation here folks. I like the looks and the info on the new Honda however, like Tosh, I don't know if I'm ready for the ADV version. Though if nothing else was available if I ever give up on my NT, which I don't think will ever happen, I'd definitely keep this one in mind.

Thanks for the info DirtFlier.

I’ve noticed quite a few new left over 2017 Africa Twins for sale and some used ones as well. From what I’ve read the engine is nice and owners seem to like them. The AT is a cool looking bike that seems capable enough. Hope there will better days for all of us soon so Honda can develop and sell many machines with the power plant.

4868D05B-F827-45B3-B4BF-373A816A059E.jpeg86F6BF4D-7528-43E9-8B4D-6EC70D031C5B.jpeg

Good looking bike..I would love to have it, but it would be in addition to my NT..I need the extra wind protection, the luggage capacity, the shaft drive, the cast tubeless tires / wheels..and the ease which it eats up the miles when travelling..

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
That's just it. It's an entirely different sector of the market, they're aiming at.

The AT, on the other hand...IMHO, it's going after the BMW F GS market. Trying one better - which shouldn't be hard, since BMWs these days are prone to electrical gremlins. From what I've read, the ATs are well-designed, with some interesting features - such as a 90-degree firing order, to give the engine a V-twin burble and sensation...but what it is, is an entry at the high end of the Adventure field.

But...I guess, Honda's marketing people saw BMW move AWAY from shafts with no sales consequence...
Its not a 90 degree motor but 270 degrees and in this style of motorcycle the 270 degree firing order is not done to make it sound like a V-twin. Triumph and af few others do have a 270 degree firing order on some of their cruiser type twins for the sound purpose however.

The quote below is from Honda's web page for the Africa Twin

"Most twins use a 180-degree crank. By phasing the Africa Twin's at 270 degrees, you get a unique power delivery that’s easy to modulate, especially in terrain where traction is challenging."

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm still waiting for some major manufacturer to go after the huge market in bikes for people with short legs! :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm still waiting for some major manufacturer to go after the huge market in bikes for people with short legs! :)
HD makes 'em Phil! They is called cruisers. You gets yer choice of a Fat Low Bob, or a Low Fat Bob, or a 48 Low, or a 48 Slim or a 48 Grande'. You gets yer choice of engines in the 88, 98 or 108 Evolution, Revolution or Devolution, and during the month of May they are throwing in a paisley doo-rag, a genuine artificial gold hoop earring and a free years subscription to the Pirate Picayune Press, the monthly newsletter. You can sit on one of these babies flat footed with your knees bent... ummmm yer knees still bend, don't they?

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with you Phil since I'm a towering 5'6". :-(

If the manufacturers just produced a couple of "standards" they would be lower than the whole string of pseudo-adventure bikes now on the market.

MikeSim - I read an online report that the CEO of "The Motor Company" said they're going back to what they do best in the way of product. Does that mean the Pan American Adv bike and the Elec bike are history? I personally didn't think either of those had a chance because of H-Ds long history of building cruisers and Road Kings.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I agree with you Phil since I'm a towering 5'6". :-(

If the manufacturers just produced a couple of "standards" they would be lower than the whole string of pseudo-adventure bikes now on the market.

MikeSim - I read an online report that the CEO of "The Motor Company" said they're going back to what they do best in the way of product. Does that mean the Pan American Adv bike and the Elec bike are history? I personally didn't think either of those had a chance because of H-Ds long history of building cruisers and Road Kings.
Tosh, I read that as well. I don't know if their new bikes are history as you surmise, but if they are that tells me that they weren't very confident of their success in the marketplace in the first place. The LiveWire IMHO was DOA with an eye watering $30K entry fee.... What were they thinking? The Pan Am, if done well and priced competitively still stands a chance in the marketplace.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd like a "standard" with a fairing, panniers, and shaft drive, please.

One day when I was at the Harley/Honda shop picking up my bike, I decided to sit on one of the Fat Low Bob Revolutions and it was so heavy and leaning so far that I couldn't pick it up

Top Bottom