No more Karate Kick?!?!?

Bike
2010 Red NT700
So I am back from my trip around eastern AZ. It was a good trip.
However, I am going to have to do a total re-think of how I pack my bike for long trips. My usual M.O. is to pack as much as I can in the panniers and topbox, then throw a MotoCentric bag on the pillion seat.
Short of using the center stand at every stop, which is not always feasible, I have to employ the 'karate Kick to get on. Then I have to drag my right boot across the seat and hop backwards to get off.
The Kick to get on puts all your weight on the left knee, while doing a twisting motion, which is not good. The hopping or twisting the left foot to drag the right leg off the seat is bad too. My left knee is a disaster after last week. I think I m going to get over it but I can't continue to endure the repeated insults to my knee.
I experimented with some waterproof saddle bags but they made the bike far too wide to throw a leg over. I am 5'6" with short legs and not very flexible. and overweight.

SO...I have thought of three options

1: Pack MUCH more lightly than I am accustomed to, using only the panniers and top box.

2: Remove the top box and install a strong cutting board that can handle a much bigger piece of luggage and leave the pillion vacant. ( I saw an ADV guy do this who was riding across South America and his expensive store-bought luggage kept failing)

3: Install a rack on top of the top box and strap small piece of luggage to that. But will it be too high up in the wind/make me even more top heavy?

I am unwilling to wear a back pack

HELP!!!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
How much stuff do you bring?

If you aren't camping, there's no reason to have anything on the rear seat.

If you are camping, you can definitely loose the topbox and get anything you need for camping in a bag on the rear rack far enough to clear your foot when mounting the bike.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
My rain gear takes the whole right pannier. My CPAP takes the whole left, then Pack aq laptop and things like different types of gloves, sneakers etc in the top box. This leaves no room for clean clothes

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just wear dirty clothes. :p

Seriously, I almost always take too many clothes. I'm getting to the point that if I'm ever able to take a long trip again, I'll just take my REI nylon pants with the zip-off legs, 4-5 pair of underwear and socks, and probably two-three t-shirts. I'll wear my heated Warm'n'Safe jacket if it's cold and my base layer of LDComfort if it's hot or cold. On my 80-day, 21K Epic Ride in '13, I rode in temps from about 25F to 113F and I was always comfortable. The secret with LDComfort gear in heat when wearing an Aerostitch 1-piece suit is to close all the vents, then pour water up your sleeves so that your arms are wet, pour water on your chest, and then regulate your temperature by opening or closing the zipper on your chest.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just wear dirty clothes. :p

Seriously, I almost always take too many clothes. I'm getting to the point that if I'm ever able to take a long trip again, I'll just take my REI nylon pants with the zip-off legs, 4-5 pair of underwear and socks, and probably two-three t-shirts. I'll wear my heated Warm'n'Safe jacket if it's cold and my base layer of LDComfort if it's hot or cold. On my 80-day, 21K Epic Ride in '13, I rode in temps from about 25F to 113F and I was always comfortable. The secret with LDComfort gear in heat when wearing an Aerostitch 1-piece suit is to close all the vents, then pour water up your sleeves so that your arms are wet, pour water on your chest, and then regulate your temperature by opening or closing the zipper on your chest.
A rule of thumb when travelling with Phil..... keep him downwind!

:rofl1:

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
1: Pack MUCH more lightly than I am accustomed to, using only the panniers and top box.
This...
We'd a 3 weeks trip (Norway and such)...
Me with my Bagster tank-bag and no top-case, GF on her NT with her small tank-bag and the top-case (packed lightly) in place...
We both (again) carried too much stuff along...
Just learn to use the “cowboy mount”. Much easier mounting and dismounting.
And wear down the kick-stand mount in the process...
What to do on soft ground?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
And wear down the kick-stand mount in the process...
What to do on soft ground?
1. Be careful where you stop and park.
2. I welded a bigger foot on my side stand.
3. Leave the transmission in 1st gear and/or grab the front brake lever so you don’t roll the bike off the side stand.
4. Put minimal stress on the sidestand by getting your COG over the bike or mount from the right side.

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
Replace the pillion bag with a backpack. You'll need to carry it with you off the bike, but it gives you more seat to work with.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hmmmmmm..... gonna have to try that.... it's much for graceful than what I have been doing...

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am 6 ft one and I feel your pain. I have a fake sheep skin seat cover over my entire seat so I dont have to be afraid of kicking it but Jim probably has the best answer. I like my tank bags but I camp and I need the soft luggage. I wear my rain gear and carry minimul old clothes that I throw away as I go. I always use big foots on the side stands. I do pack lighter now but the on and off issue is still there. I do keep myself flexable due to my ranch work but at the end of the day, as we age, I think Jim has the best option and it has to be practiced.
Dont pack like my brother
d.jpg
Low seat height helps...but if you camp, you gonna kick....
a abike.jpg

Top Bottom