No Start No Nothing

Bradkap

The starter is not cranking at all, no power comes on at all. Checked kill switch checked to make sure not in gear or stand down, battery has charge.

Any thoughts ? Blown fuse ?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Possibly a blown fuse, or a loose connector to the ignition switch or fuse blocks. If it's a fuse you need to find out why it blew. An often overlooked item is the ground cable connection.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
+ 1 Rich. Bradcap, do you get the startup gauge check? If not there must be a main fuse in the fuse block that has blown or the connector from the ing. switch is not maing a good connection.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's pretty rare for the main fuse to blow. I'd clean & retighten battery cables at the battery. Also check, where the negative cable is grounded for tightness.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Very good advise from all responders, one question for you; have you done any previous maintenance / electrical instalations or disassembly of tupperware that could have caused a wiring connection to either be pulled apart , or grounded out?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I actually had the ignition contact on my '75 Gold Wing wear out. But it was several years old at the time, and I haven't had that happen on any other bike. But you might try to eliminate that possibility early.

Do you have access to a wiring diagram?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would first check the main fuse and connections at the battery and ground. Then cycle the key switch a few times to see if the startup cycle occurs. If it does not I would then measure at the main fuse box with a volt meter or test light. With the key to the ON position there should be power to the fuses. If no power there trace the circuit point to point.
Don't overlook the ground connections. No ground = no power.

Good luck,
Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
How do you "know" the battery is charged? Not being a smart-***, but a lot of times our assumptions can lead to wrong diagnostic procedure.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I have had batteries fail from one moment to the next. Now it works , now it don't. No warning. Motorcycles batteries are so small compared to cars that they will fail in an instant. Always troubleshoot with a Known good power supply. My Jeep Wrangler's battery failed just like that. One moment it work the next moment nothing, I mean nothing, not even the dash idiot lights. I have had numerous motorcycle batteries fail like that over the years. Like John says, Take battery and have it load tested and Start with a fully charged good battery.

Last edited:
There is a complete troubleshooting diagram in the NT service manual for the starter motor. It starts with the fuse, then battery, starter relay, starter motor, relay coils ground lines inspection, starter relay voltage inspection, starter relay switch continuity inspection, clutch switch inspection, and sidestand switch inspection with a lot of yes and no check points and other side steps. See if your dealer can let you look at one.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One minor but sometimes significant point is what is known as "surface voltage." A battery can show 12+ volts
when tested with a voltmeter but have absolutely NO power to do anything. The other point as Chuck mentioned,
is that ALL charging system checks must be done with a FULLY charged battery. Most of the small, battery
chargers can only maintain a strong battery but NOT revive one that is completely dead.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Doesn't anyone know how to "bump" start-----run along side,jump on pop clutch in 2nd or third gear? Can work.
Yes, but with Electronic fuel injection and electric fuel pump, it can be difficult. If battery voltage is too low, won't be able to run fuel pump, won't be able to pressurize fuel rail, won't be able to inject fuel into cylinder. Trust me, trying to bump start my ST is /was a pain in the butt. The NT might be a bit easer to push, only becouse it is 200lbs lighter.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Can work.

John, don't think it will on the NT. I had a nearly dead battery (would only click the starting relay about twice and then wouldn't even do that) combined with a long block and a fairly good downhill. I tried the rolling start thing in 2nd and never got even one cylinder firing. I'm guessing that there has to be some minimal voltage to run the fuel pump/injection system.

Steveo

I've bump started a few bikes with fuel injection, if you have any battery power at all just pull the headlight fuse to allow the maximum amount of electricity to operate the fuel system. Just a thought.

Top Bottom