Noise Cancelling Earbud Recommendations?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have not tried the expensive ones, but, have tried a number of the 'inexpensive" ones (if you consider $150 inexpensive ;) ), including Sony and Bose. They don't work much at all, high or low freq. (note: I tried these on the bike as well as on airlines, like sitting at the back of an MD88 right next to the engine)

My brother likes the Etymotics (don't know which ones) but they are not really noise cancelling, just attenuators.

The only people I know of who have been happy with their in-ear sound are the ones who have had professional ear plugs made with the sound system built in. They spent between $300 and $500 for them.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you don't need high quality music then a bluetooth headset is the way to g?. Think of it as listening to the radio in your car with the windows down.

I had an early Scala, the Sena and the current UClear. All are good for volume and can be heard with earplugs in. I've had the Scala and Sena in severe thunderstorms and neither had a problem The UClear has been in some rain, but, not a strangler. They are what I would call water resistant, not waterproof, ie, they will survive rain, but, not being submerged. If picking for intercomm then I'd go with the Sena SMH-10. I like the volume control on it best.

If cost is not an object then you might look at the Interphone product. I understand they have an optional speaker set that is better for music.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
99% of the time I listen to music on my BT. 1% of the time it is either phone calls or rider to rider comm.

I use my GPS for traffic reports as it is more accurate than what I get on the radio.

The reason I did not like the Sena 20 is the way they made the volume knob. It is now recessed and a bit more difficult to use with gloves. They redesigned it so the helmet would fit in top and side boxes easier (the big knob on the 10 sitcks out a lot more, which is why it is so easy to use). It is nicer to be able to connect to the phone and GPS separately but I don't use a GPS with BT so it would not matter to me. Another plus for the 20 is it comes with an FM radio, which can be nice when in town. Some have reported issues with the comm side, but, I don't have any experience with that.

FWIW, if your riding buddies don't have the same mfg headset you will be communicating over the BT, not the long range comm system (except for the Interphone, which has some how managed to adapt to other comm schemes).

Just to get back to Daboo's original question about noise cancelling earbuds, I have done a number of posts recommending the Audio Techica ANC23. No one on the forum has ever replied, so I presume I am pretty much the only NT member who uses these. But at about $50 with free shipping, these are not a big investment. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else, positive or negative, on these earbuds. Here is what I posted recently during the discussion of helmets and windshields:

I have excellent results using Audio Technica ATH ANC23 "Quiet Point" noise cancelling earbuds. I use the stock non-foam earpieces: they go in the ear easily and stay put. Just be sure to weasel them out before removing helmet. I put the noise cancelling gizmo in my jacket pocket. Very effective at cancelling most ambient noises including engine noises, better than any earplugs I have ever used, but you still do get some wind noise. I don't connect it to any MP3 player; I just use it by itself. If a local constable sees the wires coming out from under my helmet and pulls me over, I hope he'll accept my explanation that I am not listening to music or masking sound; just trying for a quieter ride. I think you can get the ANC23 for about $50 from Amazon. It may be worth a try.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I assume it is "noise cancelling" by making its own white noise?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Noise-canceling isn't the same as white noise. White noise is random distribution of noise across the audio spectrum and sounds like a hiss or "sh." Noise-canceling technology samples the ambient noise and emits a sound that attempts to be exactly out of phase with the sound you'd be hearing. So it's the same frequency and amplitude but just 180-degrees out of phase. I've used noise-canceling headphones in small planes and they're amazing. I don't know, but would assume that in a bulkier headphone situation, the sample of the background noise is taken in the headphone itself. With the earbud analyzer/transmitter in a jacket pocket, it wouldn't be getting exactly the same information and probably wouldn't be quite as effective.

I'm tempted to try some of the ones Chris has.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Those are some of the laws that are just stupid. I can wear earplugs, but, headphones are illegal.

And I can drive a car that is advertised to block out all road noises, but, headphones are illegal cause blocking out the noise is dangerous.

FWIW, I don't think you have to worry about insurance payout.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Might be drumming up and old post here, but I just don't like ride without my Bose noise canceling headphones. Most trips I can listen to audiobooks at 1/4 volume. I wear them under a Schuberth C3 helmet. When I purchased the helmet, the shop accually indented the inside of styrofoam so the earbuds didn't push uncomfortably into my head. They also work great for navigation off your phone.

I feel they are safer than ear plugs (too much quiet) and no earplugs but blue tooth helmet speakers (volume louder than wind to hear). Noise cancelling doesn't stop all the noise any sharp horns and you can still hear engines reving up. And your eyes still need to be your main safety accessory. But digressing, using noise cancelling headphones for navigation is way safer than looking down at a screen. The trick is to memorise what exit street to be looking for as you travel and find it with your eyes. Get use to not looking down at the screen. Listen and look.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I've never found anything I can understand at highway speeds on any bike. I have custom molded earphones and the noise always overcomes the audio. I do have a hearing disability and it shows up mostly as auditory perception, which means I can't hear speech when there is other sound. I can't understand speakers at drive-up windows, gymnasiums, most PA systems, lyrics to songs, or movies. I can't hear birds, crickets, or microwave beepers. My "word recognition" is down to about 50%. My audiogram, which indicates a profound high frequency hearing loss, is basically unchanged for about the last 50 years. So the recent decline in speech recognition is more in my brain than ears. Simply stated, my brain has not heard those high frequencies for so long it no longer knows what they are.

So, for you folks who can discriminate between the various motorcycle audio systems, be appreciative. On the positive side, at least I don't have to worry about putting on one more thing and getting it connected to the right thing. I have all I can do to remember my gloves and sunglasses. OH, where's my motorcycle key????

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have a pair of Etymotics that I paid $65 for. Noise cancelling music buds. When I correctly insert them, I hear ONLY music...as if the music is in my brain and not coming from a bud.

The only way I can see in-helmet speakers being enjoyable is if you are in the cone of silence a Gold Wing might provide

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've realized that I'd just as soon ride with nothing making sound in my helmet. I wear the orange foam earplugs that reduce the decibel level by 33db. They have never been uncomfortable to me and I think they're saving what's left of my hearing. I bought new hearing aids in December after I lost one of my old ones. I had had them since around Christmas of 2010. I had looked at new ones a year ago and the improvement was negligible, but there's been a big change in the last year in what hearing aids can do. These new ones are a huge improvement. I'm not entirely sure that they're worth $6,000, but since I've got income from my part-time work as a Hospice chaplain, I can afford them

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My four year old internal hearing aids have built in noise cancelling which works very well even with wind noise. They also have a button I can tap to cut the volume 40%...I call it the spouse adjustment or nag button. Next time around I'm going to add the BlueTooth option so I can connect to my cellphone and other electronics. I wasn't sure I'd wear the darn things so I didn't want to load up the cost on this set.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I've realized that I'd just as soon ride with nothing making sound in my helmet. I wear the orange foam earplugs that reduce the decibel level by 33db. They have never been uncomfortable to me and I think they're saving what's left of my hearing. I bought new hearing aids in December after I lost one of my old ones. I had had them since around Christmas of 2010. I had looked at new ones a year ago and the improvement was negligible, but there's been a big change in the last year in what hearing aids can do. These new ones are a huge improvement. I'm not entirely sure that they're worth $6,000, but since I've got income from my part-time work as a Hospice chaplain, I can afford them
Phil
I was doing some work in Greely and Longmont last month. I'm sorry I didnt try to get in touch. If I get back up there I'll reach out.
Clay

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I always ride with foam earplugs. I have a SENA headset mounted on the helmet that is blue toothed to my phone. The SENA speakers are velcrowed to inside my helmet. The SENA gives me a lot of options. Before I went wireless I had trouble with the earbuds falling out of my ears. The SENA has adequate volume so I can hear while wearing the foam ear plugs.

I wear ear protection when riding and I do have a helmet radio so I can chat with my wife who is riding behind me - but at speed it is difficult to hear the helmet speaker over the wind noise with the foam earplugs in.

I looked at the higher cost options listed above - but I found that the Elgin ear plugs were less than $20 and I gave them a try. I have only used them while mowing so far, and they are as effective as any other earplug at blocking out the noise and the sound quality is pretty good. I did find that they stick out of my ear a bit too far when I put my helmet on and they were uncomfortable as the helmet was trying to push them into my ear......it is possible to use a pair of scissors and cut away a bit of the silicone to reduce the length of the plug, and that solved the problem for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruckus-Earplug-Earbuds-Reduction-Headphones/dp/B078YFYJFT#customerReviews

Attachments

Top Bottom