Now I understand why you guys have gone to higher windscreens!

Owned my NT since 2010, but seldom really ridden it on super long rides. Today, on a longish ride for me, on boring slab @ 80mph, I noticed that when I duck down just slightly, with stock screen in the highest position, noise is essentially eliminated - so quiet! If I sit normally, I'm looking "over" to the top of the windscreen - and there's quite a bit of noise, though not much buffeting to the helmet.

I don't like the look of the NT with a super high screen -but the comfort and quietness might be worth it!

What are your experiences with the higher screen - I'd hate for it to ruin my "all the way down" experience, when I get to pretend I'm riding a sportbike. It's one of my favorite features of the NT - the sort of dual personality by virtue of the adjustable wind screen.

Let me know your thoughts!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Reality? If you want the bike to look like a sport bike, then no, it won't. Sport bikes have no windshields to speak of.

A +2" would be a good compromise, but, depending on your height it might not be enough to give you what you want.

I don't like the angle of the screen on the top two settings, so I got a +6 and usually leave it on the middle position. In the lowest position it is still quite high, but, the angle is much more pleasing (at least to me).

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
David, That's the beauty of an adjustable windscreen. On long trips, it is adjusted for the least amount of wind buffeting. In the rain, I want the airstream directed to blow the rain off my visor. The Honda windscreen is ok--the CeeBailey is better, in my opinion.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got the CeeBailiey +4" and I'm not very tall (5'8" w/ 29" inseam). I usually ride with the screen in the first notch down from the top. With it there, I can look through the screen without having to bend much -- just my normal slight slouch; but I can also sit up just a bit and easily look over it.

In hard rain, I'll usually push it down one notch to get more wind on the face shield. It's a bit wider than the stock screen too and that gives me a pocket even when the prevailing crosswinds are howling.

You may notice that the noise will go away if you close your top vent(s) but then so does your cool air. Some helmets are very good at being silent in the winter only to give you a nasty noise surprise when you open the top vent in summer. My RF1000 is almost unusable with my +2CeeBailey even in highest mount position unless the top vent is closed. Then it is super quiet. My Qwest does the same thing only is far less noisey. Lately learned that if I tilt the Qwest forward where it is on my eyebrows the noise disappears. Probably just the vent getting out of the turbulent airstream.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Interesting. My RF1000 makes no difference if vents are open or not. But, if I put a piece of tape across the top edge of the visor most of the noise goes away (it is relatively quiet even without the tape).

I used to look through the CalSci +5.5" shield to get smoother flow (Position #4). The CB +6 I can leave in the middle position and look over it and still be in clean air. Kinda disproves the CalSci "smooth air" claim about 'flip' shields.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I am 6'1" and I have made no mods to the bar position, seat, or pegs and I put on the Cee Baily +4. I usually ride with it two down from the top. With the flip in the shield, I find that even at the same height as the stock windshield fully raised, the wind noise and clean air pocket is there because of the flip. In rain, I raise it all the way and when I'm feeling sporty, I drop it down for minimal drag. For me, the +2 was a minimal gain for the investment and the +6 would have made me feel like a captain of a sailboat, for what it's worth.
Len

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I'm with Aaron...Pledge and me are buddies. I carry the cloth wipes in a disposable pack for the wind and face shields.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I used to use the dynamically adjustable windshield on my ST1300 when fielding incoming phone calls. Run it up to the top when the phone rang and then answered. Ran it down when done. Of course, I can't do that with the NT. Then again, I currently don't field calls and being more or less retired, rarely get them anyway while riding. I let voice mail catch them.

Because a large percentage of the time I'm riding it's in the rain, I prefer to normally look over the windshield for the most part and live with the noise, mitigated with earplugs.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
David, get another sheet of paper.

BTW, where did you go to high school?

OP
OP
Lol - Phil I'm the son of missionaries to Indonesia so that's where I grew up on the island of Papua New Guinea. Cut my teeth on a Honda gl pro150 - which are plentiful in Asia. Now residing in Arkansas.

I enjoy the forum! Wish I rode more!

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Lol - I grew ul
Hmmm.... is that all you meant to send in your reply?

The reason I ask is because I had a classmate in Texas named David Fields and I haven't known where he's been for about 40 years.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
What Len said. I am 6'2" and I got the CB +4. The range of change is perfect for me. I have always used Rain-X on my cars and bikes but I am not saying Pledge is any better or worse.
Just use something.....

CorpusNT1

My NT came with a tinted wind screen which has made me less than enthused about raising it to its highest position as I feel that I am looking through a glass darkly as it were and don't see as well either close up or in the distance. I wondered if there were any of you who had similar concerns? The pictures I see of your bikes posted here rarely show tinted wind screens and I wondered if you hadn't chosen the tinted windscreen because it limited your visibility.

tawilke46

I wondered if you hadn't chosen the tinted windscreen because it limited your visibility.
That is correct in low light or after dark you would have to be able to look over a dark tint w/s.
I use a light tint +4" Cee Bailey and it works for daylight and night light conditions.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The pictures I see of your bikes posted here rarely show tinted wind screens and I wondered if you hadn't chosen the tinted windscreen because it limited your visibility.
My Cee Bailey +2 is their light grey tint. You can see it in the photos in this thread. Since I look over the windshield it isn't a big issue to me... If I looked through it I'd probably go with clear...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Tinted windshield? Never for me. I rarely look through it, but when I need to I don't want any tint.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
After reading about the Cee Baileys on here I decided to get a +4. After I installed it we had 4 days of rain during which the road test waited. Then after a couple of test rides I didn't like how it functioned. So I cut 3" off the BOTTOM. That allowed me to use the top holes as bottom holes. Now I have a + 1 1/2. And I acutally like the way it turned out. In gusty winds today it worked best down 1 notch from top. The top notch puts the top in my horizontal line of sight. Down 2 notches was better in some conditions. All the way down is good up to 50 mph. At one notch down it is real quiet with my face shield up! (Shoei RF 1000)

It isn't nearly as quiet as the Cee Bailey on my Connie, but it is only half the size. It is very comfortable, and that's why I got the NT in the first place. I'm happy.

Top Bottom