NT 700 Warranty Question

skiper

Shout Out to anyone who could tell me where to e-mail my warranty question and or give their opinion. I bought the bike new / dealer told me there was a 9 month warranty. I think Honda gave a one year. Dealer said warranty started when he bought the bike. Could he be misinformed ? I was thinking recently when my gas gauge wasn't working perfectly - what if I really had one year from Honda. I've read here that Honda won't respond to customers as that is the dealer networks job. Seems like a warranty should start with the buyer taking delivery and not dealer taking it. I will probably call a different Honda and ask - anyone have ideas ?

elizilla

Warranty starts when you buy it. But if your gas gauge issue is that it's not linear, well, they all do that sir.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Warranty starts when buying new for 1 yr. Maybe this dealer is not a true Honda factory dealer? You would have to buy from true Honda dealer to get full 1 yr warranty. That is funny that salesperson said 9 months??!! And has not been titled before? the gas gauge is in a wierd shaped tank, it doesn't function linearally as you think. I can ride 60-80 miles before it comes off full "full tank mark". Then when its at the below "E" and last red mark, if I fill up then, I would still only get 4.2 gal in a 5.2 tank approx. You will have to learn your mile marks of how your MPG is going and know when you can go a little farther on the tank. I mostly run below "E" and fill up around 225 miles on the tank. If you travel nicely......and keep going for a while, you can get more MPG per tank. The most for me on one tank is 280.5 miles, getting about 57MPG, and fill up 4.9 gal, others have gotten more around 300 - 310 per tank. Than is my next goal!!!! :doh1:
:D
There have been some other posts about the gas gauge if you can find them. The gas gauge would only be off if a hard jarring accident or fall had occurred. Then it would probably be totalled

Last edited:
OP
OP

skiper

It's good to hear two people think it should start with buyer not dealer. I bought new. I'll look into it by callng another honda dealer. After sitting three months in a heated garage on a tender I had hard starting followed by some jittery gauge sweeps. Since then the fuel reads about one quarter high upon starting and after some minutes slowly bleeds down to the accurate level. I know about the non linear readout. This seems like some voltage is draining away as you can see it drop ever so slowly. The shop manual says if an ohm meter check and volt check of float mechanism is incorrect then one should replace entire fuel pump. My dealer says diagnosing the problem is not covered under warranty - only cost of part. He is an authorized Honda Dealer. So thanks again - I'll think it over

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I had hard starting followed by some jittery gauge sweeps. Since then the fuel reads about one quarter high upon starting and after some minutes slowly bleeds down to the accurate level...]

Mine always reads a bit higher on initial start-up then drops to its true reading, but not a big deal. Hard starting after a winter's storage can be a fuel problem - put some serious miles on it so you can consume that old gas. If the tach or speedo needles are erratic in movement, it's typically the sign of a weak battery.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As a matter of clarification, the warranty from Honda starts when the vehicle is "put into service". Put into service could be either as a dealer demo, or, as a sale to the new owner. If the dealer told you nine months, it's likely that he put the vehicle into service as a demo three months prior to your purchase. To be certain, call a Honda dealer and give 'em your VIN and ask them what the in service date is. That will tell you when the warranty clock truly started.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It's good to hear two people think it should start with buyer not dealer. I bought new. I'll look into it by callng another honda dealer. After sitting three months in a heated garage on a tender I had hard starting followed by some jittery gauge sweeps. Since then the fuel reads about one quarter high upon starting and after some minutes slowly bleeds down to the accurate level. I know about the non linear readout. This seems like some voltage is draining away as you can see it drop ever so slowly. The shop manual says if an ohm meter check and volt check of float mechanism is incorrect then one should replace entire fuel pump. My dealer says diagnosing the problem is not covered under warranty - only cost of part. He is an authorized Honda Dealer. So thanks again - I'll think it over
I think I may have an "explanation" for your fuel gauge anomaly. When you start it, it's on the "sidestand" and gives you the intial reading. Then a few minutes later you are either riding it or have it off the sidestand while straddling it thus causing the fuel to become more level in the tank thus changing the fuel gauge reading. Mine does this as does every other NT. The fuel level is not accurate when on the side stand... it always shows more than when the bike is leveled.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...the warranty from Honda starts when the vehicle is "put into service". Put into service could be either as a dealer demo, or, as a sale to the new owner...]

Demo or loan use does not constitute the start of the 1-year warranty, if it did dealers would have a difficult time selling a demo unit. The warranty starts when the bike is registered to an actual owner. Several years ago, a good friend bought an ST1300 that was on loan to the AMA for a year. His 1-year warranty started the day it was registered in his name and it was always viewed as a brand-new bike.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
[...the warranty from Honda starts when the vehicle is "put into service". Put into service could be either as a dealer demo, or, as a sale to the new owner...]

Demo or loan use does not constitute the start of the 1-year warranty, if it did dealers would have a difficult time selling a demo unit. The warranty starts when the bike is registered to an actual owner. Several years ago, a good friend bought an ST1300 that was on loan to the AMA for a year. His 1-year warranty started the day it was registered in his name and it was always viewed as a brand-new bike.
New ST1300s have a three year warranty. new NTs have a year warranty. Also any warranty work done by a reputable Honda dealer will include labor. Sounds like you dealer does not want to do warranty work or has no clue how to work on the NT700, or cannot do electrical troubleshooting. I would find a different dealer to do business with. Three month old gas will cause hard starting. Do not use gas with more than 10% ethanol. Ride the bike more frequently than three months

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The warranty starts when it is sold, usually coincides with the title transfer from a 'dealer'.

Dealers can do all sorts of things with inventory. They can "sell" a bike and then it's value is less for insurance and tax purposes. But, then they have to sell it as a "used" bike. One way to tell is if the bike had a regular license plate on it when you bought it or did it have temp tags. If it had a license plate it means it had already been registered and technically you are buying a used bike.

OP
OP

skiper

THANK YOU FELLAS . Mine was new - no plates, 17 miles about 5 with me on it. Thanks Mike - my problem of gauge reading about one quarter high happens with each start up - level or not. After 5 or 10 min needle slowly but visibly goes down to accurate level. I ran the first tank of season down to half gallon and it seemed accurat once running - but I think it may jump up from time to time which would make it only partially useful for me. I've got the panels off for valve check - all in speck - and not sure if I will take fuel pump out and check ohms or wait a couple weeks. I'm thinking from a multiple opinions that my warranty is still good. Guess I could call a different Honda Dealer nearby and explain my situation. Manual says if fuel float reads wrong you must replace entire pump/guage assembly and that would be nice to have Honda supply to me free, as it's a new HONDA within warranty. thanks again boys

Top Bottom