NT fuel system

Phil, I'm guessing that your improved mileage on the Chevron, is actually that you are buying it while traveling. Your use pattern at home, with all the short hops, means you're running a lot more miles with the bike cold, and this dogs the fuel efficiency. I think if you had a Chevron in your neighborhood you wouldn't see any mileage improvement from it.

I still opt for the Chevron when I can, too. But we don't have it in Michigan, so when I'm home I mostly buy Shell or Mobil - those are the top tier brands available here. I'm more careful to get top tier brands at home, because that's when the fuel sits in my tank the longest. When I'm covering hundreds of miles in a day, I burn through it fast enough that I don't think the fuel brand matters very much, so I buy whatever is cheap and convenient.

Today I rode the NT for the last time this winter. I ran it around long enough to get fully warmed up, then stopped at the local Shell, added blue StaBil, and topped it up. I came home and wedged it into an inconvenient corner of the garage, where it will sit until spring. Then I took the Super10 out, rode it around enough to blow out its cobwebs, added StaBil and topped it up at the same Shell, brought it home and parked the NT in. (I've got the TDM boarded out at my friend Erik's house, where hopefully he is taking good care of it. I know he has been riding it some.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Katherine, I think the improved mileage is really the Chevron gas. I've usually been through two or three tanks before I get to Chevron territory and the mileage goes up when I start using Chevron. I definitely agree about use patterns (especially my little short runs around Fort Morgan make a huge difference in mileage, but don't believe that's the explanation for my success with Chevron.

Back
Top Bottom