NT Gone Naked!

tawilke46

Got a wild hair today to install a couple of horns and a GPS ball mount behind windshield.
I have had the horns and wiring harness for over a year. Just Recently got one of those GPS ball mounts for dash mount. Took my time and removed all the plastic on the front of the bike. Spent most of the late afternoon looking over parts of the bike that are not visible with all the tupperware installed. Got the GPS mount installed. Now thinking how to route the harness around the dash or just let it drop in front of the instrument panel. I would prefer to hide the harness if possible. Anyone routed the GPS harness behind the dash? Would entail disconnecting from around the battery and routing from front to back. Maybe drilling a hole and using a rubber grommet.

Also looking at how to mount a hi and low tone set of horns. Maybe in front of the pockets inside the side cowlings after partial reassembly.

Hope I can remember how it all came apart and have no missing parts, or parts left over! All screws, bolts, fasteners are either in their respective holes or are in labled plastic sandwich bags.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Nice naked bike!
How is it possible that you bike is so clean?
Especially underneath all the plastic bits!
Do you ever ride it...outdoors?

bicyclist

Maybe drilling a hole and using a rubber grommet.
I found that there is space where the top of the instrument cover overlaps the top of the fairing sufficient to allow my GPS wire to emerge from behind the cover. Take a look and you'll see what I mean.

edit: OK, maybe not, I just looked at your pics. You'll have to find that top fairing piece and hold the instrument cover up to it to see what I mean. Next to where the tab fits into its slot.

Last edited by a moderator:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Ya, very clean bike Tim. Nice. How much would you charge to clean mine?

I hope you can put it back together before you forget where all the fasteners go. Don't ask how I know. But your memory might be better than mine too.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Drinking a Coors Light and watching Great Planes on YouTube. Fingers sure are sore......:rolleyes1:

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Nice naked bike!
How is it possible that you bike is so clean?
Especially underneath all the plastic bits!
Do you ever ride it...outdoors?

Yah, gotta get a bigger garage. Hard to get a long ride in with my existing one, going in circles gets tiring.

Mainly it is clean cause I keep it that way. Same goes for my cars. Have a 2010 Honda CRV that will be 7 years old this year and it still looks new. Just the way I grew up, always took care of my stuff.

Annnndddd, the pictures make it look cleaner than it really was....

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Also got the GPS ball mount installed on the dash piece and the horn harness hooked up to the battery and the horn switch. Hooked up the two Fiamms and now it sounds like an old Buick. Much louder, I like! Now to figure the exact location to mount them. Thinking of the shelf space in front of the fairing pockets. Maybe just wire tie them down.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tim, you've sure got a big pile of stuff that came off your bike. Good luck on getting it all back in place. I filled up the space in front of my left fairing pocket with the actuator for the Rostra electronic cruise control. We ended up not even tying it down. There just wasn't anywhere for it to go.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
When you refit the windscreen be careful of the rubbers in the sliders, it's easy to trap them. DAMHIK

Bike
2010 NT700V
Good idea putting fasteners in bags and screws where they belong. I did the same on my 1400 Concours when I replaced the headlight assembly and faring pieces after a truck backed into it at a restaurant in New Hampshire. It's a lot of pieces that are easy to mix up. By the way, the guy took off and it took me too long to get the 775# monster back on it's wheels to catch him. $700.00 in new and used parts along with an entire day of work to install the parts. You really have to be careful and take your time.

I found a simple ram ball mount where you just take out one handlebar clamp bolt, insert the ball and use a longer bolt. Only problem is I have bar risers and needed a real long bolt that took me two hours and 70 miles to find. It was worth the effort. Only problem is having to reach over the GPS to get to the key, where your dash mount is a better location. Guess I'll just have to keep riding and not shut it off, ha ha! BB

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Today is the day to get all the wiring and connections done. The 12V supply to the Fuzeblock has separated from from the Posi twist connector to the battery. Now can't get the fairly heavy gauge wires to stay in the connector, they keep pulling out. Then tried a push in two port wire connector, 12 to 20 gauge size, which should work perfectly. Again one keeps pulling out. :mad: Back to the drawing board. May try a large PosiTap. Will figure it all out today. Always got my trusty soldering gun and regular twist connectors.
Hopefully can start some reassembly today after tidying up all the wires.
Take a deep breath and keep a Coors Light handy. :hyp1:

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Pile of parts is starting to thin out. Got the left and right outer cowls installed, looking a lot better. Now thinking of how to attach the horns to the "shelf" in front of the storage pockets. Maybe drill a 1/4" hole on the shelf and stick the threaded stud through and holding with the provided nut. May require a small right angle drill. Another option would be to wire tie into place.
Finding the harness to the Garmin mount is too short to route anywhere but in front of the instrument panel. May look at that again.
The ball mount looks good on the dash cover. Will have to see how well it works on my first ride when finished.

Attachments

Bike
2011 NT700VA
If you search "I added a pair of car horns", you will find a How-To write up I added about I did with my set of Fiamm horns. They have been working great.

Best,
Mark

Also got the GPS ball mount installed on the dash piece and the horn harness hooked up to the battery and the horn switch. Hooked up the two Fiamms and now it sounds like an old Buick. Much louder, I like! Now to figure the exact location to mount them. Thinking of the shelf space in front of the fairing pockets. Maybe just wire tie them down.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Pile of parts is starting to thin out. Got the left and right outer cowls installed, looking a lot better. Now thinking of how to attach the horns to the "shelf" in front of the storage pockets. Maybe drill a 1/4" hole on the shelf and stick the threaded stud through and holding with the provided nut. May require a small right angle drill. Another option would be to wire tie into place.
Finding the harness to the Garmin mount is too short to route anywhere but in front of the instrument panel. May look at that again.
The ball mount looks good on the dash cover. Will have to see how well it works on my first ride when finished.
Tim
In the first picture I noticed that you have a plate attached to you side stand foot. I have seen them available for other motorcycles but not the NT. Did you adapt one or come up with your own design ?

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Tim
In the first picture I noticed that you have a plate attached to you side stand foot. I have seen them available for other motorcycles but not the NT. Did you adapt one or come up with your own design ?
You can still get them through Twisted Throttle, I think anyway.......

Got one left evidently.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-racing-sidestand-foot-enlarger-for-honda-nt650v-nt700v-deauville-98-10

Had to use my Dremel to grind the stock sidestand foot to get this thing to fit. Have to take your time and grind a little of at a time until the new footpad fits correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Went to Lowes today to get two clamps, bolts, washers, and nuts to install the horns, following MarkinTexas's idea. I kept looking at the support strut for the instrument panel and headlight. This is a good place to hang the horns.
After the initial install I read about a horn failure from possible water intake. So had to loosen it all up and turn the horns down. Pictures were taken before rotaing the horns facing down.....
Continue tomorrow reinstalling the last bit of plastic.

http://youtu.be/PqWJs2Fh7Dk

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom