NT tire pressue

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I got the following from Subaru as far as how weather changes tire pressure.
A tire pressure gage, IIRC, compares ambient pressure with inside the tire pressure.
I personally havent done any tests on my NT to check the difference between a 32 degree morning and an 80 degree day.

"Here’s how hot summer roads can affect tire pressure.
It’s important to know how the hot summer weather can affect tire performance.

Heat increases tire inflation
Changes in outdoor temperature will likely affect your vehicle’s tire pressure. While a drop in temperature will certainly lower tire pressure, a rise in temperature will create more pressure. A good rule of thumb to remember is that, for every 10-degrees Fahrenheit increase in temperature, your tire’s pressure will go up roughly one pound per square inch (PSI). As you can imagine, this can really pose a threat to your tires when the temps skyrocket in the height of summer.

As if that’s not cause enough for concern, consider this: Regardless of outdoor temperature, tire pressure increases while you drive. In fact, within the first half-hour of driving, tire pressure can increase roughly 5 PSI. Combine this fact with the sweltering heat of summer and you could run the risk of driving on over-inflated tires.

Over-inflation’s effect on tires
The effect of over-inflated tires reaches beyond what you might think. When tires have too much pressure, they’re more susceptible to blowouts and overheating, and they can experience premature wear. Over-inflated tires also lend to decreased traction and subpar handling, so it can affect your vehicle’s safety, too.

What you can do
If you’re worried that your tires might be over-inflated from the heat, or that over-inflation has caused any damage or premature wear, fear not. There are steps you can take to avoid and manage over-inflated tires.

First, become familiar with what the recommended tire pressure is for your vehicle. You can find this information in the doorjamb, as well as in your vehicle’s Owner’s Manual. Aim to keep your tire pressure at this recommended level.

Next, it’s important to check your tire pressure regularly. Watch this quick video to learn how to check it yourself. Do it at least once a month—first thing in the morning, or after a few hours have passed since you last took your vehicle for a spin. Try to check all four tires at each fuel stop to help maintain fuel economy and tread life – especially if you’re taking a road trip.

(The following is kind of sad but I will include it as it is part of the article)

Finally, if you find that your tires are indeed over-inflated, bring your vehicle to us. Our Factory Trained Teams will inspect your tires and safely return them to the manufacturer’s recommended pressure level. If you happen to need new tires, we can handle that, too! Just don’t attempt to let air out of your tires on your own—you run the risk of under-inflating them, which can be just as dangerous as over-inflating them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My tire pressure monitoring system (Doran) confirms a good deal of what Subaru says. Tire pressure does indeed change with ambient air temperature. On my WV trip, there was a day when the morning temperature was down into the high 40s and both tires indicated that tire pressure was below the 12.5% which trigger an alert.

My Doran indicates 2-3 psi below my tire gauge, which I believe is accurate. I use recommended pressures +2psi as my baseline. The tire pressures usually run 39-41psi for the front tire and 46-49psi for the rear after I've been moving for 1/2 hour or so on a warm day.

I've decided not to lower my tire pressures at fuel stops. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Boyle's Law is alive and well when it comes to tire pressures. As temp increases so does pressure. The rule of thumb that Subie sez is true, about 1 psi increase for every 10 degrees (F) increase in tire temp. Also, due to rotational friction tires temps will increase over and above the ambient temp. I disagree with Subaru however when they suggest lowering the tire pressure when driving in elevated temps. Virtually every tire manufacturer that I have surveyed said that this is not necessary. For example, I keep Traveller's tire pressures at 36/42 adjusted for a 70 degree ambient in the summer. Therefore even on a 100 degree day the tire pressures are only about 3 psi above set point. Add in an extra three degrees for rotational friction and you are still only 6 degrees above initial setpoint. This is still well within the maximum pressure that the tire carcass can handle safely. If you are anal enough, you can adjust your TP's to accommodate for the increase but the very real danger is that you won't remember to readjust the air pressure upward after your ride is over. An underinflated tire is infinitely more dangerous than an over inflated one.

Just my .02

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree in general that the above generalizations are true, but are not the whole story. Heat buildup also depends on speed and sidewall flex. Even a road surface can affect heat build-up. Dark colored pavement on a sunny day and rough srufaces contribute to heat. Constant agressive cronering and high speeds cause heat too. I think that tube tires run hotter than tubless tires. Clearly there are lots of factors.

I stick to the 36/42 settings at a cold reading on the highway. If I go for an off-road ride I'll go with about half that much pressure. Letting air out of tires for gravel road riding helps, but not as much as having off-road tires.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I pretty much agree with everything here. After much study on the subject when I installed the FOBO system on the NT, I've concluded that it really doesn't make much difference. Vehicle Mfgs tell you to see the tire mfg's recommendations and the tire mfg's tell you to use the vehicle mfg's data which does not include a std temp.

The pressure in your tire is dependent on the air temperature in the tire. If 36 psi at 60 degrees F is standard and you have 36 PSI to start on a cold 30 degree day, you are overinflated by 3 psi but you are probably riding on a cold day. If the pressure starts at 36 psi on a 90 degree day, you are underinflated by 3 psi, but your are probably riding on a hot day. Either way no harm, no foul.

The BMW F800GT computer compensates for the tire temperature for the tire pressure display. Whatever the pressure was at start usually stays, occasionally it may go up 1 psi (rounding error?). It is convenient to see if you have to add air despite the temp changes.

The pressure inside your tire (at constant temp) does not change with altitude ... however the tire gage will read differently with altitude. About 1 psi per 2,000 feet (?) Absolute pressure vs gage pressure. Again you are probably setting your tires at the altitude that mostly ride, so no harm no foul ... Maybe back off 1 or 2 psi if you live at 6,000 feet and head lower.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I am not that concerned with the temperature changes for tire pressures.
What I worry about is correct tire pressure for the weight it is carrying. So when I eat an extra jelly donut for breakfast I adjust the tire to compensate for the extra weight. I figure 1 pound per donut is about right. Cinnamon rolls are another story.

Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
All of what you say is true Chris.
As I have stated previously in other threads, I have been using Tyre Pressure Monitors on all of my, my family and many customer vehicles for some time now.
They are not yet compulsory in Oz like they are in the US.
This morning when I left home the the indicated tyre pressures were 36/41 psi (F/R).
It was cold and foggy, 8 degrees C.
After 40km (25miles) at varying speeds up to 80kph (50mph) the pressures were 39/46, still at no more than 9C.
In Summer I have seen the pressures rise from 36/41 to 43/55.
This is normal and will not harm the tyres.
99.99% of people drive around in ignorant bliss.
Do not deflate your tyres when hot.
They will return to the "recommended cold inflation pressure" as they cool. This means at 20C. At 10C they will be 1-2 psi lower.
I have a friend who refuses to accept this advice and always reduces the pressure on a hot day.
My tyres last 3 times the distance that he gets out of his!
'Nuff said.

I do not agree with the principle of temperature compensation built into TPMS units like the BMW and some others.
This gives the false impression that the pressure is stable and will also result in different readings between the vehicle and the tyre inflator in
use at the time as it is not compensated. Most people will be confused by the difference when using the inflator at the petrol station.
I gave this subject a lot of thought before I chose which TPMS systems to buy and decided that temperature compensation is not the correct way to go.

Macka

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
All of what you say is true Chris.
As I have stated previously in other threads, I have been using Tyre Pressure Monitors on all of my, my family and many customer vehicles for some time now.
They are not yet compulsory in Oz like they are in the US.
This morning when I left home the the indicated tyre pressures were 36/41 psi (F/R).
It was cold and foggy, 8 degrees C.
After 40km (25miles) at varying speeds up to 80kph (50mph) the pressures were 39/46, still at no more than 9C.
In Summer I have seen the pressures rise from 36/41 to 43/55.
This is normal and will not harm the tyres.
99.99% of people drive around in ignorant bliss.
Do not deflate your tyres when hot.
They will return to the "recommended cold inflation pressure" as they cool. This means at 20C. At 10C they will be 1-2 psi lower.
I have a friend who refuses to accept this advice and always reduces the pressure on a hot day.
My tyres last 3 times the distance that he gets out of his!
'Nuff said.

I do not agree with the principle of temperature compensation built into TPMS units like the BMW and some others.
This gives the false impression that the pressure is stable and will also result in different readings between the vehicle and the tyre inflator in
use at the time as it is not compensated. Most people will be confused by the difference when using the inflator at the petrol station.
I gave this subject a lot of thought before I chose which TPMS systems to buy and decided that temperature compensation is not the correct way to go.

Macka
The older I get, the less I worry about this kind of thing. I think about a balloon being released by a child and going up and expanding till it bursts. Then I think about an SR 71/ U2 tire, which gets very hot at certain times of its flight and at very high altitudes, it doesnt seem to blow up inside the wheel well.
Now I think that if I set a tire at 42 psi at my house at 70 degrees and 2500 ft, in the frame of reference of the tire, things will change as the day warms, as I go up and down in altitude, how hard I ride with what load, etc and if I am camping up in the mountains, it may even get to freezing at night. But I am in good shape for the shape I am in.

OTOH, I see other folk driving around with what is obviously an under inflated tire and wonder how many of today's population even know how to use a tire gage or even have anyone check their tires?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
OTOH, I see other folk driving around with what is obviously an under inflated tire and wonder how many of today's population even know how to use a tire gage or even have anyone check their tires?
Damned few!

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
...you can often find the people who never check tire pressure alongside the freeway with a blow-out during hot weather! :)

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
...you can often find the people who never check tire pressure alongside the freeway with a blow-out during hot weather! :)
Very true. I would laugh at those who think their next text is more important than learning how to check tire pressure, except that these people from the i Gen, (not iPHone generation, Ignorant generation) can and do hurt others.....
Here is a highly technical report on car accidents and tire pressure (see pages 6 to 8 especially) but the jist of the whole report is that your (and others) life is riding on your tires, not your cell phone.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811617

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Wow, that is a complex report. I didn't read the whole thing, but rather gave up when I saw how old some of the data were and considered the changes in recent years. Point taken, tire inflation adn condition are important!

Today's cars are certainly more capable than cars of a decade or two ago. TPMS, stability control, ABS, traction control, lane sensing devices, following distance controls, blind spot alarms - and the list goes on. Many of these systems will mask a problem with a vehicle. Because I'm old, I pay attention to the things that keep a car running and on the road. I can tell you that a '52 Chevy with bald tires, bad brakes, and loose stearing provides a steep learing cruve for a beginning driver. Today's cars are so good that people EXPECT the car to perform perfectly and even fix some of the driver's boo-boos.

However I think that while tire inflation and condition is important, the things that concern me the most is the "me first" attitude of some drivers and the assumption that "I can text and drive if because I'm careful". If your head isn't in the correct lane at the correct speed your car probably won't be either.

Surviving motorcyclists learn that keeping your head in the game when riding is critical. But, for example, I'm certain my wife has no ieda how much tread is on her tires or how much air pressuer they should be set at. So, who's responsibility is it to keep track of that stuff? (I know - it's the spouses responsibility) Could be the driver, the mechanic, the manufacturer, or any combination. I'm sure the lawyers would look at all possibilities AFTER a crash. In my mind it is utilmately the driver's responsibility. But I just can't picture my grand daughter with an air gauge in her hand.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Attitude is everything. With the right attitude a driver will have respect for not only other vehicles on the road but passengers in their own vehicle. So if they truly want to protect everyone around them they would take the time to check tire condition and pressure to the best of their ability.
With that said there certainly are many that don't do it well if at all. And not just a certain generation either. An old coworker comes to mind. I have noticed his tires in the parking lot before. The same fellow has gotten more than one call to rescue the spouse who just had a flat and was on the side of the road.

Here is one I wonder about that is close to home. How far do you all push tread wear on bike tires. There is always a lot of forum chatter about tire wear and the mileage numbers are all over the place. I don't think I push mine too far but how far is that? If you take a worn out bike tire off and saw through the tread and look at the small amount of rubber and carcass left it is a little scary. A car (4 wheels) with a flat has a good chance of being a minor inconvenience. A bike (2 wheels) with a flat at speed is usually a pretty big deal. Lucky for us tires are much better than many moons ago and problems with them are less often.
I have to go to the garage now and check tires.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Here is one I wonder about that is close to home. How far do you all push tread wear on bike tires.
Well, who do you believe?
Wear bars start about 2mm from the bottom of the tread.
My bike manufacturer says change tires at 3mm of tread depth (4mm if riding 2 up or high speeds).
I'd rather replace a tire too soon than too late.
Besides, new tires ride so much nicer than squared off, choppy, old tires.

And Brad is right. The new tires these days are so much better than a few decades ago. That's no excuse for pushing a tire too far. In my much younger days I'd push tires to death. I remember one day my tube came buldging out the side of a tire like a big anaconda snake. Nothing poped or blew, but it required an immediate fix. I'm pretty sure no modern tube would stretch that far.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I doubt if you could find a car tire that would fit on the NT even if for some reason you wanted one.

Top Bottom