NT & trailer?

horsearcherwannabe

My two hobbie are motor cycles and Kayaking.
Has anyone here put a trailer on thier NT?
Gross trailer weight would be about 125 pounds. (not a typo fourty ish for boat The rest for an all aluminum trailer.)
Trailer length would be just over 18 feet.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That trailer length is as John said a real tail wagging dog... The wheelbase on the NT is 58.1", call it five feet. You would have about a 2:1 wheelbase ratio if the axle was centered at 9' on your trailer. Think of a F-150 pulling a 40 foot single axle trailer with the axle in the center; there is no way would I want to drive a setup like that, much less in traffic.... I my opinion that is way too much chance of letting the tail wag the dog and that would be very ugly on a motorcycle...

MAC

I think I would touch base with my insurance co before doing any thing with a trailer that long and as Wayne and John pointed out, tail wagging the dog.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I agree woith all the previous posters, I have a kwik kamp that has been all over Western Canada and Western USA, towed behind a GL1800 Gold Wing with ABS, I DO NOT PLAN on pulling it behind NT. Possibly at a later date maybe a Uingo or a light weight Bushtec at the most.

IF I were even to consider that length of item behind me I would want the axle place very near the rear end of the trailer. That is based on 25 years of pulling Semi trailers in various configurations of 45 t0 53 foot single trailers, Doubles two 20 to 27 foot trailers , and Rocky Mountain doubles a 40 ft and a 20 ft behind the 40. with the length of trailer, or the Kayack setting on a trailer with the trailer axel setting in the center of tghe loaded item, you will be having a very dangerous situation in that when you make a turn the back end will be subject to swinging way wide and possily hitting another vehicle, object etc with the wheels at the back end of trailer you eliminate the previous problem, but you will have to make a much wider swing to allow making it safley arround a corner. Neither is a real safe situation to be puting yourselfe into.The weight factor mentioned should not be a problem for the NT, BUT getting a hitch set up would be a problem as no one thus far has been marketing one to my knowledge.

Please be safe and careful with your project if you decide to attempt it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Last summer, a friend and I saw a V-Strom 1000 with two mountain bikes on a homebuilt rack. One bike was on each side of the pillion, with front wheels removed and over the pillion.

Maybe you could do something like that with your kayak. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
You can always play it safe and get an inflatable kayak. Then all you would need is a good luggage rack.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
KathyL, our Aussie Forum member has a trailer and pictures of the hitch in her gallery. She could give you lots of help, I'd guess. But her trailer isn't anywhere near the length of what you've been talking about. I think Sailariel's suggestion of an inflatable kayak might be on target.

OP
OP

horsearcherwannabe

Thank you gentlemen. I was wondering about that my self.

Top Bottom