NT vibration, a lot of comments led me here

loonytuna

For those of you reading this who don't ride an NT, the vibration is really not so bad!

There is a lot of mention of vibration, and yes there is vibration, but I have to say that once I changed the grips for a pair of six dollar foam grips from cycle gear, I hardly notice it!

No bike is perfect, and this one is no exception, try it, you will love it!

Just saying!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, a slight vibration. I'd actually call it a buzz. :)

For me foam grips did not do as much as gel gloves.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
What vibrations? I don't seem to have then on my bike but then I also had a "buzzy" 200cc TOAD.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
At least on my bike, the buzzy feeling in the grips & footpegs gradually decreased and was almost unnoticeable by the time I'd passed 10k miles.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I for one, don't think vibration is an issue at all with the NT.

Mike

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Having several 4 cylinder bikes including an 83 V-4 Interceptor (not any more) the NT has less vibration than any other bike I have owned. It is a non issue for me.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Right. It's all a bit relative. I find the bike very pleasant to ride. It isn't "buzzy" like my CB-1 (inline 400cc 4cylinder). Think angry mosquito. The reciprocation of the pistons is certainly more noticeable at idle but it disappears underway and doesn't interfere with the ride quality at all. And it isn't nearly as "thumpy" as the Vstar 1100 I had. But it doesn't have that silky, electric motor like smoothness of the Wing. That isn't a plus or a minus however. It's just different.

I really like the NT (my wife's bike). I told my wife that I might have to get me one. LOL

For those of you reading this who don't ride an NT, the vibration is really not so bad!

There is a lot of mention of vibration, and yes there is vibration, but I have to say that once I changed the grips for a pair of six dollar foam grips from cycle gear, I hardly notice it!

No bike is perfect, and this one is no exception, try it, you will love it!

Just saying!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I started riding on a Shadow 600 and moved from that to a GL650i Silverwing (both V-twins, one longitudinal and probably related to the NT engine in some distant-cousin kind of way; the other transverse). I moved from the Silverwing to a ZG1000 Concours, a bike that always elicited the comment from road testers: "Buzzy." One of my friends told me that my Connie was much buzzier than his. Neither one bothered me with their alleged buzziness.

Now the NT, which has some vibration, but, IMNSHO, nothing annoying or irritating. Mechanical contrivances, especially reciprocating devices with internal combustion will always have some noticeable movements. The NT does, but it sure hasn't been an issue for me.

OP
OP

loonytuna

I hope everyone understands the reason I started this thread is because I have read comments about vibration and the NT, and I disagree with it as a "problem ".

While there is some normal vibration, it was made almost completely unnoticeable by the addition of a pair of foam grips.

I have had everything from a Kawasaki 90 to Harleys, vibration is going to be "normal " in almost every bike.

I have less miles and will see if the minor vibe dissapears with break in, but even if not, its minimal and not a problem and should not deter a potential new owner from considering the NT!

I love the bike !

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think the NT is amazingly smooth considering that it uses a 52? V twin engine without counter balancers. This engine configeraton would normally resemble a washing machine with an unbalanced load. Honda's solution of stagering the crank is a low cost solution that mimics a 90? V twin which has good primary balance characteristics without adding additional cost or complexity to the engine. My Yamaha XS650 has a 360? parallel twin and it will flat out rattle your teeth out of your head at anything above 6,000 rpm. Yamaha tried to make the bike rideable by rubber mounting everything but Honda's solution works so much better.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The NT is smooth. "Buzzy" is relative. My Ninja was buzzy at 11.500RPM and settled down at 12.5. I usually ran between 10,000 and 11,000RPM in the interest of keeping my license.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
My NT is nice and smooth until about 60-65 MPH, and the vibration goes up from there, but isn't terrible. It wasn't a problem on a long distance tour a did last year.

JoeyB

Can anyone tell me what the buzz is like at 80-85? Are the rpm's maxed at this speed? I'm really interested in buying an NT, but my experience on a shadow 750 has me worried (crap on the highway, vibes were terrible over 70). I'd be commuting 120 miles per day, all highway, so maintaining highway speeds without my hands going numb is a must.

Bike
2010 Silver 700 NT ABS
Can anyone tell me what the buzz is like at 80-85? Are the rpm's maxed at this speed? I'm really interested in buying an NT, but my experience on a shadow 750 has me worried (crap on the highway, vibes were terrible over 70). I'd be commuting 120 miles per day, all highway, so maintaining highway speeds without my hands going numb is a must.
I have run my 2010 Sivler ABS at a constant 75 mph speed with no undo vibrations.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My hands go numb if they are in one position for any length of time so I am not a good reference. That's why I use a throttle friction device on every bike I have owned and will soon have a full cruise control on my NT (because it is my long distance bike). Gel padded gloves help the most. Gel grips next best. Heated grips or gloves are essential for me in weather below 40F, on any bike.

On my bike the worst buzz is 70-75, gets a little better from 80 up to about 90, then the buzz returns. At 60-65 it is almost smooth.

80 is near the peak power band. RPM max (redline) doesn't come until over 115mph. Bike accelerates well at 80 up to 95. 100-110 takes a while :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I agree with Charlie that the bike still has plenty of power at 90, not so much above 100. But, unlike Charlie, I can't say that I've had any trouble with vibration.

skiper

The only BUZZ I get is in my head, from riding this beautiful thang.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
The only time I feel what I would call unpleasant vibration is when the wind is brutal and the bike really loads up. Also, the quality of the surface you ride on has an effect. I think some people are confusing less than perfect road feedback with engine vibration at times.
When weather is benign, the engine is like buttah

Top Bottom