NT vibration, a lot of comments led me here

Bike
2010 NT700V
Most of my problems were fixed with proper handle bar, brake, and clutch alighnment. Your wrist should form a straight line from your knuckles to your elbow.

If your picky, and you feel like spending money, Foam grips, gel gloves, heavier handle bar end weights (throttle locks), Silicone the inside of your handle bars (very time consuming), and handle bar risers with a single layer of bike tube between the bar and risers.

androu

There definately is some buzzy engine vibration, more pronounced under certain RPM/load conditions than others, perhaps more than some bikes, but I don't find it troublesome at all. I think that in my case, it has smoothed out some as the bike has been broken in, and I'm more accustomed to it, really doesn't bother me at all.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
My NT is still up on my makeshift hillbilly bike stand but the new PR3s are mounted front and rear, the vaves I have just adjusted and some were a little loose, and I am awaiting my new plugs and air filter before I reassemble. My OEM tires were shot (8400 miles) so I am excited to ride the bike after these improvements as it should really smooth out the ride. She was not overly uncomfortable or buzzy but she was telling me that a few valves were ticking and the tires, well, close to scary!

Bike
Silver NT700V
Can anyone tell me what the buzz is like at 80-85? Are the rpm's maxed at this speed? I'm really interested in buying an NT, but my experience on a shadow 750 has me worried (crap on the highway, vibes were terrible over 70). I'd be commuting 120 miles per day, all highway, so maintaining highway speeds without my hands going numb is a must.
You will find the NT a completely different experience. Think Ford Mustang (NT) v. pickup truck (Shadow). There is some vibration, it is a V-twin, but minimal. I think it vibrates less than my old parallel twin did. The engine likes to run at 4K or higher so don't be afraid to spin it. Hnadling will be much eaisier and weather protection much better. The NT is an excellent highway bike.

Oh, BTW, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Vibration is so subjective, it's impossible to predict if you'll find it objectionable. On every bike I've had, I've changed the handgrips to softer ones, and installed some sort of throttle friction gizmo. This includes a Gold Wing and 3 ST's.

I had occasion to do lots of 80-90 MPH traveling this summer, including many multi-hundred mile nonstop days. Bike runs great in that speed range. And personally, from about 70 on up is where is smooths out. I also second that the bike seems noticeably smoother with the 13,000 miles it now has on it than when I first got it at 1,700 miles.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
tried to post this comment earlier but it didnt take...
I think many people are misinterpreting feedback from the road thru the bike and handlebars for engine vibration.
I used to think my bike was smooth as butter on one stint, and rough as could be on the next...I knew that couldnt be right
There's no way your engine could be rough one hour and perfectly smooth the next (all things being equal)

After paying a lot of attention to what was going on around me, I realized that what I was sometimes calling vibrations was/is actually the road itself...Also, brutal headwinds can make things seem rougher, especially when there's enough wind to load the engine.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
tried to post this comment earlier but it didnt take...
I think many people are misinterpreting feedback from the road thru the bike and handlebars for engine vibration.
I used to think my bike was smooth as butter on one stint, and rough as could be on the next...I knew that couldnt be right
There's no way your engine could be rough one hour and perfectly smooth the next (all things being equal)

After paying a lot of attention to what was going on around me, I realized that what I was sometimes calling vibrations was/is actually the road itself...Also, brutal headwinds can make things seem rougher, especially when there's enough wind to load the engine.
I agree with this. I commented on another thread how wonderful it was to ride I-84 between Umatilla to the I-15 junction north of Ogden and how obnoxious I-90 is in large sections of Montana and Washington State.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I feel some vibration but I considerd it normal until I first read this thread.

I suggest an alternative.
I noticed that I sit farther forward when I am carrying a passenger.
Then the weight is on my hips more than on my hands.
The vibration may be the same but I feel it a lot less.
Now I sit further forward as my speed increases.

Dave

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Those of us who are sensitive to the 'buzz' in the bars know that it is not related to road surface at all. It occurs at the same RPM range regardless of road conditions, wind, etc. Under load it can be a little worse, but, not by much.

The buzz on both my Guzzi and NT are directly proportional to engine speed. I wish I had a harmonic analyzer so I could see what I feel. Guessing I would bet that the buzz is the same frequency as the engine combustion strokes, ie, 5000Hz at 5000rpm. Kinda 'feels' in the same ballpark. That also explains why my Guzzi and NT both 'feel' the same at the same RPM's.

skiper

Those of us who are sensitive to the 'buzz' in the bars know that it is not related to road surface at all. It occurs at the same RPM range regardless of road conditions, wind, etc. Under load it can be a little worse, but, not by much.

The buzz on both my Guzzi and NT are directly proportional to engine speed. I wish I had a harmonic analyzer so I could see what I feel. Guessing I would bet that the buzz is the same frequency as the engine combustion strokes, ie, 5000Hz at 5000rpm. Kinda 'feels' in the same ballpark. That also explains why my Guzzi and NT both 'feel' the same at the same RPM's.
Could get real interesting when you guys with the feel - trade machines for a spell... wonder if an ear bud taped to bar would record a clean vibe ? cool .

Bike
2013 FJR 1300

5000 Hz is about a third above the top note on a piano.

Bike
choosing
I have owned three Harley Davidson Sportsters in my lifetime.

Nuff said.

Joe

P.S. As a matter of a fact, my avatar is me on the last one I owned.
A 1200 Custom. Very nice bike. Paint shaker. It would shake the
fillings out your teeth.

Last edited:
A little trick I noticed today. If the footpegs seem a little buzzy try moving your feet farther away from the frame. It was very obvious today that the more I moved my feet out on the pegs the less vibration was apparent almost to the point of eliminating it. FYI.

PS: works a bit with the grips too.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
after all this talk about vibration, I paid close attention on a 550 mile trip this weekend...I have to say that it's just not an issue on my bike.
It's like BUTTAH!!!

Top Bottom