NT Warm Up Stalling

I don't care. (Don't tell Mother Honda I said that, please!) As long as I have been driving vehicles, I've always started moving slowly within 30-45 seconds of starting the engine. I accelerate slowly and don't move anything very fast. My theory, for what it's worth, is that sitting while the engine runs only warms up the engine and everything in the drive train and suspension needs to start getting warmed and loosened up. No evidence in 50+ years that my approach has ever damaged anything.

So there. :)

How long has it been since you checked , or replaced the Air Cleaner , Or could it have accumulated a lot of water??
Eldon

This is a somewhat old thread but I changed and replaced the air filter & spark plugs in May of 2015 this year. Today after only riding about 350 miles my bike simply refused to start back up again after several minutes and after holding the starter the bike finally fired back up again but the check engine light was on.
5e7335287d67ceb14cdb96cca0a9cb82.jpg

When I got back home today I turned the bike off and back on and it started just fine though.:doh1:

Could be a crank position sensor problem as those are the symptoms that show up when they start playing up.

Seagrass

You need to determine what fault codes are stored in the ECM. There is a great thread here on the forum for how to check 'em. The fault codes will lead you to the problem, I'll bet.

Mike

Here is the thread to help determine what is causing the check engine/ maintenance indicating light. It is especially easy to be done when the code is active (before cycling the key to clear it), but even after the light clears the code is stored in the computer and can still be read with no special code reader.

Like already mentioned, warm engine re-start problems are almost always a crank position sensor problem. Check your codes and let us know.

Good luck.

Thanks! I got the code to come back up tonight so I took a video of it.
https://youtu.be/Er0e1wgCSZg

It looks like it's code 19 CKP (Crank Position) sensor lost but i'm not an expert at correctly reading check engine lights.

However tonight I couldn't recreate that specific problem again with my bike so i'm not sure if I should spend the time required to try to file a warranty claim on that issue.

Since you have extended warranty, might as well turn it in.

I changed the CKP on my bike and it was a fairly simple task once the left side engine (clutch) cover was removed. My problem was a temporary no-start situation after stopping during a long trip and it happened twice so I checked the codes once home.

By the way, the codes are still in memory for a tech at the dealership, even though the Check Engine Light is off while riding.

That is definitely a code 19, you have interpreted it correctly.

Make a warranty claim and get if fixed.

Seagrass

Thanks for the info and the suggestions but i'm not a very good mechanic. Do you folks think this crank position sensor issue can wait until January when the dealership would be less busy and be able to get the work done quicker?

It's not something that should take them long to fix. Let them see the code and then make sure they've got the part and schedule the repair.

This type of fault can easily leave you stranded if it progresses to a total failure.

This is not a common progression but if it does fail the computer does not know when to generate a spark so the engine will not run.

A typical progression is that the engine will not start when it is warm but once running the engine seems to run until you turn it off.

Seagrass

One my trip to Road Runner weekend, we made a stop at a park. Leaving I started off, the bike shut off, of course my I went slid forward with the sudden stop and then down on the side. I could not get my feet down due to slid with the sudden loss of power. I already have a bumper strip (which came loose) and bed liner paint on bags so no damage.
After righting I looked at all switches (turned off key while on side) kill switch was in correct position. Have no idea of why it quit.

Back
Top Bottom