NT700V Motor issue

The service writer didn't seem to be too surprised about the mileage being 134,900+. But when he checked to see if the bike was indeed still under warranty he did seem a little surprised that it was for over 14 more months.:)

I don't think cold is the cause of leaking, snowmobiles use many parts that are similar. Cold should not effect the seals. Gaskets or seals are design to handle a wide variety of temperatures. Yes a motorcycle is not designed for -20+ but the seals are.

+1 to the plugs/caps

I would go step by step, change the plugs first, that will probably fix. If not, the caps then.

The plug caps are the rubber things you put on the plugs after you install them on the engine. They also have some electric stuff inside. If it's broken, it affects the voltage/current build-up and might cause such things.

Very likely that there is an ignition timing change at 6500rpm and it comes out like this.

I had a similar issue on an older carburated bike of mine, it used to hesitate twice until the redline. Just changed the filter and plugs, then put some additive in the tank and it was OK.

OEM plug caps were known to be not the most reliable a while ago but I am sure that was fixed way before the bike came to the US. NGK also has replacements at a better price.

OEM plug caps were known to be not the most reliable a while ago but I am sure that was fixed way before the bike came to the US.

Some of the early US 2010's had bad caps that were replaced under recall / warranty. They must have pulled a box of the old caps while they removing HISS, the 4-Way Flashers, tool kit and other bits we didn't get here....:wink:

Well................. I've been waiting all week for the diagnosis....... any word?

Mike

Sorry I don't check the forums much on the weekends since I'm usually out riding.

But I got a call from the dealership last Tuesday. They said they had ordered a new crank case position sensor and I think 2 other sensors but I can't remember what they were. I haven't heard anything else from the dealership since then.

A crank position sensor would certainly create "hard to start" problems and potentially problems with the engine running reliably.

Hopefully you will be back riding before you know it.

Seagrass

Sorry I don't check the forums much on the weekends since I'm usually out riding.

But I got a call from the dealership last Tuesday. They said they had ordered a new crank case position sensor and I think 2 other sensors but I can't remember what they were. I haven't heard anything else from the dealership since then.

Great news! That explains the symptoms. You will be back on the road in no time.

Mike

Unlikely that three sensors failed at the same time and if they did you would have had MIL codes flashing. Appears to me the dealer is using a bit of trial and error to solve the problem.

Well I called the dealership this afternoon and they said the parts arrived today. But the mechanic that was working on my bike doesn't work on Mondays. But he would be back on Tuesday to work on the bike.

I do think the dealership is just guessing at what could be the cause because the issue is usually randomly intermittent and they said they were just going to check the computer codes after they installed the new parts.

P.S. I have still been out riding because I also own a CRF250L but I have been wearing out the rear mefo explorer tire a lot quicker than I want to.

Unlikely that three sensors failed at the same time and if they did you would have had MIL codes flashing. Appears to me the dealer is using a bit of trial and error to solve the problem.

Not necessarily! I had two sensor faults at the same time but only one fault code.
The second sensor that failed was still giving an acceptable signal but at the wrong time, therefore, no fault code.
By replacing the sensor which was logging the code most of the symptoms disappeared (including the fault code) but not all of them.
One fault can hide or disguise another one.

Macka

While your NT is immobilized at the dealer, Woodaddict is riding 24/7 to roll-up more miles! :)

The intermittant problems are usually the hardest to find. If it ain't broke while trying to fix it it is tough to find.
At least the dealer will likely have the needed parts on hand to try to get it back to you as soon as possible.

Brad

Well today I picked my NT700V up from the Honda dealership. I only rode it 132 miles tonight but it seems to be running fine now so hopefully it's fixed.:)

P.S. Woodaddict I think my NT's Mileage is currently only at 135,095 miles so you might possibly have went back past me.:shrug2:

Well today I picked my NT700V up from the Honda dealership. I only rode it 132 miles tonight but it seems to be running fine now so hopefully it's fixed.:)

P.S. Woodaddict I think my NT's Mileage is currently only at 135,095 miles so you might possibly have went back past me.:shrug2:

So what exactly did they do?

Macka

not quite......130,700. nope your in front now and I won't catch you unless to retire the NT!!!

So what exactly did they do?

Macka

I think they just replaced some sensors but I'm not sure. When I picked the bike up I didn't have to sign anything and they didn't give me any paperwork just the key to the bike.

When I called last week I think he said the sensors they had ordered were air temp, crank position, air intake, and a map sensor. But I could be wrong.

Glad it seems to be running well. Why don't you ask for a copy of the warranty work order? I always got mine, even if I didn't have to pay anything. We'd all like to know!

Back
Top Bottom