NT700V: No juice to Ignition switch

The battery in my 2010 NT700V is brand new (purchased yesterday, 9/20). There's no dashboard response when I turn the Ignition key to On. Suggestions? Thoughts?

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED TO MY REQUEST FOR HELP.
SPECIAL THANKS TO THOSE WHO POINTED ME TO A BAD FUSE AS THE SOURCE OF MY PROBLEM.
I WAS WELL ON MY WAY TO A FIX ONCE I LOCATED THE MASTER FUSE. YUP, IT WAS BLOWN. A NEW MASTER FUSE WAS ALL IT TOOK TO GET ME UP AND RUNNING.

ADDITIONAL LESSONS LEARNED:
  1. IT TOOK THIS EXPERIENCE TO LEARN THAT THE NT700V IS DESIGNED TO CARRY A SPARE MASTER FUSE. THE HOLDER FOR THE SPARE IS IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT TO THE ACTIVE MASTER FUSE AND FACING THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT.
  2. ONCE THE SPARE FUSE IS INSTALLED, I SUPPOSE IT'S A NATURAL TEMPTATION TO PLACE THE BLOWN FUSE IN THE SPARE HOLDER AND ROLL ON WITH YOUR DAY. APPARENTLY, THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH MY NT700. PROBABLY A HECTIC DAY IN THE SHOP. ANYWAY, MY (ONBOARD) SPARE MASTER FUSE WAS ALSO BLOWN. SO I BOUGHT A PACK OF FUSES, PUT ONE IN THE ACTIVE SOCKET AND ANOTHER IN THE SPARE HOLDER, AND TUCKED THE REST OF THE PACK IN MY ONBOARD TOOLKIT.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Check the fuses. There are 2 fuse blocks under the seat, and a fuse in a holder next to the starter relay, left hand side of frame below the seat.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I would suspect the new battery first since you didn't have the problem prior to the battery swap. Perhaps having it load tested would be a good idea or return it for another battery.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
No offense, but is it possible that you may have installed the battery with the polarity reversed? What was the reason for the battery replacement? Dirt Flier suggests that you didn't have the problem prior to the battery swap, is that correct?

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
No offense, but is it possible that you may have installed the battery with the polarity reversed? What was the reason for the battery replacement? Dirt Flier suggests that you didn't have the problem prior to the battery swap, is that correct?

Mike
If the battery was indeed connected with reverse polarity, the main fuse by the starter relay is most likely open. OP probably got lucky if that's the case, because the main fuse probably protected the rectifier regulator. If it was me, I'd start there.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
If not already done I would toggle the headlamp switch first.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MikeSim - one would assume that reversing the battery cables would fry the main fuse immediately.

ps. I'm not sure if the "laydown" battery can be installed in the reverse position because the terminals would be closest to the center of the bike and the cables way too short. And I'm assuming the battery's post locations are similar or identical to the OEM Yuasa.

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
MikeSim - one would assume that reversing the battery cables would fry the main fuse immediately.

ps. I'm not sure if the "laydown" battery can be installed in the reverse position because the terminals would be closest to the center of the bike and the cables way too short. And I'm assuming the battery's post locations are similar or identical to the OEM Yuasa.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that either. I haven't looked at mine to see if it was even possible. I was throwing out a possibility. Hopefully, it is not possible because mistakes of that nature can be very costly.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If you flipped the original OEM style battery 180-degrees which is possible, the positive post would be at the front and negative at the back with both of them much closer to the center of the bike. The cables from the bike would have to criss-cross the battery and be much longer- maybe by 5-6"?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well, it has been several days since the OP's query with no reply so perhaps it will remain forever a mystery?

Mike

Top Bottom