October Ride

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I doing a rather short October ride (about 250 miles a day), starting on the 11th to maybe 18. I am meeting my bother who rides a H-D trike (he has a prosthetic leg), so days will be shorter then my normal days. Will be perhaps a little slower pace. So if anyone would like to meet at any stop and join your welcome. No plans after Warren, PA for return home.
11[SUP]th[/SUP] Travelodge-Terre Haute
12[SUP]th[/SUP] Sleep Inn & Suites Fort Campbell Oak Grove, KY
13[SUP]th[/SUP] Quality Inn Renfro Valley Mount Vernon, KY
14[SUP]th[/SUP] Motel 6 Cross Lanes, WV 25313
15[SUP]th[/SUP] Sleep Inn Bridgeport-Clarksburg Bridgeport, WV
16[SUP]th[/SUP] Quality Inn & Suites Warren, PA

oct 11.jpg

Bike
2010 red NT700 1983 VF750
Interesting, I might be free during that time and the fall colors should be started!

Bike
2011 NT700 ABS (Frodo)
Sounds like a great ride and at the perfect time of the year. Especially since you may have the time to take some back roads through some of the finest riding country the US has to offer. I saw your planned route, though I don't know the details. Some of my favorites near your routing include US 40, the National Road, through the midwest states. I'd have to add US 6 in PA towards or around Warren, perhaps on to the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" (photo from 2011 ride thereDSCN0032.jpg). And it looks like you've planned several back roads through the coal mining country between the two. Those are the kind of roads where the best of America lives on. Awesome ride, and some with your brother, no less.

Oh yeah, I'm jealous.

Ride well.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
Oil changed, new windscreen on, AeroStich waterproofed (pants), jacket (too cheap to buy new Aero, waiting for good used one)waterproofed, and planning on what to pack. Looks like 50's and mornings in 30 perhaps, beats 90's. GPX loaded, reservations made, now if I just don't crash I should be good for the ride.

My brother purchased some real riding clothes, and if he'd only wear a real helmet he will be all set (half helmets are not touring helmets) too.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Hard for me to fathom that it has been more than twenty years since I retired out of Ft Campbell in Kentuckasia. The gate that goes to the HQ is in Tennessee. Enjoy your ride.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Some of my favorites near your routing include US 40, the National Road, through the midwest states....Papa Lou]

US 40 across IN and OH is pretty flat and featureless, unless you like to look at deserted motels, gas stations, and eateries that have been closed for decades; conversely, there are sections of US 40 in PA and MD where it's a nice road with curves, hills, and interesting little towns but you have to know how to find those spots.

In most places, US 40 has been replaced by the interstate system.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 red NT700 1983 VF750
I may go to my sister place in NY soon. I like to travel through Warren Pa. area. if I'm that way during you time frame perhaps we can ride back to Mi. together. I'll pm you my nu. Jim
Either way many happy and safe miles to you and your brother!

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I only do days about 250 miles. My brother on his horrible H-D trike (Freewheeler, he has spend a couple of thousand trying to make it better), has lowered my days travel. Solid rear axle on a trike make riding feel like you on a tractor. I suggested he get a GW trike, he choose a complete setup from a manufacture and regrets it.
So shorter days, colder weather, great time to ride.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
Well, good plans do not make a ride. Turns out my brother just does not want to do the ride. Had to change to short ride, then home. Only first day stayed the same, so headed home on Saturday for Cincy. I return to winterize RV earlier then planned. I try to accommodate his style, should of guessed he was not up to planned ride. He only had a month to think about the ride. I even loaned him a pair of SIDI gloves to wear because his gloves where not up to the cold.

Top Bottom