OEM battery still going

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have 47,000 miles and 40 months on my original battery. Should I start worrying about a failure from left field?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
They work till they don't. Sometimes the die suddenly and sometimes they give warning signs IF you are paying close attention. And sometimes the warning sign comes immediately before the failure. Good battery care extends the life expectancy, but there are no gaurnetees. I'd guess average life is about 5 years, but I know some that failed after 3 years. I replaced mine after 4 years for peace of mind. I've found that it is much easier to replace a battery in my shop than on the roadside. That is particularly true if they have to order the battery and it comes in next week. (I waited 3 weeks for my last one which I ordered through my local parts store)

I use old batteries to power the lights in my enclosed trailer or power the emergency break-away electric brakes on my trailers. There are always uses for batteries that work. They could go in a lawn mower or lawn tractor, game camera, small engine starter (compressor/generator/etc). Loan them to a neighbor - or if it is almost dead give it to someone you don't like.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
My battery is 6 years old with about 65,000 miles and will probably give out this year. It's starting to get tired when the weather is cold.

My bike is in for a Service on 7th November so I'll get it replaced then.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
My battery will be 7 YO in December and is still going strong. I use a tender if the bike sits for long periods between rides but it never needs lomg to top it up.

Macka

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I would replace it but that has to do with my not wanting to deal with problens on the road. I replace the battery in car and motorcycle every four years.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The NT700V is fitted with a Gel battery and Gel batteries in my experience give little warning of failure.

If you ride the bike daily or every other day the battery will last much longer than you would normally expect BUT if you ride the bike irregularly (like I and many others do) the battery will fail unexpectedly and probably without any warning.

Mine failed at about 40 months and twice when I went to start the bike the battery did not have enough power to turn the starter motor even though it had been on a battery tender a couple of days or a week earlier.

Seagrass

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The OEM NT battery is a AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery which is not the same as a Gel battery.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mine is still the original (2010) My bike lives in a heated garage and gets the Battery Tender plugged in when I park it.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The OEM NT battery is a AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery which is not the same as a Gel battery.
Thanks Warren, my mistake. I tend to interchange the two types even though I know they are different (partly due to most people in Australia referring to AGM batteries as Gel batteries)

My comments relate to my experience with AGM batteries like those fitted to the NT700v and many other vehicles as OEM fitment these days.

Seagrass

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Clay, if you are willing to remove the batt from the bike, take it to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store where they will test it for free.

Mike

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got one of those deals that I carry, too. Mine's not the same as this one, but very similar. It'll charge everything I've got and has worked to start my Buick and Joanne's CR-V just fine. Easy to carry and a great backup.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks for all the input guys. I ride at least once a week unless the weather is downright miserable, so I feel good about the battery for now
I'm going to buy one of those jumper doomaflotcheys, but first, I have to get a rear tire

My daughter, who is getting her Masters degree in December AND has already landed her first big job is beginning the newest chapter in her life and moving to Chicago after living in San Antonio all her life. (not a bad place to live your whole life :cool:) So I am going to meet her in Austin to have a last meal together before she goes off into the Big World.
And yes...I'm bragging on her. Amazing kid...

I just went to look at my rear Roadsmart II I bought 9,000 miles ago...its not up to the trip. Ive been watching it and knew I was getting close. It could probably make it, but last time I rode to south TX I had a tire issue on a better looking tire and don't want a repeat
So its a caged run for me
First new tire
Battery Jumper doohickey
Wait for battery to scare me

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm not too worried about my OEM battery, still the original from Dec 2009. One question I have is related to the huge size of the battery clamps on that jump start device.

Will those jaws actually get into the tight confines around the battery positive post?

Top Bottom