OEM Top Box Key blank

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Anyone get a replacement key for the OEM topcase. I purchased one on Ebay complete ($50 complete w/base-yes OEM TopCase), but only one key came with case. I had a Givi key and that key was fatter then the Honda OEM key and groove was different.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
+1 on the locksmith. I had two additional keys made for the ignition ($6.00 for the two), Two keys for the Yamaha XS650, same price, and an extra key for the CooCase ($3.00). They don't have the fancy plastic on them, but they work fine.

bicyclist

I had a couple of spares made from Ilco blanks. One has the numbers x111 and ym55 on it and the other is marked 1605.

Last year, I lost the topcase key and my spare was locked inside the topcase. I pushed out the hinge pins and was able to squeeze my hand in enough to get the spare. Now I carry the spare elsewhere.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My OEM top box spare is an ILCO X132. Local locksmith charged $3.80 for the blank and cut it to fit.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I had a locksmith make me some from my original. Real cheap. The guy was great. I rode the bike down so he could see the lock too. At first it seemed like he was struggling a bit.
When I asked him if he was not going to be able to copy it he says, "Oh, we're GONNA make a key!" A Can-Do locksmith

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Our one locksmith here is mobile. He has a shop in his house, but does all his business out of a largish van which is a complete shop. He has a genset for power and uses a bus heater for heat. One wall of his van is covered with a cabinet with small drawers for his blanks all nicely labeled. You simply call him and he meets you wherever you tell him.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Our one locksmith here is mobile. He has a shop in his house, but does all his business out of a largish van which is a complete shop. He has a genset for power and uses a bus heater for heat. One wall of his van is covered with a cabinet with small drawers for his blanks all nicely labeled. You simply call him and he meets you wherever you tell him.
The locksmith I went to was next to shady looking bar and strip joint. I simply carry protection (no not kind!!), go during the day time, and keep my head on a swivel. Kinda fun travelling to the dark side, reminds me of younger years in foreign ports.

When I got home I drank a cold root beer.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I tend to stay away from sleazy areas. I do have a concealed carry permit for my Bowie Knife. I very rarely carry.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
do have a concealed carry permit for my Bowie Knife. I very rarely carry.
Alex, you just reminded me that my dad had a beautiful Bowie knife that he probably bought in the 40s or early 50s. I sure hope its still in his dresser.
It would sadden me to think someone lifted it and pawned it

Thinking about riding to LA to visit his grave this weekend

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Red,
If your dad's Bowie is a "Randall", it is worth many $$$. I would insure it and lock it up. You could probably do an even trade for another NT. I collect Bowie knives and have a couple dozen--some hand made and some knock offs. I have a Randall knock off. The Bowie is still the penultimate fighting knife. James Bowie was a big guy. The original knife was 17" overall length and had an 11.5" blade. One quarter of the blade was double edged, and the top of the blade had a brass sleeve designed to catch the opponent's blade. A lot of thought went into that knife.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I had a couple of spares made from Ilco blanks. One has the numbers x111 and ym55 on it and the other is marked 1605.

Last year, I lost the topcase key and my spare was locked inside the topcase. I pushed out the hinge pins and was able to squeeze my hand in enough to get the spare. Now I carry the spare elsewhere.
George,
Since the locksmith made me a bunch of ignition keys. I sewed a key inside each one of my jackets. I keep the spare top box key and wheel lock key in my right fairing pocket. If I leave my jacket in a pannier, then I make certain that I have the key in my pocket.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
If your dad's Bowie is a "Randall", it is worth many $$$. I would insure it and lock it up. You could probably do an even trade for another NT. I collect Bowie knives and have a couple dozen--some hand made and some knock offs. I have a Randall knock off. The Bowie is still the penultimate fighting knife. James Bowie was a big guy. The original knife was 17" overall length and had an 11.5" blade. One quarter of the blade was double edged, and the top of the blade had a brass sleeve designed to catch the opponent's blade. A lot of thought went into that knife.
The only thing I know for sure is the knife is much older than 1960. I also remember you could shave with it.
The only way to ID it is to drive to Louisiana and pray its still in the top drawer of his dresser, and then talk my stepmother into letting me take it. My fear is that my ne'er-do-well stepsister may have taken it

Bike
Bonneville T120
There is a locksmith in Bangor who has a brick and mortar shop. He is the go-to-guy for all of the locksmiths in eastern Maine. He is fantastic. I swear he has every key blank every made. Triumph charges an arm and a leg for blanks keys. This guy had suitable blanks and I think I payed $2 per key, maybe it was $3. The problem is he is getting near retirement and at least he doesn't see anybody coming along to take over.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
That's a real shame and more common than you think. We have a guy here in Belfast who repairs sewing machines--used to service the ones used in the shoe factories. He would love to teach his craft to someone and have them take over the business, There are no takers and this is a thriving business. Seems like nobody wants to work with their hands.

Top Bottom