OH Deer Another near hit.

Ok this never happened in 40+ years. Around Twilight evening near a river bottom. Around 60mph. Caught sight of a dear-at least 6points or more- on the grass about 30-40feet off the shoulder. Easy miss I think as I slow down and give a couple of toots on the horn to get him to go his merry way. Instead he comes toward the road nearing the paved shoulder. A couple more longer blasts from the horn and now he walks right into the pavement. Hmmm time to get on the brakes more than I already did. More horn and he walks straight into my path. More horn and more brake-getting close to about all I have. Suddenly he realizes something may be coming and starts trying to tear the pavement loose to get out of the way. This of course doesn't work so well-hooves and pavement-and he is sliding and falling all over the place trying to get any where but in front of me. Sort of comical except he is still in my way way. Finally he gets some traction and flies into the woods. My question is: are silver NT's invisible? All joking aside this was strange. And no I did not have the high beam on nor was it late twilght when visablity gets really poor. It was almost as if he was attracted to the horn and my approaching vehicle. My grandad's cows did that but they were going to get food out of the deal. Guess next time I see a deer anywhere near me I will walk the bike by him.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yes, deer can be anywhere between unpredictable and stupid. I've seen two of them run headlong into the side of an 18-wheeler. I also had one T-bone me on my bike. They have no concept of highway traffic, timing, or consequences. Don't trust them!!! One night, in my car, I had come to a complete stop for a doe and two fawns in the road. The doe and one fawn ran toward the woods and the second fawn ran right between my headlights as I sat at a stop. That signals how disoriented they can become.

Anyway, glad you didn't make contact. And you got to practice some hard braking. This is about the worst time of year for deer collisions as the bucks have nothing but breeding does on their mind. They just run hard following their nose to the next doe with an occasional scrap with another buck for dominance.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Deer are not wired to recognize a motorcycle as a threat. Put it in a wolf costume and you might have better luck than honking your horn.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Glad you didn't have a bigger issue.

Something weird happened to me today with an animal but it wasn't a deer. A bluejay flew in front of me. I missed him with the bike but he very slightly grazed my right thigh. Never had that happen before

Pretty strange.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Dan,
That happened to me recently as well--a bird I was unable to identify bounced off the fairing and kept on flying. The deer and Moose are out in force--during the day now because it is hunting season. Be careful.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dr, I'm glad you didn't hit that ram -- those things are solid!

Bike
2011 NT700v
Around here on the back roads you have to watch for gators. They ate all the deer and they like sun warmed pavement.

40 some years ago I got hit dead center on my helmet by an egret flying across US1. I was doing about 40 on a ym3 yamaha in between Boca Chica and Key West. It almost knocked me off my bike. The world went blank. I stopped quickly and didn't know why I couldn't see till I flipped up the visor. I was drenched in egret blood. The hit broke my visor at the hinge, the bird exploded all over me. If the flip down visor hadn't been there I'd have taken it right in the eyes. The guys at the Naval Air Station had it left over from a flight helmet and had installed it on my helmet for me the week before.

fltsfshr

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Not MC related, but bird strike related:

When I was a kid we lived on an air base near Marianna, FL. I had a paper route and delivered papers to Hangars #1 & 2. One afternoon every one was standing around looking at a T-28, a pretty big radial-engined primary flight trainer. One propellor blade was bent back nearly 90-degrees, the other about 45-degrees. The center panel on the cockpit was shattered (but intact) ...IIRC, it was something like 1 1/2"- 2" plexiglass... and the cockpit frame above it was bent back and down a noticeable amount.

A student pilot on his first solo flight in the T-28 had hit a buzzard at about 180 kts. He was immediately blinded and his engine was trying to shake itself out of the plane. He did what he was supposed to do: He shut down the engine, wiped his eyes and kept flying. There was blood everywhere and he first thought it was his. Then he noticed the feathers and guts and realized what he'd hit.

He called the tower and reported an emergency. They cleared the traffic pattern and he glided down from his perch at about 5,000' and made a perfect power-off landing.

I've always hoped he went on to a great career as an Air Force pillot.

BTW, our next-door neighbor at the base ran over an alligator that was about 8' long. His bumper put a hole in the gator's skull that looked like he'd hit it with an axe. The game warden could tell by the damage to the bumper of his old pickup that that had been the "murder weapon," and told him he could have the gator. He skinned it in his backyard and had the hide tanned and had a purse and a pair of shoes made for his wife. I don't know what (if anything) he did with meat. If he didn't eat it he missed a good deal. 'Cause you all know that alligator meat tastes just like chicken. :)

Top Bottom