Oil dipstick

I had a GL 650 Silverwing with the same type of oil cap/dipstick used on my NT. When checking the oil level on the Silverwing, it was not necessary to screw the cap in. You just inserted it in the top of the hole. Is that the same process used for the NT and does it matter if it’s on the side stand or center stand? Thanks

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Like RC said, you need the bike level to get a correct reading.

I wish that that the various manufacturers would get together on dipstick usage and standardize them.
With different vehicles, lawn equipment, etc it would be nice if they were all the same.
I may be dreaming that they would get together on it.

Arknt

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My latest Yamaha acquisition has a sight glass. Not sure initially if I would like it but it is pretty convenient. Also needs to be level on the center stand to be accurate.

What always struck me as strange was even motorcycles that don’t come with center stands, the instructions are to check the oil while the bike is upright and not on the side stand. 🤔

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My latest Yamaha acquisition has a sight glass. Not sure initially if I would like it but it is pretty convenient. Also needs to be level on the center stand to be accurate.
Warren it is convenient if you have a side stand. One of my employees purchased a new CB500X in 2015 and it has the sight glass but it has no center stand. He discovered that checking the oil level is a two person operation which is a PITA as George S. has pointed out.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
the instructions are to check the oil while the bike is upright and not on the side stand.
The bike needs to be upright. A reading on the side stand would not be consistent enough or dependable. If the bike or bags are loaded with weight the suspension may change then the reading would be incorrect as the bike tilts more or less. So the way is to have it checked in it's operating position which is upright.

I have a Kawasaki with a sightglass (no center stand), it works but I like a dipstick better. On person can do it, if they can see the sightglass and pull the bike upright with an arm on the handgrip.

Arknt

The bike needs to be upright. A reading on the side stand would not be consistent enough or dependable. If the bike or bags are loaded with weight the suspension may change then the reading would be incorrect as the bike tilts more or less. So the way is to have it checked in it's operating position which is upright.

I have a Kawasaki with a sightglass (no center stand), it works but I like a dipstick better. On person can do it, if they can see the sightglass and pull the bike upright with an arm on the handgrip.

Arknt
Of course I know that. I started riding over 50 years ago and have owned over 30 motorcycles and scooters. My point was you either need four long arms or a second person to check it properly since they don’t supply a center stand.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's not always available or convenient but you can lean the bike against a wall, as upright as possible.

I've never owned a bike with a sight glass for checking oil level but have worked on ST1100s with that feature and always found it difficult to see the oil level!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
... have worked on ST1100s with that feature and always found it difficult to see the oil level!
Weird, as I find it most convenient... (some oils tend to fog up the glass though, I use BelRay which keeps the guts of the engine nicely clean...)
However, during service I fill precise amount with metering cup, confirm by view-glass or dip-stick and that's it for the next 12,000km...

Top Bottom