Oil Filter Access Issue

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hello all, I'm a new NT700 owner. Did my first oil change today after receiving the bike a few days ago. I've watched the YouTube videos talking about access to the oil filter through the cutout in the center stand. Mine seems to be blocked, and I'd love some input here. I was (thankfully) able to remove the old oil filter using joint pliers, but would love to know if my center stand is bent (doesn't seem to be, as it operates normally), or why I don't seem to have the access that others might have. I'm attaching a couple of photos, which I'm hoping will help you see what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance! - Mike

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've never used that "access hole" to the oil filter and I've owned my NT since Dec 2009. I use Honda filters and have a Honda filter cap wrench then use either box end wrench or my ratcheting combination wrench. And I always remove the filter with the bike up on the centerstand.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Your center stand has the access hole. It is the triangular shaped hole in the upper left of the center stand. It is designed to allow a socket extension to go thru the hole and be inserted into the oil filter wrench (cup style). You then use a 3/8" drive ratchet to loosen the filter. If you don't have the proper cup style filter wrench, take your filter to the auto parts store and find one that fits the filter properly. The readily available filter for the bike is a Wix WL10000. Lisle makes a quality steel filter cup which is what I would recommend. The plastic filter cups aren't very durable. If you need help find the right cup, reply back and I will do some digging to get you a part number.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Reactions: ett

ett

In my opinion; K&N 204 filter along with ratcheting box-end wrench makes oil filter access MUCH easier.

OP
OP
CArider
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I've never used that "access hole" to the oil filter and I've owned my NT since Dec 2009. I use Honda filters and have a Honda filter cap wrench then use either box end wrench or my ratcheting combination wrench. And I always remove the filter with the bike up on the centerstand.
I don't see how I could have enough space to do it that way (I tried), but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the input.

Your center stand has the access hole. It is the triangular shaped hole in the upper left of the center stand. It is designed to allow a socket extension to go thru the hole and be inserted into the oil filter wrench (cup style). You then use a 3/8" drive ratchet to loosen the filter. If you don't have the proper cup style filter wrench, take your filter to the auto parts store and find one that fits the filter properly. The readily available filter for the bike is a Wix WL10000. Lisle makes a quality steel filter cup which is what I would recommend. The plastic filter cups aren't very durable. If you need help find the right cup, reply back and I will do some digging to get you a part number.

Hope this helps!

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I tried getting my socket extension through that little triangular hole, but the downward "arm" was preventing it from going through. Perhaps I wasn't using the correct sized extension...maybe mine was too large in diameter. I'll try again next time. Thank you for your input. I will definitely look for the Lisle cup. Fortunately, I was able to complete the oil change using the joint pliers, but it was a bit frustrating to not feel like I had good access to the filter.

I use strap wrench.
This seems like the easiest way to do it, but the metal strap wrench I have wouldn't close small enough in diameter around the filter, so I'll probably buy one that fits and use that next time.

Thank you for all the responses. Much appreciated!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The Honda cap wrench when fully seated fits tightly over the Honda filter so there is adequate space for a wrench to come from below. The filter you're using may be a bit taller than a Honda filter?

And speaking of taller filters, beware of using one that it a lot taller because posters who've fitted those onto their NTs discovered that the centerstand would cut the filter when retracted!

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Honda cap wrench when fully seated fits tightly over the Honda filter so there is adequate space for a wrench to come from below. The filter you're using may be a bit taller than a Honda filter?

And speaking of taller filters, beware of using one that it a lot taller because posters who've fitted those onto their NTs discovered that the centerstand would cut the filter when retracted!
The cap wrench you will look for is 66mm with 14 flutes. When you do the oil change using this cap type wrench, you put it on the filter first and it will slip on the filter tightly as Dirt Flier sez. Then you insert a 3/8" drive extension thru the triangular hole and into the square drive hole on the cap. Using a 3/8" ratchet handle you can loosen the filter. Once the filter is loose, remove it the rest of the way with your hand. You will likely find it is easier to remove the cap wrench from the filter after you have it removed from the bike. Dirt Flier also mentioned a critical point
about the filter. Make certain that you compare the filter height to the old filter that you have removed. Many filters that are cataloged for the NT700 are too tall (even the older OE Honda filters) and will be punctured by the center stand when you take the bike off the stand. The only two filters that I am confident that will fit with no obstruction are the new Honda p/n 15410-MFJ-D02 or the Wix WL10000. Others may also fit but always compare the size before installing. One other thing I may mention is to tighten the filter "hand tight". Unless you have very weak grip strength, hand tight is all you need. This is equivalent to about 270° after the seal makes contact with the oil cooler housing.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
One trick I've learned when using the Honda oil filter wrench is how it is best released.

It is so tight on the lugs which is a good thing but it will not come off the installed new filter with mere hand force. I found that turning the wrench backwards (counterclockwise) just a hair will get it to release from the tightly fitting lugs, then it's a cinch to get it off. This is not loosening the filter and only making the wrench move very slightly on the lugs.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
One trick I've learned when using the Honda oil filter wrench is how it is best released.

It is so tight on the lugs which is a good thing but it will not come off the installed new filter with mere hand force. I found that turning the wrench backwards (counterclockwise) just a hair will get it to release from the tightly fitting lugs, then it's a cinch to get it off. This is not loosening the filter and only making the wrench move very slightly on the lugs.
Good idea!!I never thought of that, but since I hand tighten 'em it never occurred to me. I usually have to take a wrench or some tool and tap around the rim until it falls off. No biggie, but I have known some guys who get distracted and throw away the wrench with the old filter. I caught myself once rooting through the trash can to retreive my filter wrench.
:oops:
Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I once rode 20+ miles with that Honda filter wrench still attached. I stopped for gas in eastern IN and had to pay inside so when I walked out, I looked at my bike and wondered "What is that thing under my bike?" It was the Honda filter wrench! :)

More than once, one of my sons have taken the filter wrench home attached to the new filter after doing an oil change on their cars. Now I ask "Where is my filter wrench? before they leave my garage"

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hello all, I'm a new NT700 owner. Did my first oil change today after receiving the bike a few days ago. I've watched the YouTube videos talking about access to the oil filter through the cutout in the center stand. Mine seems to be blocked, and I'd love some input here. I was (thankfully) able to remove the old oil filter using joint pliers, but would love to know if my center stand is bent (doesn't seem to be, as it operates normally), or why I don't seem to have the access that others might have. I'm attaching a couple of photos, which I'm hoping will help you see what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance! - Mike
Here is a picture of the Honda oil filter wrench. I have had this for 30 years, bought it in 1993 for 5 bucks.

SAM_7684.JPGSAM_7685.JPG

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Honda wrench you pictured is much more substantial and higher quality than my Lisle wrench. I'd almost be willing to bet however, that the current Honda wrench is not of the same quality than your old one.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The Honda wrench you pictured is much more substantial and higher quality than my Lisle wrench. I'd almost be willing to bet however, that the current Honda wrench is not of the same quality than your old one.

Mike
And I would wager that you are correct.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Most tools these days are “how little can we make them for”. Old tools were “how good can we make them”. Mod

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Accidentally hit “post”

Modern manufacturing is much better than they had when making the old tools, but too often we don’t use it to best advantage. We make ‘‘em cheap so when we leave our wrench on the filters it’s no big deal:rofl1:

ett

Most tools these days are “how little can we make them for”. Old tools were “how good can we make them”. Mod
Accidentally hit “post”

Modern manufacturing is much better than they had when making the old tools, but too often we don’t use it to best advantage. We make ‘‘em cheap so when we leave our wrench on the filters it’s no big deal:rofl1:
That's because the bean-counters are in charge of everything now.

I was taught, that businesses are structured like the U.S. Government. ie. Three branches in government vs. three departments in business.
In business; you got Engineering, Sales, and Accounting. Let any one department get too much power, and the product; hence the business; will ultimately suffer.

Engineers will design and build something with no thought if it's financially possible to do so.
Salesmen will say whatever lies it takes to make a sale in the short term with no thought to the future.
Accountants will nickle-n-dime everything to death.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That's because the bean-counters are in charge of everything now.
I remember many years ago my father designed the dies to stamp out the Ford Pinto gas tanks. He provided estimates on cost per unit to produce the gas tanks designed by Ford engineers. Ford said “No - they must cost a maximum of about 25 cents less”. Sooo they made them thinner. Same thing happened with the straps that held the tanks up. The straps rusted through at an early age but the cars were sold by then and Ford didn’t care.

I'll add a short story about a trip my wife and I took several years ago. She was on a Honda PC800. In the morning at the motel, there were about a dozen Harley's and our bikes. The only bike with an oil puddle underneath was the PC800. The oil filter was leaking at the base. How embarrassing:eek: Well, obviously we didn't pack an oil filter wrench, but I was wearing a leather belt. I remembered an old, old trick I was told about. If you wrap the belt around the filter and run it through the loop and pull, you can put considerable torque on the filter. If you try it, you will figure it out. Just be sure to have things lined up to that you are pulling the filter in a twisting motion. Hope that makes sense. It also works to remove a filter in a pinch. If your filter is wiped dry, you belt will stay clean. Sometimes you need the filter just a TAD tighter than hand tight.

Cliff

Top Bottom